Early models with rust.

TheDads5

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger 10 Focus
Hello all. Just wondering if anyone with an early model (19-20) has any rust issues? My 22 is on a build list for next month.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Mine is covered in it. It was white now look at it. :shock:?

Seriously though I don't recall anyone here in the "rust belt" saying they had any problems with rust. Maybe some surface rust underneath but nothing like the Tacomas where the frames were rusted out.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
The iron brake rotors rusts horribly...Ford's too cheap to give us aluminum rotors?... :rolleyes: ?

Last edited:

McDeuce

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
I was concerned with RUST as well, living in Wisconsin. . So I had the complete NH OIL treatment of oil and wax. It is a pretty amazing application .. the Tremor drip for a month. We will have to see how it works.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The iron brake rotors rusts horribly...Ford's to cheap to give us aluminum rotors?... :rolleyes: ?
Hi Sid,

I will give you a couple examples of Aluminum brake fiascos. The first was Porsche in the late 50s when they put aluminum drums of the Porsche 356...Every brake application caused excessive wear as the brake shoe material contacted the highly abrasive aluminum oxide surface which was generated after every brake application....

I was director of Operations for Forumla SAE for many years...Collegiate competition for college Engineering students to build little race cars to complete against other colleges. College showed up with aluminum rotors on their racer... During the endurance, the corner workers reported something dropped off a particular car and after retrieving the items said they appeared to be brake pads???? So I had the car black flagged off the race course... There were no rear rotors...they had disintegrated to dust during the 20 mile endurance run...

Best,
Phil

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
There are a few threads on rust on the for half shafts having rust on the flanges. Mine has it. They are thick solid steel so it's not an issue but it is disappointing to see it on a new truck.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Sid,

I will give you a couple examples of Aluminum brake fiascos. The first was Porsche in the late 50s when they put aluminum drums of the Porsche 356...Every brake application caused excessive wear as the brake shoe material contacted the highly abrasive aluminum oxide surface which was generated after every brake application....

I was director of Operations for Forumla SAE for many years...Collegiate competition for college Engineering students to build little race cars to complete against other colleges. College showed up with aluminum rotors on their racer... During the endurance, the corner workers reported something dropped off a particular car and after retrieving the items said they appeared to be brake pads???? So I had the car black flagged off the race course... There were no rear rotors...they had disintegrated to dust during the 20 mile endurance run...

Best,
Phil
That's funny Phil...pretty sure those SAE engineering students didn't get many job offers lol...

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That's funny Phil...pretty sure those SAE engineering students didn't get many job offers lol...
Hi Sid,

Actually they did....they did learn something... FSAE students in my mind were what we needed...they built a vehicle on time...and it had to perform or they were loosers....

Best,
Phil

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
The half shafts as noted already and some other similar minor surface rust underneath after 2 winters. Disapointing but nothing I'm concerned about. This being the 3rd winter, I won't know until spring when it's warm enough to get underneath.
Different vehicles but my 14 Edge has no body rust and the 10 Fusion just had some pop up last spring. Bodywise I think it should be good for at least 10 years with touching up chips and regular wash and wax.
My 05 Chrysler T&C was only 5 yrs old before rust was visible. I was constantly chasing rust on that thing. Had some good size holes in it by the time I sold it in 18.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
no rust on the 21 ranger. come to think of it even my 05 is rust free. guy around the corner from me has a 2018 toycoma. i keep waiting to see it fold up like a taco.... from frame rusting out.

Last edited:

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Hi Sid,

Best,
Phil
I think my brother did that competition back when he was in college, circa 2004. If not that particular competition, he did something very similar. He had an absolute blast doing it, and as college students they made plenty of mistakes along the way that were invaluable hands-on learning opportunities.

It also introduced to him to the art of sucking up to the rich donors the university would trot the team out in front of. He always seemed amazed at the size of the checks these folks would cut on the spot to support the team, but I suspect the university was using the competition to milk these donors for a whole lot more than just whatever went to directly support my brother's team.

EDIT to add:
I guess it must have been 2005. I remember this tragic incident happening and them doing some stuff to honor the deceased students.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I think my brother did that competition back when he was in college, circa 2004. If not that particular competition, he did something very similar. He had an absolute blast doing it, and as college students they made plenty of mistakes along the way that were invaluable hands-on learning opportunities.

It also introduced to him to the art of sucking up to the rich donors the university would trot the team out in front of. He always seemed amazed at the size of the checks these folks would cut on the spot to support the team, but I suspect the university was using the competition to milk these donors for a whole lot more than just whatever went to directly support my brother's team.

EDIT to add:
I guess it must have been 2005. I remember this tragic incident happening and them doing some stuff to honor the deceased students.
Hi Joe,

Yes this was a very sad start to the Formula SAE that year, my last year as Director of Operations...When ever the cars moved on their own power, it was under my watch. It was also the year the SAE tried Formula SAE West at the Fontana 2 mile super speedway... Margie and I were paid to attend this event too...Margie ran the scoring and I ran all the dynamic events. Then at the end of the event, I was given a special SAE award as at time I had been the only director of operations since the event's inception. Always a fun event but 2005 was shadowed by the Minnesota team deaths...

Best,
Phil

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Some reasons aluminum is not ideal for brake rotors, worse material than even Ford's early attempts to use composite rotors. Cast iron, although heavy in general is very durable.

1: aluminum will harden considerably as it is compressed and stressed, undergoes strong vibrations etc. As it hardens (this is called work Hardening or metal fatigue) it will become increasingly brittle and develop microcracks, that propagate to large cracks, until the piece shatters. Steel has a much longer fatigue life.

2: Aluminum is extremely malleable especially when it is “fresh” (not working hardened) and as brake calipers are essentially hydraulic presses they will extrude the aluminum and cause severe deformation of the rotors.

3: Brakes turn kinetic energy into massive amounts of heat. Aluminum begins softening drastically once above 350 degrees F. At heats seen at brake pad / rotor interfaces it would melt.

4: Aluminum is a “gummy” metal meaning that it will gall very readily (transfer metal to other parts it is being rubbed against under high pressure) this will quickly foul the brake pads, causing them to lose “grabbing” power and may even weld the pad to the disc under the extreme heat loads rotor assemblies generate. Stainless steel also falls very readily, hence why it is not used for rotors. The galling action would also cause severe deformity and degradation to the rotor surface exacerbating all of the above points.

5: Aluminum when placed against dissimilar metals, especially steel will actually accelerate corrosion due to its different oxidation potential. When wet this forms a galvanic cell (I.e. battery) that will accelerate corrosion of critical components adjacent to the rotor. If severe enough the aluminum will be both weakened and as expanding corrosion components form between mated surfaces, pushed out of the way and deformed.
Sponsored