Select 2019 Model Year Ranger Vehicles

Rear Lamps Issue

Affected Vehicles:

Vehicle: Ranger
Model Year: 2019
Assembly Plant: Michigan
Build Dates: June 4, 2018 through August 16, 2019

Reasons for this Safety Recall:

In some of the affected vehicles, terminals in connector C422 may be misaligned and may have been damaged during assembly. If a misalignment occurs and terminals are pushed out, there may be a loss of functionality of both the left and right rear tail lamps. While the center high-mounted stop lamp (CHMSL) will continue to function ensuring some level of stop lamp indication, all rear tail lamp features will not function. This includes the stop, turn, rear position, and reverse lamp features. This condition may be intermittent.

The C422 connector is a 34-pin inline connector and is located on the 14290 to 14405 harness mounted to the left frame rail around mid-vehicle.

Service Action:

Before demonstrating or delivering any new in-stock vehicles involved in this recall, dealers are to inspect connector C422, checking for any terminal push out, and if necessary replace the hard-shell connector. Simultaneously, a continuity check will be performed on the ground circuit, from the tail light to connector C422. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.

Owner Notification Mailing Schedule:

Owner letters are expected to be mailed the week of January 6, 2020. Dealers should repair any affected vehicles that arrive at their dealerships, whether or not the customer has received a letter.

--------------------

Download Ford Service Manual for Inspecting and/or Replacing Rear Stoplight Pigtail (EXTREMELY LARGE PDF WARNING)

--------------------

Do You Get A Rental Vehicle If You Are Affected By This Recall?

ā€¢ PASS INSPECTION: Vehicles that pass inspection are NOT affected and are not approved for rental vehicles. Refer to the 19S43 technical instructions for additional information.

ā€¢ FAIL INSPECTION: For vehicles that fail inspection and the applicable wiring pigtail kit is not available, submit a VIN-specific contact, along with a photo of the hard-shell connector showing terminal push out, via the SSSC Web Contact Site.
  • A ten-digit approval code is required from the SSSC for rental vehicles.
  • If rental vehicles are needed beyond 1/3/2020, dealers will have to contact SSSC for an extension.
  • Part orders will be taken, but will be held by SSSC until sufficient quantities are available, which is expected by early January. Approval for all rental vehicles for this program will end at that time.
  • Follow Extended Service Plan (ESP) guidelines for dollar amounts. Prior approval is required from the SSSC.
Courtesy of @Willcuts93
Sponsored

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
RECALL
REAR TAIL LAMPS
NHTSA Recall Number: AWAITING# NHTSA Date:NOV 21, 2019 Ford Recall number: 19S43

Recall Description:REAR TAIL LAMPS

Risk to Safety:INTERMITTENT OR INOPERATIVE TAIL LAMPS CAN RESULT IN LOSS OF STOP, TURN, REAR POSITION, AND REVERSE LAMP FUNCTIONS, WHICH REDUCES THE VEHICLES VISIBILITY AND MAY NOT FULLY ALERT OTHER DRIVERS THAT THE VEHICLE IS BRAKING, TURNING, OR REVERSING, INCREASING THE RISK OF CRASH. THE CENTER HIGH-MOUNTED STOP LAMP (CHMSL) WILL CONTINUE TO FUNCTION.

Remedy Program: OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO HAVE THE UNDERBODY INLINE CONNECTOR INSPECTED. IF A LOOSE TERMINAL IS IDENTIFIED, THE TERMINALS WILL BE RE-PINNED INTO A REPLACEMENT CONNECTOR. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THIS SERVICE. FORD IS EXCLUDING REIMBURSEMENT FOR COSTS BECAUSE THE ORIGINAL WARRANTY PROGRAM WOULD PROVIDE FOR A FREE REPAIR FOR THIS CONCERN. FORD WILL FORWARD A COPY OF THE NOTIFICATION LETTERS TO DEALERS TO THE AGENCY WHEN AVAILABLE.

Manufacturer Notes:TO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE HTTP://WWW.FORD.COM/ OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4; 2016 Corvette Stingray

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's no fix yet on the recall.
Everything working ok now?
Yeah, i put on a bunch of miles in the last 2 mos and so far so good. From my ticket, i thought there was an updated/replacement harness available.

Schafies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer. 2019 Ford Ranger.
I have not had this issue but might print that recall out and put in my truck in case I have the issue and don't know a tail lights out and get stopped by the police! Might help, might not? To the few here on this forum that have had tail light issues does the truck alert that a tail light is out, or both are out? Or is the alert the flashing lights on the car behind you. Lol

dguffin

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Corsair, 19 Ranger, 12 Boss, 08 Zuma
Occupation
Shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
Recall letters from Ford will start going out in January for this recall.

OP
OP
Beef_Stew

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Just browsed over the recall. Pretty much all it is, is just checking a wire harness plug under the vehicle to confirm the pins are secure and not damaged or loose. If they are, it is a terminal pigtail replacement.

Sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have not had this issue but might print that recall out and put in my truck in case I have the issue and don't know a tail lights out and get stopped by the police! Might help, might not? To the few here on this forum that have had tail light issues does the truck alert that a tail light is out, or both are out? Or is the alert the flashing lights on the car behind you. Lol
You get the fast blinker sound inside the cab like you have a bulb out...that's how i found out.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Iā€™m in this one.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
NEW VEHICLE DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD
Safety Recall 19S43

Select 2019 Model Year Ranger Vehicles

Rear Lamps Issue​

Affected Vehicles:

Vehicle: Ranger
Model Year: 2019
Assembly Plant: Michigan
Build Dates: June 4, 2018 through August 16, 2019

Reasons for this Safety Recall:

In some of the affected vehicles, terminals in connector C422 may be misaligned and may have been damaged during assembly. If a misalignment occurs and terminals are pushed out, there may be a loss of functionality of both the left and right rear tail lamps. While the center high-mounted stop lamp (CHMSL) will continue to function ensuring some level of stop lamp indication, all rear tail lamp features will not function. This includes the stop, turn, rear position, and reverse lamp features. This condition may be intermittent.

The C422 connector is a 34-pin inline connector and is located on the 14290 to 14405 harness mounted to the left frame rail around mid-vehicle.

Service Action:

Before demonstrating or delivering any new in-stock vehicles involved in this recall, dealers are to inspect connector C422, checking for any terminal push out, and if necessary replace the hard-shell connector. Simultaneously, a continuity check will be performed on the ground circuit, from the tail light to connector C422. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.

Owner Notification Mailing Schedule:

Owner letters are expected to be mailed the week of January 6, 2020. Dealers should repair any affected vehicles that arrive at their dealerships, whether or not the customer has received a letter.

Hi Folks,

I would really like to understand the Ranger electrical connectors. I have never seen a North American Ford vehicle with such connectors. I wonder if these connectors are from Thailand. My opinion is that they are not robust for assembly and have been the bane of a multitude of electrical problems. Since I have not looked at any other North American Ford products to see if they have the same style of connectors, I can't determine if Ford globally changed the electrical architecture of the electrical system or are we dealing with unique Aussie designed electrics? Any Ford Dealer mechanics on board that can shed some light on this Ranger electrical system compared to the North American products.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired