Should I Buy 2 New Rangers or Wait for Courier

Brett Stone

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 X 2006 Ford Rangers and 1 B4000 work vehicles.
Occupation
Landscaper
Hi, I will be retiring 2 Rangers next season that I use for my Landscape business. I was set to purchase 2 new Rangers in base configuration, however, the upcoming Courier looks like it may be an even better fit for my application. These will just be used for push spreader fert/squirt routes (light cargo) and occasionally to haul a light single axle trailer

I know this is speculation but when do you expect to see these trucks in showrooms? Has COVID bumped them way down the road? Also how long does it usually take cap makers to produce a cap for a new model of truck? I will need something like the Leer Mid/High Rise cap to keep tools secure and dry.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Brett Stone

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Landscaper
From what I've read it looks as though I could get AWD Couriers for a few k less than a 2wd base Ranger.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
I hadn't heard of this yet. Hmmmm, maybe I do live under a rock after all. Pulled up some artist renderings and I am surprised how much it looks like a Subaru Brat from long ago.
If it is slated to be a 2022, and they decide to build them, you could see one in late 2021.

OP
OP

Brett Stone

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Landscaper
From what I can tell starts 5k less than Ranger. AWD adds about 1200. Should tow what a Ridgeline tows. looks like Short bed 4dr and Long Bed Single Cab/behind seat access.

Looks perfect for my work trucks.

Anyone remember how long Leer took to get a cap out for the new Ranger or any other new model?

Lone

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Hot Pepper
I hadn't heard of this yet. Hmmmm, maybe I do live under a rock after all. Pulled up some artist renderings and I am surprised how much it looks like a Subaru Brat from long ago.
If it is slated to be a 2022, and they decide to build them, you could see one in late 2021.
Artist renderings and specs have been all over the board and rumors have been rampant for at least 2 years. My favorite rendering was a Fiat pickup with a Ford nose photoshoped, probably the Bratish one you saw. Latest speculation is a pickup based on the Bronco Sport (super Escape) and with the Maverick name. I learned a long time ago, with Ford you wait a month or so after a new vehicle is in the showroom before you speculate on what Ford has done.

OP
OP

Brett Stone

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Landscaper
Large dealership here told me to wait early 2021 but that was March before COVID. They definitely going with Inexpensive small unibody configurations.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP

Brett Stone

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Landscaper
So what was the timeline on caps for the new model Ranger? Does anyone know?

If I'm 6 months out on a cap for the Courier after release on top of the release wait, I may grab the Rangers or possibly Frontiers as they going super cheap because of the new model

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
If it were my business I’d buy two Rangers. If you do your own service work and keep them a long time having two of the same vehicle makes diagnosing problems much easier!

Deleted member 1634

If you can wait, it might be worth waiting until you can at least see what the Courier/Maverick actually is and can do. I wouldn't make a choice on speculation, but I'm a textbook over-thinker when it comes to things like this. haha

I've been ridiculed already on here for saying the Courier/Maverick will actually probably be the kind of truck most people need. But unfortunately it'll probably not do too well since America is all about excessively big and powerful things. I have a feeling this new truck will about the same size and capability as the old gen Rangers, and those did just fine for many years. If it's cheap (relatively), small, capable, and simple then I think Ford can steal the void that'll be left when the updated Frontier comes out. People like you and your business.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
I've heard some report that the maverick/courier will use the driveline from a transit connect. the connect can haul 2k when its kitted out for trailers. I see a ton of them around here for all kinds of deliveries...even some personal vehicles since they can be set up for handicap access easily and are apparently easy to drive and plenty of room.

OP
OP

Brett Stone

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Landscaper
I really like the fwd aspect with possibility of AWD for less than a base 2wd Ranger. My 2wd trucks are basically useless in the Winter. I don’t need them much and not willing to pay premium for 4wd but the Courier should have decent traction w/proper Winter tires if needed.

yea I weight down the beds on the Rangers when I need them but mileage sucks and they still don’t pull up a hill like FWD.

Ranger Chaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I seen where they said that the bed is going to be like 2 ft shorter than the ranger. 4 ft or 3 ft is not a lot of space. Too small in my opinion.

Deleted member 1634

I seen where they said that the bed is going to be like 2 ft shorter than the ranger. 4 ft or 3 ft is not a lot of space. Too small in my opinion.
Dealer here says over 5’ for 2dr. Mid 4’ for 4dr.

plenty for my applications.
This highlights perfectly the inaccuracy of assumption and speculation. That's one of the reason I would say to wait and see what it actually is if possible. We don't know the true details.