First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Doing some landscaping this weekend and need a couple yards of decomposed granite for a walkway. Would love to make it in just two trips. Would I be overloading the truck with 1 yard of material? I have a 2019 4x4 scab for what it’s worth. Thanks and good luck on all of your projects this weekend! Also, sorry if there is a better place to post questions like this.
As a general rule.. here's what I do.

Inflate tires to max. pressure as listed on sidewall. Before they start to dump the load of aggregate (or whatever) in the bed tell them you will signal them when to stop. Look at the distance above the rear tires to the wheel well. Once that distance is the same as the front wheels, (Truck is level) tell them to stop.

That is a conservative approach and what I've always done.

004 1098 lbs.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Just don't be this guy, and you should be OK.
Ford-F-150-Owner-Exceeds-Payload-Capacity-001.jpg
LOL I have done many alignments over my 40 plus years of wrenchin and when you see rear camber out of spec you know it was over loaded or jumped ! Those payload numbers are there for a reason. Bret

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
but it's a truck. it can handle anything... anything. *

*sarcasm
I have a buddy with a Tacoma and he actually believes that. He consistently overloads it,
and he wonders why he's constantly replacing universal joints and wheel bearings.

He's always raving how great a Toyota is over any other vehicle. Makes me laugh

Last edited:

drcollie

First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat "Snow" edition
When exceeding payload capacity you’re at an increased risk of a tire blowout. Tires have weight limits posted on the sidewalls and exceeding them is never smart. Under normal circumstances you should be able to maintain control of your truck when a tire experiences catastrophic failure, but the excess payload may make it impossible to safely move off the road. In addition, any sudden movement of people or cargo could shift weight to one side of the vehicle, causing it to roll over and do so with deadly consequences. Indeed, approximately one-third of all vehicle deaths are attributed to rollovers according to NHSTA.

Other possible threats when payload limits are exceeded include transmission failure, especially as an overloaded truck climbs a steep hill. Furthermore, every bump, pothole or other road abrasion encountered will become magnified. The undercarriage of the truck might scrape the pavement, causing structural damage to the entire vehicle.

Also, if you get into an accident with an overloaded truck the legal consequences will be severe, and your insurance company may deny to pay on your behalf.

Bottom line, it's not worth it. Make two trips.

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Different beast, but not that long ago I hauled 3/4 crushed gravel in my utility trailer. I wanted 3/4 of a yard. He had put just about that into it and I thought the loader operator was going to stop, but then I guess he thought he was doing me a favor and unloaded the bucket.

i knew the trailer was overloaded. I thought if I drove slow (20 mph) on the 10 minute drive home, on paved, very low useage, cottage roads, I might be okay. I got home and thought whew, I made it, happy that the trailer did not fail on the road.

i got out of the truck and one wheel was at a 60° angle and the tire was through the plastic fender. (Figuring it out later, I was close to double the trailer capacity)

A truck is different than a single axle trailer, but the lesson is the same, overloading puts a lot of strain on components and is not safe.
Sponsored