Should I Buy a 2019 Ranger or 2019 Ridgeline?

YouknowwhatImean

First Name
Zack Mayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 XLT Ranger; '17 6spd WRX
Hi,
We are looking to replace our Hyundai Santa Fe sport with a truck. Mostly for hauling; and a lot of DIY projects next few years. It will mostly be her daily driver. I'm going to stick to my '17 WRX.

We are torn and have tried all the midsizes:

Tacoma: don't like seating/comfort. Too cramped feeling. Not much offroading planned so we don't care.

Frontier: old design; gas guzzler; more work truck vibe than a daily-driver.

Colorado: I like it -- esp how it drives/handles. Don't trust Chevy reliability, however. The V6 LT is something between the ridgeline and Ranger in terms of design, handling and drive. Interior is dated. But I feel the truck is capable and well thought out. Too bulky for the wife and she didn't like the lack of safety and luxury features.

Ridgeline: We like it. Nagged that it isn't a 'real' truck. Feel we might regret buying it if we did. However, it is one of the most well thought out design -- from the bed to the cargo area in the backseat. The v6 is nice. Let's not mention luxury and safety features. Almost engineered to perfection for most truck driver 'needs.'

Ranger: We like the looks. The drive is nimble and the engine is sporty even though it's a turbo 4-banger. It also feels rugged and built for durability. The price is ridiculous. However, given the numerous rebates and incentives -- it has come back to earth somewhat. Feels like an unfinished product though. These are small but they add up: no tailgate dampening. No default in-bed liner. No bumper step for access to the bed. Backseat is horrid. C'mon, anemic under seat storage; back rest does not lay flat; and not 60/40. Is it a great engineering feat to have a usable 60/40 folding backseat??

So we are down to the Ridgeline or Ranger. The wife and I want to get the Ranger but it feels incomplete and poorly thought out for the price point. That leaves the Ridgeline, but we aren't crazy on how it looks and feel we'll be forever nagged that it isn't a real truck. But it is so well designed and with Honda reliability. As for resale down the road --- we feel the Ranger will be more attractive to a larger demographic than the Ridgeline would.

It is almost down to a coin toss at this point. Sigh.
Sponsored

NateS415

First Name
Nate Schroeder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Hi,
We are looking to replace our Hyundai Santa Fe sport with a truck. Mostly for hauling; and a lot of DIY projects next few years. It will mostly be her daily driver. I'm going to stick to my '17 WRX.

Tacoma: don't like seating/comfort. Too cramped feeling. Not much offroading planned so we don't care.

Colorado: I like it -- esp how it drives/handles. Don't trust Chevy reliability, however. The V6 LT is something between the ridgeline and Ranger in terms of design, handling and drive. Interior is dated. But I feel the truck is capable and well thought out. Too bulky for the wife and she didn't like the lack of safety and luxury features.

Ridgeline: We like it. Nagged that it isn't a 'real' truck. Feel we might regret buying it if we did. However, it is one of the most well thought out design -- from the bed to the cargo area in the backseat. The v6 is nice. Let's not mention luxury and safety features. Almost engineered to perfection for most truck driver 'needs.'

Ranger: We like the looks. The drive is nimble and the engine is sporty even though it's a turbo 4-banger. It also feels rugged and built for durability. The price is ridiculous. However, given the numerous rebates and incentives -- it has come back to earth somewhat. Feels like an unfinished product though. These are small but they add up: no tailgate dampening. No default in-bed liner. No bumper step for access to the bed. Backseat is horrid. C'mon, anemic under seat storage; back rest does not lay flat; and not 60/40. Is it a great engineering feat to have a usable 60/40 folding backseat??

So we are down to the Ridgeline or Ranger. The wife and I want to get the Ranger but it feels incomplete and poorly thought out for the price point. That leaves the Ridgeline, but we aren't crazy on how it looks and feel we'll be forever nagged that it isn't a real truck. But it is so well designed and with Honda reliability. As for resale down the road --- we feel the Ranger will be more attractive to a larger demographic than the Ridgeline would.

Well seeing as this is a Ranger forum, I will say most people on here will go with the Ranger lol.

Manny

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

I thought you were looking for a truck, the Ridgeline is a car with a bed.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Well seeing as this is a Ranger forum, I will say most people on here will go with the Ranger lol.
In the other place he posted this I said it sounds like a ridgeline is a better choice for him. If you don't value the things the ranger brings to the table (decent off road ability, power, bed capacity, etc.) and do value the things the ridgeline brings to the table (on road comfort, carrying people, interior cargo) then why get the ranger? (Honestly, I'd even question the move away from a small SUV or crossover--renting a small trailer from u-haul a few times a year for projects is much more sensible than buying a truck to haul things a few times a year, if you really value the interior more than the bed. Their $15 4x7 trailer has a physically larger and heavier payload than a ranger and you can pull it with a Santa Fe.)

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

Just FYI, from someone who has lived with it for 3 weeks now - the back seat is not that bad. It is very comfortable and I was surprised how much I could store under it. The rest of the truck is AWESOME. I still smile every time I drive it.

IMO, the Ridgeline is odd looking and I think the resale on it will be extremely low. It doesn't have widespread appeal.

Dennis Harvey

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Just have to weigh the pros / cons, figure out what works best for your needs, and go with whatever winds up being the best fit. At the end of the day you're the one forking over the cash and hopefully you're happy with your decision. I liked my 2014 Tacoma a lot (couldn't pay me to buy a 2016+ Tacoma though) and I like the Ranger a lot more...equally capable off-road, a top priority for me, and way more comfortable on my long commutes.

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue

Not really a tossup. The Ridgeline ticks all of your boxes other than it's not a "real" truck.If you aren't seriously offroading, towing, then you don't need a real truck. Right tool for the job. You are going to be much happier in a Ridgeline. Personally, I don't think they look too bad, but I'm hoping to be offroading at some point and I want the larger bed of the Supercab.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I will also add that for me, "honda reliability" means that the engine and transmission fall apart from an unacknowledged but well known set of issues. Any car you buy is a roll of the dice, and there's no nameplate you can buy to guarantee there won't be any problems.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I had the exact same thoughts, I looked at Ridgeline and it has a lot going for it. But t the end of the day I didn't want a Pilot with a bed, Also Honda like Toyota is not the same company it was years ago. After a test drive, I felt the Ranger was 100X better than my 2016 Tacoma. IT felt like a truck and the engine has been in use since 2015 tuned to 350HP in the Focus RS at the time and 300HP used in the Lincoln MKC. At the end of the day, the Ranger is not "new" and has been road tested for a while internationally.

The 10-speed transmission was designed by both GM and Ford together,
!!!
Here are some 2.3 engine applications and dates. Hope this helps and good luck with your final decision

Applications[edit]
  • 270 hp (201 kW; 274 PS) at 5500 rpm, 310 lbâ‹…ft (420 Nâ‹…m) at 3000 rpm
  • 280 hp (209 kW; 284 PS) at 5600 rpm, 310 lbâ‹…ft (420 Nâ‹…m) at 3000 rpm
  • 285 hp (213 kW; 289 PS) at 5500 rpm, 305 lbâ‹…ft (414 Nâ‹…m) at 2750 rpm
  • 300 hp (224 kW; 304 PS) at 5500 rpm, 310 lbâ‹…ft (420 Nâ‹…m) at 3000 rpm
  • 310 hp (231 kW; 314 PS) at 5500 rpm, 320–350 lbâ‹…ft (434–475 Nâ‹…m) at 3000 rpm
  • 350 hp (261 kW; 355 PS) at 6000 rpm, 350 lbâ‹…ft (475 Nâ‹…m) at 3200 rpm
  • 385 hp (287 kW; 390 PS) at 6000 rpm, 369 lbâ‹…ft (500 Nâ‹…m) at 3200 rpm
  • 276 hp (206 kW; 280 PS) at 5500 rpm, 310 lbâ‹…ft (420 Nâ‹…m) at 3000–4000 rpm

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
If you still feel the Ranger is unfinished, wait a few months to see if MY2020 makes any changes.

I came from a 2015 Colorado and liked the idea of the split rear seat with fold flat ability. But how often did I use the flat surface ? 2 times in 4 years. The split seat cushion was more of a nuisance because under seat storage went across the entire seat. If I needed something that had shifted to the other side, I'd have to walk around and open the other side. While I would like the seat to fold flat in the Ranger, it wasn't a deal breaker for me. If you have so much shit to store in the vehicle, you need an SUV, not a truck.

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
It all comes down to if you want a real body on frame truck or not. The Ranger is going to be a tougher vehicle and definitely has a more adventurous look to it. Like a friend told me the Ranger is “cute in a boyish way” whereas there’s nothing really cute about the Ridgeline. With that said, however I think for your use and what you value you’d be happier in a Ridgeline. I think the Ranger looks a lot cooler and definitely has a lot of advantages over the Ridgeline for someone who wants to do truck stuff, but for your use you might be happier with the Ridgeline.

DBRanger

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4X4 2007 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
A wise man said "Never let perfection spoil a good thing". There are things I love about My Ranger, and some things not so much. In Total, it is the finest piece of machinery I have ever owned. I care not about soft closing tailgates or bumper steps. The backseat is perfect for kids. If you are going to be schlepping 4 adults around buy a minivan.

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
It all comes down to if you want a real body on frame truck or not. The Ranger is going to be a tougher vehicle and definitely has a more adventurous look to it. Like a friend told me the Ranger is “cute in a boyish way” whereas there’s nothing really cute about the Ridgeline. With that said, however I think for your use and what you value you’d be happier in a Ridgeline. I think the Ranger looks a lot cooler and definitely has a lot of advantages over the Ridgeline for someone who wants to do truck stuff, but for your use you might be happier with the Ridgeline.
Let's be politically correct here, the Ranger is "boyish", the Ridgeline is gender neutral.

OP
OP
YouknowwhatImean

YouknowwhatImean

First Name
Zack Mayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 XLT Ranger; '17 6spd WRX
Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the responses. We haven't made up our minds yet. We are undecided. The responses will help one way or another.

I am posting here thinking we are NOT the only ones who went through this process. Hopefully someone else can share their purchase decision process. Share if they were at similar crossroads.

And the fact I posted in a Ranger forum should tell you I am looking for the pros/cons of having the Ranger.

In fact, the wife is sold on the Ranger. I am the one holding off on pulling the trigger.

Sure, we could get a trailer and hitch it to the Hyundai. Meh, not convenient.
Sure, I could run out and rent trucks from Uhaul over the weekend to do projects. Meh.
Sure, I could even hire someone with a truck from craigslist as needed. Big Meh.

Fact is trucks have come so far that they can easily be multipurpose --- one of which is being a DIY vehicle and a daily-driver. We are talking mid-size, not half ton.
Sponsored