Sheared Lug Bolts

GMatt

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Took the family out for dinner last night in my 2019 Lariat, and noticed a vibration so I figured it was a tire out of balance, but I noticed a sensation like a flat tire when turning the last corner to the house and what do I find but 3 of my rear driver side lug bolts sheared off leaving only 3 holding the wheel on, a very dangerous situation. I did some quick research and see that the Explorers and early 2000 Rangers experienced the same problems. Anyone here have the same experience,I hope not but you may want to check yours. I have 1600 miles on my truck and was about to take it on a trip to Florida, which is now delayed.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Took the family out for dinner last night in my 2019 Lariat, and noticed a vibration so I figured it was a tire out of balance, but I noticed a sensation like a flat tire when turning the last corner to the house and what do I find but 3 of my rear driver side lug bolts sheared off leaving only 3 holding the wheel on, a very dangerous situation. I did some quick research and see that the Explorers and early 2000 Rangers experienced the same problems. Anyone here have the same experience,I hope not but you may want to check yours. I have 1600 miles on my truck and was about to take it on a trip to Florida, which is now delayed.
Hi Gregg,

The Ranger/Explorer problem was not remotely like your problem. I detailed that problem in another post. This shearing is mostly because the lugs were not tightened...it starts when one and then clocks around until the loads are so high on the remaining lugs that they let loose too. Did you change to aftermarket wheels by any chance or are they the stock wheels? If stock...get the dealer to change the three remaining lugs as they have been compromised and will likely fail sometime in the future...This is nothing to take lightly...Serious $hit!. Torque your other wheels to ensure they do not do the same thing. Do not delay in getting this repaired, please!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

GMatt

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Phil, thanks for the reply. No I did not change anything as these were the stock tires and wheels. The 3 studs are in a row so I’m probably going to call roadside assistance as I don’t want to drive the truck in this condition.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I had a similar situation after spending an entire sweaty day installing my Eibach struts...it was getting dark and after bolting the wheels back on and off the jack, I rolled out tentatively into the neighborhood street going very slowly...I heard clicking and thought I had botched the reinstall my half shafts that had repeatedly popped out during the install...about to hang myself, I slowly turned my truck around at the end of the block and each foot was agony as the sound got louder and louder...I parked, face in my palm in despair...then I realized that I hadn't torqued the lugs after I set the truck on the ground! :facepalm: I jacked the truck up to make sure there's no tension and lightly tightened to make sure they were lug centric, set the truck down then torqued them properly...that did the trick and I put my noose away in exchange for a bottle of Cab:whew:

Surprised that you didn't hear/feel anything prior having such catastrophic failure...

OP
OP

GMatt

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I had a similar situation after spending an entire sweaty day installing my Eibach struts...it was getting dark and after bolting the wheels back on and off the jack, I rolled out tentatively into the neighborhood street going very slowly...I heard clicking and thought I had botched the reinstall my half shafts that had repeatedly popped out during the install...about to hang myself, I slowly turned my truck around at the end of the block and each foot was agony as the sound got louder and louder...I parked, face in my palm in despair...then I realized that I hadn't torqued the lugs after I set the truck on the ground! :facepalm: I jacked the truck up to make sure there's no tension and lightly tightened to make sure they were lug centric, set the truck down then torqued them properly...that did the trick and I put my noose away in exchange for a bottle of Cab:whew:

Surprised that you didn't hear/feel anything prior having such catastrophic failure...
It started as a vibration but it felt like a tire that was out of balance. When I made that last turn, it seemed to wobble like I had a flat tire which isn’t unusual here with all the new roofs going up after our spring hailstorm damage

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Is that something that they should have checked during PDI? There a lot of dealers who don't do a proper inspection. Mine included that I'm constantly find things out.

OP
OP

GMatt

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Is that something that they should have checked during PDI? There a lot of dealers who don't do a proper inspection. Mine included that I'm constantly find things out.
You would definitely think so.....

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks

This is not a PDI event. The wheels are torqued at the plant. The nut runner that torques the wheels can shut down the line if it does not torque the wheels properly and there is an on line campaign to torque wheels, so something is really wrong here. If you have pieces of the wheel stud like the part in the lugnut do not try to put them back together as it damages the fracture surface and makes fracture analysis on a scanning electron microscope difficult if not impossible. Do Not Put Broken parts back together EVER!

Some thing is way wrong with this event and I have no way to understand what when wrong. My Lincoln MKX was off the trailer as I bought it and we test drove it from the end of the Haul Away ramps. Got a flat and they had to swap for another Lincoln on the lot as I would not take possession as this dealer installs crap aftermarket stuff that I refused to buy. So checking the torque on the right rear...the lugs were not at proper torque. If there is a defect that needs to be recalled, the analysis is greatly aided by following the above. But ...get the three remaining lugs replaced...they are junk.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks

This is not a PDI event. The wheels are torqued at the plant. The nut runner that torques the wheels can shut down the line if it does not torque the wheels properly and there is an on line campaign to torque wheels, so something is really wrong here. If you have pieces of the wheel stud like the part in the lugnut do not try to put them back together as it damages the fracture surface and makes fracture analysis on a scanning electron microscope difficult if not impossible. Do Not Put Broken parts back together EVER!

Some thing is way wrong with this event and I have no way to understand what when wrong. My Lincoln MKX was off the trailer as I bought it and we test drove it from the end of the Haul Away ramps. Got a flat and they had to swap for another Lincoln on the lot as I would not take possession as this dealer installs crap aftermarket stuff that I refused to buy. So checking the torque on the right rear...the lugs were not at proper torque. If there is a defect that needs to be recalled, the analysis is greatly aided by following the above. But ...get the three remaining lugs replaced...they are junk.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

This has me so upset I am heading to the bottle of 12 year old Glenn Levitt Scotch... This should not happen with a out of the box factory vehicle, ever!

Upset in GV,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil, thanks for the reply. No I did not change anything as these were the stock tires and wheels. The 3 studs are in a row so I’m probably going to call roadside assistance as I don’t want to drive the truck in this condition.
Did the dealer put on wheel locks? Did you put on colored wheel nuts like some folks on this site did that do not have the OEM footprint? Hopefully you will answer these questons. If this is a defect bubbling up, the company needs to head it off asap!
Ie the Ranger/Explorer wheel seperation in the late 1990s to which you refer. (actually there were several wheel tire issues in that time frame that called for different corrective actions)!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
Wow, this really sucks to hear. All I can suggest is that a decent quality torque wrench is a good investment. Re torquing wheels 100-250 miles after installing/reinstalling is an extremely good habit to pick up. Hope the dealer and ford will be taking very good care of you.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Torque value I’m pretty sure is 100ft lbs.

Correct me if I’m wrong but it looks like this should be mentioned.

That’s what I torqued mine at when I rotated them at 5k.

DBaz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Scary stuff.

Just went out to check and was relieved to see they all were at ~100 lb-ft.
Sponsored