1994 Ford Ranger Splash, do I buy? What should I be aware of?

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Hello all,

There is a 1994 Ford Ranger Splash with 70k miles, manual transmission. For 4k, clean title.. Will it have problems with smog in California if anyone knows?
d8a486fe60347f4bac4f22218b3cbd1c.png

Warm regards,
Brandon
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Dude.

I've eyeballed some Rangers of that vintage. Swap possibilities are vast. Coyote, EB, or you could get nutty with an RB26 or Ford Barra.

Do it.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I've seen a few of the old 2.3 stick shift Rangers with 300,000 miles on them. They're hard to beat. If it was near me I'd buy it right now.
Only concern I have is if it has electrical problems, I wonder if it would end up costing more to fix one of these up if it were pretty beat down. Jut odd its priced so well at 70k miles.. 150k miles is the average milage for 4k. Wondering what is wrong with this picture...

machinist85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Only concern I have is if it has electrical problems, I wonder if it would end up costing more to fix one of these up if it were pretty beat down. Jut odd its priced so well at 70k miles.. 150k miles is the average milage for 4k. Wondering what is wrong with this picture...
With it being a 1994 it has the old OBD1 system. Very simple and cheap to fix electrical problems. They rarely have issues anyway.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
With it being a 1994 it has the old OBD1 system. Very simple and cheap to fix electrical problems. They rarely have issues anyway.
Thank you. Good to know. I shall wait some more opinions before I pull the trigger. Appreciate your insight though, giving me more confidence in the purchase.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
@P. A. Schilke I feel you might have good insight on this and could help me decide with actual inside knowledge.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Nevermind sorry for pinging you Phil. I said "it all sounds too good to be true, it is a far drive for me, only reason I am asking all the questions" and he has not responded. Too suspicious for me.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I had a '93 2 wd reg cab 3.0 5 speed. Loved it for running around by my self in. If I got one cheap enough I'd do the V-8 swap into one.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
Have a compression test done on the motor. Very basic truck, shouldn't be a lot wrong with it. As long as it has had regular oil changes it should be good. Make sure it has all the emission equipment on it. For California I would not purchase it if it has been altered. Unless there's some way around that for a 94 vehicle.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
As others have mentioned, swap possibilities are almost limitless.

I'd do the Thunderbird TurboCoupe swap myself :devil:

And the Thundebird TurboCoupe seats will literally bolt right in as I had a set in my old Ranger and they were awesome!

Last edited:
OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
recent engine swap
Yeah… it’s a bit odd to me. Appreciate you highlighting this concern as well.
Have a compression test done on the motor. Very basic truck, shouldn't be a lot wrong with it. As long as it has had regular oil changes it should be good. Make sure it has all the emission equipment on it. For California I would not purchase it if it has been altered. Unless there's some way around that for a 94 vehicle.
I think it has been altered a bit that’s probably why he is selling maybe. Can’t pass smog.. I hold love to have an older truck just to learn manual and something to beat up on light trails. Appreciate the insight on the compression test. Good info.
As others have mentioned, swap possibilities are almost limitless.

I'd do the Thunderbird TurboCoupe swap my self :devil:

And the Thundebird TurboCoupe seats will literally bolt right in as I had a set in my old Ranger and they were awesome!
It would be really cool to do a build project on an older vehicle. Just wondering if it’s out of my capabilities or knowledge and taking on too much of its got smog issues and such. Thunderbird coupe would be beautiful ?
Sponsored