Mine are sealed. Purchased in May Built 3/19
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jon Bokowy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 black ranger
I am the auto body tech at the Ford dealer so I'm submitting to ford how I'll be doing the repair :thumbsup: I've got a plan worked out already on how to correct it. I just want it to be on Ford's dime:sunglasses:
What's your idea for a fix ?

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase

beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew FX4
What does "refinishing the door jams" mean? Will the retrofit be as good or better than what should have been done at the factory?

Thinking this through.. why is seam sealer needed? To prevent moisture from wicking into the open seam. If it isn't applied at the factory, applying it after the fact won't yield the same result..... since the truck has been exposed to moisture.

I'd be asking for a lifetime rust warranty on the doors.... or a truck buy back...

Ford having issues with seam sealer is no excuse for you to have a truck that is more suspect to have rust issues.
Good luck with that truck buy back :LOL:

OP
OP
Beef_Stew

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Good luck with that truck buy back :LOL:
Exactly. And plus that hurts the dealership that goes through it. Not about to do that to my place of employment

OP
OP
Beef_Stew

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
What's your idea for a fix ?
Sand seam edge, clean, apply etch primer, apply corrosion resistant primer, duplicate seam sealer, mask off seam sealer only and refinish using sealer, basecoat, clearcoat. After that 3M cavity wax on insides of doors.

Jon Bokowy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 black ranger
Sand seam edge, clean, apply etch primer, apply corrosion resistant primer, duplicate seam sealer, mask off seam sealer only and refinish using sealer, basecoat, clearcoat. After that 3M cavity wax on insides of doors.
Was at dealer yesterday they'll let me know , anyway Sherwin Williams has black seam sealer my truck is black if they come up with some solution I don't like I might just clean and apply,it says can use on painted surfaces?

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It's a damn shame some members here have to deal with crap. Horrible.
Minor issue, maybe. Still, an issue that shouldn't be.

OP
OP
Beef_Stew

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
It's a damn shame some members here have to deal with crap. Horrible.
Minor issue, maybe. Still, an issue that shouldn't be.
Exactly. For me it's not a big deal to fix, but pretty annoying.

OP
OP
Beef_Stew

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Was at dealer yesterday they'll let me know , anyway Sherwin Williams has black seam sealer my truck is black if they come up with some solution I don't like I might just clean and apply,it says can use on painted surfaces?
3M also has black seam sealer, that's what I'll be using. You can use most seam sealer on painted surfaces as long as it's sanded/scuffed up

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think too many of us were fooled into thinking that Ford had the same quality as Toyota. Fit and finish is not one of its bright spots. However, the rest of the truck is so good and so much better than Toyotas I can live with some uneven seams.

Last edited:

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I don't think too many of us were fooled into thinking that Ford had the same quality as Toyota. Fit and finish is not one of its bright spots. However, the rest of the truck is so good and so much better than Toyotas I can live with some uneven seams.
Never fooled, simply convinced by the evidence.
Mine's flawless, and better than Toyota's best effort in every detail.
6 months now and so far the only maintenance was to drop the tire pressure the day I brought it home!
This is my typical Ford experience.

Last edited:

MarcusRanger

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 1964.5 Ford Mustang Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Never fooled, simply convinced by the evidence.
Mine's flawless, and better than Toyota's best effort....ever.
6 months now and so far the only maintenance was to drop the tire pressure the day I brought it home!
By comparison mine wasn't. Passenger rear door would not open one cold morning due to ice buildup because the door wasn't sealing properly. Upon closer inspection I noted the rear door was noticeably higher than the front door. The trim around the window was not seated properly either. The dash has an annoying rattle when you hit a bump and is not evenly coloured (has a light spot in the finish from the factory, some have had this issue with their door trim). Hood gap was not even and I am missing the seam sealer on all doors.

My Ranger is an earlier build (Dec 2018) so I understand that these things would occur on a brand new model. I had a 2006 Tacoma (was fully redesigned in 2005) and I did not experience anything like this with that truck. Am I saying that the Tacoma is a better truck? Not necessarily but part of fit and finish is consistency and having owned the Tacoma and being a part of its community I can say I never heard of anyone (in my experience) with issues like these.

Do I like my Ranger, I absolutely do, but I think Ford could learn a thing or two in the QA department for sure, in my opinion.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, no vehicle is perfect.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
By comparison mine wasn't. Passenger rear door would not open one cold morning due to ice buildup because the door wasn't sealing properly. Upon closer inspection I noted the rear door was noticeably higher than the front door. The trim around the window was not seated properly either. The dash has an annoying rattle when you hit a bump and is not evenly coloured (has a light spot in the finish from the factory, some have had this issue with their door trim). Hood gap was not even and I am missing the seam sealer on all doors.

My Ranger is an earlier build (Dec 2018) so I understand that these things would occur on a brand new model. I had a 2006 Tacoma (was fully redesigned in 2005) and I did not experience anything like this with that truck. Am I saying that the Tacoma is a better truck? Not necessarily but part of fit and finish is consistency and having owned the Tacoma and being a part of its community I can say I never heard of anyone (in my experience) with issues like these.

Do I like my Ranger, I absolutely do, but I think Ford could learn a thing or two in the QA department for sure, in my opinion.
Toyota meets industry standard for fit and finish, from my experience they are a sort of Japanese General Motors, no better ,no worse.
Sponsored