Should I worry about hauling 1 yard of decomposed granite

afewgoodfingers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Doing some landscaping this weekend and need a couple yards of decomposed granite for a walkway. Would love to make it in just two trips. Would I be overloading the truck with 1 yard of material? I have a 2019 4x4 scab for what it’s worth. Thanks and good luck on all of your projects this weekend! Also, sorry if there is a better place to post questions like this.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Doing some landscaping this weekend and need a couple yards of decomposed granite for a walkway. Would love to make it in just two trips. Would I be overloading the truck with 1 yard of material? I have a 2019 4x4 scab for what it’s worth. Thanks and good luck on all of your projects this weekend! Also, sorry if there is a better place to post questions like this.
If you had a Tacoma I'd say yes but seeing it's a Ranger your good. ?

BTW you can check out other things people have hauled in the post below. @HenryMac has hauled 1100 lbs of lumber without even feeling it.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/2019-rangers-hauling-things-thread.1760/post-172165

Jake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Crushed stone has a density of about 100 lb/C.F., give or take. 27 C.F. In a C.Y. So 100 lb/C.F. X 27 C.F. = 2700 lb which is alot more than the 1650lb payload of your truck. Would be fine to tow it or split it into a couple half yard loads in the bed.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not exactly sure what decomposed granite is, or how it relates in weight to crushed stone, but I hauled 1 yard of crushed stone in my super cab a while back. It definitely overloads it (they told me it was about 2500 pounds), but it handled it pretty well. The only negative is that the front end feels a bit light when you are driving. It didn't look like the front end was in the air, but it felt like it when driving.

I certainly wouldn't do it on a regular basis, but an occasional load like this seems to be doable if you are careful, don't go too far and take it easy. But maybe I'm just rolling the dice. :)

OP
OP

afewgoodfingers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Crushed stone has a density of about 100 lb/C.F., give or take. 27 C.F. In a C.Y. So 100 lb/C.F. X 27 C.F. = 2700 lb which is alot more than the 1650lb payload of your truck. Would be fine to tow it or split it into a couple half yard loads in the bed.
Thanks! This is kinda what I figured. May just stick to a half yard.

OP
OP

afewgoodfingers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I'm not exactly sure what decomposed granite is, or how it relates in weight to crushed stone, but I hauled 1 yard of crushed stone in my super cab a while back. It definitely overloads it (they told me it was about 2500 pounds), but it handled it pretty well. The only negative is that the front end feels a bit light when you are driving. It didn't look like the front end was in the air, but it felt like it when driving.

I certainly wouldn't do it on a regular basis, but an occasional load like this seems to be doable if you are careful, don't go too far and take it easy. But maybe I'm just rolling the dice. :)
Thanks for the reply. It's kind of like road base I guess. Very finely crushed granite. I may stick to a half of a yard.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the reply. It's kind of like road base I guess. Very finely crushed granite. I may stick to a half of a yard.
I hauled 3/4 minus (crushed plus fines). Sounds like something very similar - around here it is more limestone than granite I think.

I can absolutely attest it will do it, but it is definitely overloading the truck by a good margin. I did it as more of a torture test to see how it would handle it. I was pleased with the results.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I hauled 3/4 minus (crushed plus fines). Sounds like something very similar - around here it is more limestone than granite I think.

I can absolutely attest it will do it, but it is definitely overloading the truck by a good margin. I did it as more of a torture test to see how it would handle it. I was pleased with the results.
Hi Rob,

Did you bump up the tire pressure in the rear tires before hauling?

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Hi Rob,

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

If someone were to attempt this, what would be your recommendation on the pressure? not saying I would ever risk it. I would just like to know

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Rob,

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I should have, but I didn't. Honestly, the truck didn't LOOK overloaded - I was pretty impressed.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If someone were to attempt this, what would be your recommendation on the pressure? not saying I would ever risk it. I would just like to know
Hi Dave,

Not knowing the load actual weight, I would not exceed the sidewall Max pressure for sure, but would be within a few psi of Max pressure if possible. And being overloaded...take it slow. The visual tire bulge in not an accurate indicator of an overload condition.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Google may or may not be your friend, but my google-foo says:

How much does a cubic yard of decomposed granite weigh?
3,000 pounds

A cubic yard or often called a square yard of decomposed granite or crushed stone fines material typically weighs 3,000 pounds or 1-1/2 tons and will typically cost from 37.99 to 74.99 per yard depending upon where the job site is located, how many yards you purchase and how far away the quarry is.

GRAIN OF SALT CAUSE IT IS THE INTERNET, but I think think this is probably accurate since I've moved at least 500,000 yards of it doing gardening work demanded (I mean asked for) by my wife:angel:

OP
OP

afewgoodfingers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Google may or may not be your friend, but my google-foo says:

How much does a cubic yard of decomposed granite weigh?
3,000 pounds

A cubic yard or often called a square yard of decomposed granite or crushed stone fines material typically weighs 3,000 pounds or 1-1/2 tons and will typically cost from 37.99 to 74.99 per yard depending upon where the job site is located, how many yards you purchase and how far away the quarry is.

GRAIN OF SALT CAUSE IT IS THE INTERNET, but I think think this is probably accurate since I've moved at least 500,000 yards of it doing gardening work demanded (I mean asked for) by my wife:angel:
Yeah I did some preliminary Googling and even called the landscape supply place. They said a yard would be fine but I had my doubts. Gonna be safe and stick to half a yard.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
If you try it I hope you don't have to stop in a hurry. Or, heaven forbid, hurt you are someone else. There are maximum capacities published for a reason.
Sponsored