First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
I'm starting to really consider trading my Tacoma for a Ranger. I'll definitely go test drive one to see if it suits what I want from a mid sized truck, because the Tacoma sure doesn't. What I'm debating is whether I go and pull the trigger on a 2019, or wait for info on the 2020 and/or Raptor. I'd really hate to go trade for a '19, then see a 2020 Raptor, or a TT V6 option get released or something like that, and then want to trade again in another year. I wonder what kind of hit a guy will take if buying a Ranger and then trading/selling within 2-3 years if it happens. Supposedly my 2017 Tacoma should have held its value very well, but that's to be determined when I decide to let it go.
Sponsored

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You should see good incentives on 2019s in September if there are a lot of leftovers. frankly I don't think the 2020 is going to be a whole lot better than the 2019. Raptor is a different animal. Everything I've read states the raptor will not be 2020 vehicle. But you can make a Lariat into a Raptor, which is a Ford OEM package for a whopping $13,000 more.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
You should see good incentives on 2019s in September if there are a lot of leftovers. frankly I don't think the 2020 is going to be a whole lot better than the 2019. Raptor is a different animal. Everything I've read states the raptor will not be 2020 vehicle. But you can make a Lariat into a Raptor, which is a Ford OEM package for a whopping $13,000 more.
I would agree, although there was a rumor that there was going to be "additions" and "cool stuff" in the 2020 MY. Maybe more colors and a few more options? I don't think it will change significantly since it will only be another 2-3 years before the real refresh comes. I'd think the details on what changes will be in the 2020 will be released in the next 4-6 months - that is just a guess, however. They are continuing Ranger 2019 production later than normal so the 2020 might be available later as well.

After having driving a 2019 Tacoma and a 2019 Ranger, I am VERY happy with my Ranger - WAY happier than I would have been if I had bought a Tacoma. Comfort, power and interior amenities are all better in the Ranger. The only place I can see the Tacoma being better is (potentially) hard core off-roading - and I think that could be fixed with some suspension upgrades.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
Hope you enjoy your test drive of the new Ranger. Let us know what you think about it.

I doubt there will be a Ranger Raptor in 2020. Ford has their new Bronco coming out then. Unlikely Ford would want to take the wind out of the sails of either the new Ranger or new Bronco by over egging the pudding with a third mid sized option so soon.

Also doubt you will see a good sized V6 in the Ranger either due to size constraints or safety crash testing going by what I have read. That is all from internet talk so take it with a grain of salt. Does not make sense to me for there to be big changes or a model refresh so quickly after the new 2019 model release this year.

You could always lease with option to buy if unsure. At lease end you would know if you wanted to buy. There may be more concrete news on a larger engine or Raptor by then.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
I'll keep it short. Hold off till the fall. Yes go drive one, but don't pull the trigger just yet. Your trade will be worth just the same then also.
I will say this tho, Ford is one up over the Taco. As long as it stays just as dependable.

jjmanzano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS
I am loving my 2019 Lariat Ranger. I am not sure i will upgrade if/when the Raptor arrives (2022?). Plus it’s much cheaper than a Ranger Raptor would run. I would recommend waiting until end of the year deals and consider a 2019 Ranger. Just my 2 cents.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I'm starting to really consider trading my Tacoma for a Ranger. I'll definitely go test drive one to see if it suits what I want from a mid sized truck, because the Tacoma sure doesn't. What I'm debating is whether I go and pull the trigger on a 2019, or wait for info on the 2020 and/or Raptor. I'd really hate to go trade for a '19, then see a 2020 Raptor, or a TT V6 option get released or something like that, and then want to trade again in another year. I wonder what kind of hit a guy will take if buying a Ranger and then trading/selling within 2-3 years if it happens. Supposedly my 2017 Tacoma should have held its value very well, but that's to be determined when I decide to let it go.
My philosophy is, buy based on whether you like what is offered. There will always be a "what if"...
I bought the best offered 2001 Ranger and kept it for 18 years. Every year there were rumors of a new Ranger and complaints that it was too old in styling.
The(1992) Ranger before that I kept for 9 years and 200,000 miles, they changed the body style in 1993:whew:.
Buy what you like,... chasing Rainbows can be both disappointing and expensive.:like:

7214.jpg

Last edited:

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge ST, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat

No need to wait until September.

https://www.carsdirect.com/deals-articles/ford-offering-up-to-2-000-off-ranger-pickups-in-april

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
If your waiting for something better you'll always be waiting. If you find a Ranger you like test drive and if you like it buy it. From everything I've been reading Ford says no Raptor in this US gen maybe the next gen.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

rdm3671

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150
Ordered a month ago, doing the wait thing. Just told the wife today I’ll be ordering a Raptor in 2022. She didn’t say no so I took that as a yes.

Bubbabiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
I'm also holding out for the 2022 Ranger Raptor.

Fjsteven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 Sport
My guess is Raptor in the next gen. I think that’s about 2022. I would guess America would not like that diesel option in a raptor since the 2.3 nearly matches it in power. So they have to figure out how to shoehorn the 2.7 in there and that’s more cost effective when they first design it than trying to cram it into what we have now.

OP
OP
treimche

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Thanks for all the great responses. I guess I didn't even think about leasing since I have always bought instead of leased, but that could be a great option in this case. You are all totally right when talking about waiting for the next best thing. A guy could sit and wait forever.

My two hangups on buying a new Ranger. 1. It's the first model year of a new vehicle, so there will most likely be issues/recalls to deal with. and 2. Reliability is to be determined. But a 3 year lease could be the fix for that potential problem.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all the great responses. I guess I didn't even think about leasing since I have always bought instead of leased, but that could be a great option in this case. You are all totally right when talking about waiting for the next best thing. A guy could sit and wait forever.

My two hangups on buying a new Ranger. 1. It's the first model year of a new vehicle, so there will most likely be issues/recalls to deal with. and 2. Reliability is to be determined. But a 3 year lease could be the fix for that potential problem.
For item 1 - it really isn't model year #1. The bulk of the vehicle (except for the powertrain and some sheet metal) is the same as it has been around the world for the last 8 years. The powertrain isn't even new really either - the 2.3 has been proven in the Mustang and Focus and the 10 speed has been proven in the F-150. So there really isn't much truly "new" in this truck.

That is my take on it.
Sponsored