Buy 2019, 2020, or wait for Raptor?

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I'm starting to really consider trading my Tacoma for a Ranger. I'll definitely go test drive one to see if it suits what I want from a mid sized truck, because the Tacoma sure doesn't. What I'm debating is whether I go and pull the trigger on a 2019, or wait for info on the 2020 and/or Raptor. I'd really hate to go trade for a '19, then see a 2020 Raptor, or a TT V6 option get released or something like that, and then want to trade again in another year. I wonder what kind of hit a guy will take if buying a Ranger and then trading/selling within 2-3 years if it happens. Supposedly my 2017 Tacoma should have held its value very well, but that's to be determined when I decide to let it go.
As others have mentioned, you'll see better deals/incentives come fall when dealer inventories build up to desired levels. I am a big advocate of the 2.7 in a Ranger. With that said, if Ford did announce it as an option for 2020 and it came with a $1,500 price tag. I would buy a 19' with 2.3 ( in fall ) and save myself probably $3,000-$5,000 or more off MSRP and the $1,500 (guestimate) of the 2.7 option in the 2020 as it's not worth that much money to upgrade. All hypothetical of course.....:like:
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Ordered a month ago, doing the wait thing. Just told the wife today I’ll be ordering a Raptor in 2022. She didn’t say no so I took that as a yes.
If she's anything like mine, she's either finding a great attorney, a great hitman, or both. :)

OP
OP
treimche

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
For item 1 - it really isn't model year #1. The bulk of the vehicle (except for the powertrain and some sheet metal) is the same as it has been around the world for the last 8 years. The powertrain isn't even new really either - the 2.3 has been proven in the Mustang and Focus and the 10 speed has been proven in the F-150. So there really isn't much truly "new" in this truck.

That is my take on it.
Good points. I'm new to Ford stuff so I didn't realize all of that. You definitely helped put my mind at ease.
Sponsored