First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
The tremor uses a CV joint at the diff pinion instead of a u-joint. The locker is same as other rangers.
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Mine's a FX4 and the U-joint doesn't look like the Tremor...
For some reason Ford decided to use a CV joint instead of a normal universal joint on the Tremor. Sounds like it didn't fix the studder though.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I'm wondering... Ford lifted the Tremor, and changed from a u-joint to a cv joint... so for those that lifted their trucks.... is a cv joint needed?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm wondering... Ford lifted the Tremor, and changed from a u-joint to a cv joint... so for those that lifted their trucks.... is a cv joint needed?
As a mechanical engineer...whats you opinion on this?

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
As a mechanical engineer...whats you opinion on this?
Depends on if the lift kit had shims to correct the pinion angle. If yes, probably ok without the CV joint.

But there's limits to that, as it can be a long term issue due to internal lubrication level in the rear differential.

Last edited:

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Okay, so hoping this is a stupid question and nothing to be concerned about, but noticed a bit of rust on the drive shaft flange while I was installing my running boards. Looks to be just surface rust due to untreated steel and doesn't seem to affect the yoke (although there is some at the bolts), but still just surprised to see this much with less than 1k miles. Is this pretty typical or is this something that can create issues long term that needs to be addressed?

tempImageLuNIrX.png
My opinion is its surface rust on an insignificant area. all manufacturers are cheapening up end-to-end costs. what ticks me off is on my wife's last ford, a 2016 escape all the door seams started rusting inside-out at about 2.5 years/60,000 miles and neither the dealer or ford cust service gave a fly'n F**k about it. If that hapens on this truck or her '20 escape we just got her last year I may be done with these guys.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
My plan for stuff like this is to occasionally get out the wire brush and spray on some rust converter. Easy to do when under there for other tasks as the years add up. Whether or not the rust actually an issue, I figure less rust is better, and it'll look nicer in black :)

Not sure why more people don't use rust converter? I see lots of talk about sanding and painting.. but why not stop it from coming back with rust converter instead?

JeffWoodall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX 4X4
Occupation
Security, Retired military (20 yrs), retired law enforcement (15 yrs)
Vehicle Showcase
My plan for stuff like this is to occasionally get out the wire brush and spray on some rust converter. Easy to do when under there for other tasks as the years add up. Whether or not the rust actually an issue, I figure less rust is better, and it'll look nicer in black :)

Not sure why more people don't use rust converter? I see lots of talk about sanding and painting.. but why not stop it from coming back with rust converter instead?
Exact same for me. While it probably isn't important whatsoever, sometimes peace of mind is worth it alone. Once I know it's there, it matters to me.
When I purchased my 2016 F150 in October 2016, it had rust everywhere underneath. I spent an entire day with a wire wheel brush on my driver and used flat black paint and primer where applicable. Probably a total waste of time, but it made me feel better, worth every minute.
Sponsored