OP

GMatt

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Did the dealer put on wheel locks? Did you put on colored wheel nuts like some folks on this site did that do not have the OEM footprint? Hopefully you will answer these questons. If this is a defect bubbling up, the company needs to head it off asap!
Ie the Ranger/Explorer wheel seperation in the late 1990s to which you refer. (actually there were several wheel tire issues in that time frame that called for different corrective actions)!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil, there were no locking nuts installed, wheels/tires are bone stock
Sponsored

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Could be the dealer had the wheels and tires off for some reason (swap them, or damage in shipping) and didnt reinstall them properly.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Update, checked the lug nuts on the wheel while waiting for the tow truck and discovered they ALL were loose. So I tightened them up before he took it away. Arrived at the dealership and they are puzzled as we also discovered that the center stud is totally missing from the truck while the outer two were just sheared off under the lug nut. Just waiting for my loaner car and will update again once the service department eyeballs it

AB642128-1A9D-4C4A-ADE4-02D7B197C19D.jpeg
Did you put on the nonstandard valve stem cover? If not, it seems unlikely someone changed a dust cover without changing the tire. My other thought was maybe someone tried to steal a tire and got interrupted.

OP
OP

GMatt

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Did you put on the nonstandard valve stem cover? If not, it seems unlikely someone changed a dust cover without changing the tire. My other thought was maybe someone tried to steal a tire and got interrupted.
Nope the valve stem cover is from the dealership and shows they put nitrogen in the tires, as for swapping wheels I don’t think so but it’s certainly possible although these wheels are stock on a black lariat

OP
OP

GMatt

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Nope the valve stem cover is from the dealership and shows they put nitrogen in the tires, as for swapping wheels I don’t think so but it’s certainly possible although these wheels are stock on a black lariat
Now since you’re all speculating here is what I have done to the vehicle
-instilled tonneau cover
-installed bug shield
-installed mud flaps
-installed Bed liner
-installed running bars

So I haven’t touched the suspension, brakes, tires, wheels. Other than the aftermarket parts displayed above this truck is bone stock from the dealer

OP
OP

GMatt

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
2201AE7C-90A0-44BD-8127-11F37CF55B2A.jpeg
Now since you’re all speculating here is what I have done to the vehicle
-instilled tonneau cover
-installed bug shield
-installed mud flaps
-installed Bed liner
-installed running bars

So I haven’t touched the suspension, brakes, tires, wheels. Other than the aftermarket parts displayed above this truck is bone stock from the dealer
Oh one last thing I bought it at the end of June and it only has 1,609 miles on it as I haven’t been driving a lot this summer

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I think that the most likely culprit is someone was trying to steal your tires, and got interrupted like someone else mentioned. It's an oddball bolt pattern, but the average thief wouldn't know that, and if it sits a lot, they've had lots of time to eyeball your daily routines...

OP
OP

GMatt

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I think that the most likely culprit is someone was trying to steal your tires, and got interrupted like someone else mentioned. It's an oddball bolt pattern, but the average thief wouldn't know that, and if it sits a lot, they've had lots of time to eyeball your daily routines...
It’s in a locked garage all night

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
I had a tire store years ago that put Nitrogen in my new tires for the Corvette without my asking for it (extra $). I had to have them look for the OEM caps because I wanted to keep them. The reason I mention it is they also changed the stem caps to green ones. They said it was to identify there was Nitrogen rather than normal air.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a tire store years ago that put Nitrogen in my new tires for the Corvette without my asking for it (extra $). I had to have them look for the OEM caps because I wanted to keep them. The reason I mention it is they also changed the stem caps to green ones. They said it was to identify there was Nitrogen rather than normal air.

Random off topic thoughts...

The reason for nitrogen inflation is that the molecules are fatter, and can't escape between the tire rubber.

Regular air is made up of ~78% nitrogen

if the non-nitrogen portions of the air escape, it's roughly 2 refills before you achieve 90+% nitrogen fill in your tires.

So never agree to pay extra for nitrogen inflation.

Junior Blue

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightening Blue Ranger Lariat Crew
Hi folks,
I just picked up my Lariat last week. I checked the tire pressure myself at home, had to adjust some, also added my own washer fluid. I didn't want the dealer messing with it!!
Any way my question is: what is the correct size socket to use on the Ranger lug nuts? Would that be a six point or twelve point?
Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Pete

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi folks,
I just picked up my Lariat last week. I checked the tire pressure myself at home, had to adjust some, also added my own washer fluid. I didn't want the dealer messing with it!!
Any way my question is: what is the correct size socket to use on the Ranger lug nuts? Would that be a six point or twelve point?
Pete
I use 3/4 6 pt, but I suspect 19mm would fit as well.

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
Hi folks,
Pete
Ranger uses 19mm lugs, 12-point sockets are not approved for use as they can damage the cap of the lug. Make sure you also use a socket which is deep enough to fully grip the lug.

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
I wonder if it might have been easier to move the wheels to the Nitrogen tank rather than move other vehicles around or move the tank to the vehicle. So, they took the wheels off.

I think the dealer caused the problem since they were the only ones to touch your vehicle. My dealer's "mechanic" broke a mounting bolt when installing my running boards. I thing they had a low experience prep guy who used an impact wrench rather than a nut runner. It took them 2 extra hours to fix that one and I ended up with one larger bolt since they had to drill out the broken one. At least they didn't just leave it. I'm just sorry I didn't install them myself but they were supposed to install for free as part of the deal on the truck.

You can bet I was really pissed when they tried to charge me $100 for labor. Don't pay them anything for fixing this problem. You're lucky to be alive.

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ranger uses 19mm lugs, 12-point sockets are not approved for use as they can damage the cap of the lug. Make sure you also use a socket which is deep enough to fully grip the lug.
Hi Tim,

Excellent advice!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored