1994 Ford Ranger Splash, do I buy? What should I be aware of?

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I know I’m not a mechanical genius like many on here, but here’s my 2 cents. I think $4000 for a 1994 is too high. We bought a 1998 Ranger about 9 months ago for our son(the 4th one we’ve bought him over the years). It had $100,000 miles on it but was in VERY good shape. We paid $900.
Sponsored

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Yeah… it’s a bit odd to me. Appreciate you highlighting this concern as well.

I think it has been altered a bit that’s probably why he is selling maybe. Can’t pass smog.. I hold love to have an older truck just to learn manual and something to beat up on light trails. Appreciate the insight on the compression test. Good info.

It would be really cool to do a build project on an older vehicle. Just wondering if it’s out of my capabilities or knowledge and taking on too much of its got smog issues and such. Thunderbird coupe would be beautiful ?
Oh. Just noticed you're in CA.

Go ahead and forget about the TurboCoupe engine swap.

Maybe still a later 5.0 but being CA I don't know if I would even want to deal with all the red tape.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
I'm not sure about that one, but some of those had the plastic bed, I think the inner box was steel but the sides were plastic.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I know I’m not a mechanical genius like many on here, but here’s my 2 cents. I think $4000 for a 1994 is too high. We bought a 1998 Ranger about 9 months ago for our son(the 4th one we’ve bought him over the years). It had $100,000 miles on it but was in VERY good shape. We paid $900.
Thank you Tracy. I appreciate this insight. I think for now I will be holding off. Maybe if the vehicle was stock and not modified like this. No telling what they did. Now that $900 deal is one I would grab immediately!! Great find for your son.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Oh. Just noticed you're in CA.

Go ahead and forget about the TurboCoupe engine swap.

Maybe still a later 5.0 but being CA I don't know if I would even want to deal with all the red tape.
Yeah... Being in CA kind of changes a lot of things sometimes. This being one of them. I think I will be holding off. Appreciate all the comments though.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I'm not sure about that one, but some of those had the plastic bed, I think the inner box was steel but the sides were plastic.
Thanks Mike. Good info, even more reason for me to just hold off on something like this. Don't need a 4k money pit.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
Just keep looking. 4K is a lot for a 94 vehicle. Bring a magnet and check to see if there is a lot of bondo. Definitely have any vehicle checked for liens and previous accidents. Look at the way the body panels fit. I laugh at most of these car shows I watch. They get it back and media blast it. The cars are full of thick filler and rust. There are many signs of neglect on a car.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Just keep looking. 4K is a lot for a 94 vehicle. Bring a magnet and check to see if there is a lot of bondo. Definitely have any vehicle checked for liens and previous accidents. Look at the way the body panels fit. I laugh at most of these car shows I watch. They get it back and media blast it. The cars are full of thick filler and rust. There are many signs of neglect on a car.
That helps a lot. I thought 4k might of been a good deal but after yours and Tracy's comments about pricing for older vehicles I understand more. Appreciate you detailing all the little things to check for and how to check for them on an older vehicle. :bow:

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I find emotions get in the way of a good purchase. Be willing to walk away from making a deal. There should not be a lot of demand for a 94 Ranger. Take your time. I would pay more for a good vehicle over less for a poorly maintained one. Not 4K though.
Very true. Thank you for the wise words Brian.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
I find emotions get in the way of a good purchase. Be willing to walk away from making a deal. There should not be a lot of demand for a 94 Ranger. Take your time. I would pay more for a good vehicle over less for a poorly maintained one. Not 4K though. Another good thing to ask is that the car is not warmed up when you look at it. Get someone to start it and look at what is coming out of the exhaust. You can get a good idea of the condition of the motor. Look for any dripping fluids. I have a 2011 2.3L with 100 KM. The motor and manual transmission our fine.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I find emotions get in the way of a good purchase. Be willing to walk away from making a deal. There should not be a lot of demand for a 94 Ranger. Take your time. I would pay more for a good vehicle over less for a poorly maintained one. Not 4K though. Another good thing to ask is that the car is not warmed up when you look at it. Get someone to start it and look at what is coming out of the exhaust. You can get a good idea of the condition of the motor. Look for any dripping fluids. I have a 2011 2.3L with 100 KM. The motor and manual transmission our fine.
I read that online, make sure the vehicle isn't already running. Good tips especially the dripping fluids. I like the older 2000+ rangers a lot.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
The Ranger I own is very basic. An 2011 XL with roll up windows. I jack it up once in a while and look at the under carriage, It has a very light duty front suspension being a 2WD. I ordered some tie rod ends and wheel bearings, as I can feel the tires following the pavement contours, Ordered from Rock Auto. I checked the suspension wear by compressing the ball joints. Since I go up to the Mnts in the Winter I wire brushed some of the surface rust on the under carriage and rust painted the spot's. The rad support and seems of the vehicle get surface rust. I have destroyed the cloth seats.
It should last until I can order a 2024 Ranger. Hopefully getting the 2nd year of the vehicle, avoiding the first run. I would buy a FX4 PHEV Super Cab if it is offered and hopefully build a capable overlanding vehicle.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Here's my 2011. Its done me well ! Hopefully another Ford repeat customer.

DSCN2589.JPG

DSCN2590.JPG
It's beautiful :inlove: looks like it gets out there with some camping. Good stuff. Thanks for the pics Brian, great scenery too.
Sponsored