First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Yeah I did some preliminary Googling and even called the landscape supply place. They said a yard would be fine but I had my doubts. Gonna be safe and stick to half a yard.
Better safe than sorry I always say.
Sponsored

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Hell, I see idiots overloading trucks all the time in Tucson.
Why not ask if you can split it into three trips??

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
Granite is DENSE. A quick Google search says a cubic yard of decomposed granite will be nearly 3000 lbs. You'd be nearly double the rated payload for the truck. You could tow that on a trailer easy, but the factory rear suspension would be completely overloaded with that much weight squarely over the rear axle.

If you can split it to two half-yard trips, you'd be right at capacity. But should be OK.

OP
OP

afewgoodfingers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Be sure to place some sort of barrier at the tailgate. You do t want small stones getting stuck in the spaces.
I learned this the hard way with my first load of mulch. Still hear some in the bed everytime I open it. Drives me nuts. Thanks for the heads up!

OP
OP

afewgoodfingers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Granite is DENSE. A quick Google search says a cubic yard of decomposed granite will be nearly 3000 lbs. You'd be nearly double the rated payload for the truck. You could tow that on a trailer easy, but the factory rear suspension would be completely overloaded with that much weight squarely over the rear axle.

If you can split it to two half-yard trips, you'd be right at capacity. But should be OK.
Yeah I did one yard in two trips today and will tackle the 2nd tomorrow. Worked out because I didn't really factor in shoveling and wheel barrow time.

I'm dreaming up ways to find space for a small trailer. A little difficult in our current house but I'm working on it.

OP
OP

afewgoodfingers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Might be wise to rent a dump style trailer if you have a hitch instead of overloading your truck bed.
I decided to play it safe and split 1 yard up over two trips. Going for the 2nd tomorrow. Hitch is on my short list of must haves. Can't believe it's not standard on these trucks!

OP
OP

afewgoodfingers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Oh and can't believe I'd didn't mention but the truck handled the 1/2 yard of granite with no problem! I'm new to pickups and the notion of a vehicle driving better with a load is so foreign to me. Everything felt like it was working to carry the load comfortably and under control. Loving how it's opened up so many projects for my wife and I!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Oh and can't believe I'd didn't mention but the truck handled the 1/2 yard of granite with no problem! I'm new to pickups and the notion of a vehicle driving better with a load is so foreign to me. Everything felt like it was working to carry the load comfortably and under control. Loving how it's opened up so many projects for my wife and I!
Trucks are so light in the rear that they tend to "bounce" around while empty. Adding a load smoothens it out and you can add different rear shocks if you don't like the feel while empty. Just remember that although it's opened up many projects for the two of you your truck-less friends are counting on this too. ?

OP
OP

afewgoodfingers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I hauled some stones 2 months ago. I did 2 trips with 1/2 yard each weighing 1200 lbs. I needed a full yard but it was 20 miles home so I made 2 trips. I put 36 lbs in the rear tires.

0EEFDAB5-E959-4E72-B0C3-6B2806BF350E.jpeg

1E696F9D-CE9C-490F-BAD6-C4DAAE63C81D.jpeg
Awesome! Mine must have been near payload. I didn't weigh it or anything before I left. I'm always so frazzled trying to get away from the loaders that I never remember to get photos.

I'm debating a retractable bed cover but worried about using it to hauls big loads. Nice seeing yours in use as a truck with the bed cover.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
If someone were to attempt this, what would be your recommendation on the pressure? not saying I would ever risk it. I would just like to know
Look at the side of your tire. It will have the maximum tire pressure. If you're going to haul max. weight then I always inflate the tires to the max. pressure listed on the tire.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just don't be this guy, and you should be OK.
Ford-F-150-Owner-Exceeds-Payload-Capacity-001.jpg
Hi Mark,

I see this all the time on I 19....have to either back way off or pass them.... Poor F150...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored