First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS; Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADA
Not sure about that: FX shocks and at least on my wife's, different rear springs accompany the other more obvious FX4 features.
Yeah, the FX4 includes different softer shocks. Springs are the same. Seems like FX4 shocks are a matter of preference, unlike the Tremor shocks which are universally adored.
Sponsored

Muffin1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver STX 4X4 SC
You can't expect to be able to tow 7500 pounds and have the truck drive like a car when unloaded although my F-150 Supercrew did a pretty good job of it. It sorta like the boat world. You want to run on 3 foot swells the 21' boat will do much better than a 17'.
I agree my '18 F150 4wd w/ tow package rode terrific, I actually couldn't believe how smooth the backend was no jumpiness and that's being empty most of the time except for towing my 19' boat and it did that with ease.

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger stx sabertooth , 04 stang ragtop 40th anvrs. , 66 stang fastback 2 plus 2
Occupation
A happy retired guy
Stock shocks were too weak in the rear of my 2wd STX s cab . When I did 90 degree turns with pedal to the metal I got dizzy or even slightly car sick in the turn .Wow I said WTF ! So put Billsteins on the rear they stopped the boat ride feeling and rear shake . Big improvement over factory shock .

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Yeah, the FX4 includes different softer shocks. Springs are the same. Seems like FX4 shocks are a matter of preference, unlike the Tremor shocks which are universally adored.
My wife's FX4 rear springs have a different part number on them than my RWD, or the pair of 4WD rears I bought to re-arch for the RWD.

Her FX4 is a very early 2019, wonder if Ford standardized the rears later in the production run?

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
What gives? Are Americans just overly sensitive to ride quality?
Don't know. Before buying my Ranger, I test drove the Taco and the GM twins on both city streets and the highway. Highway handling was critical to me as my Ranger would primarily be used for winter highway driving and towing in the summer. I found the Ranger to be far superior in handling and comfort. And it was light years beyond my previous "truck", a '98 Mercury Mountaineer (Explorer/Ranger).

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 xlt ranger 62 galaxie
Occupation
Truck driver
I like how my 2019 4wd sport rides. I bought some Eibach front struts last march, and still haven't put them on. Wanted to raise the nose a little bit, but i like how it rides and drives. Afraid if i do it won't drive as well as stock, but the funny car stance doesn't look good on a 4wd truck!

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
I like how my 2019 4wd sport rides. I bought some Eibach front struts last march, and still haven't put them on. Wanted to raise the nose a little bit, but i like how it rides and drives. Afraid if i do it won't drive as well as stock, but the funny car stance doesn't look good on a 4wd truck!
I agree on both points. My wife's FX4 is (was) much less harsh in the front than my RWD and the 4" - 5" rake looks silly on anything but a funny car!!

The boingy bounce of the FX4 suspension over minor road imperfections is where I think Ford failed. The smooth road manners are impeccable.

Orpheus_16

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4WD - Crew Cab
So, I've been reading all the threads on changing out the stock shocks for Bilsteins or Eibachs. Despite having come from 8 years in a 2011 F-150 (plus 8 years & 200k miles in a Silverado 2500HD for work), I've found my suspension pretty stiff (I've got a 4x4 "Sport", NOT an FX4).

2 questions for the folks who seem to know this stuff:
1. Will my stock shocks soften over time? (I've only got 800 miles on my Ranger)
2. Let's suppose I max out my towing once a year (7500 lbs), will that be an issue after changing the shocks?

OP
OP

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS; Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADA
So, I've been reading all the threads on changing out the stock shocks for Bilsteins or Eibachs. Despite having come from 8 years in a 2011 F-150 (plus 8 years & 200k miles in a Silverado 2500HD for work), I've found my suspension pretty stiff (I've got a 4x4 "Sport", NOT an FX4).

2 questions for the folks who seem to know this stuff:
1. Will my stock shocks soften over time? (I've only got 800 miles on my Ranger)
2. Let's suppose I max out my towing once a year (7500 lbs), will that be an issue after changing the shocks?
Shocks are a curious bit of equipment. They can either soften or get stiffer with age. I have read about either occurring, however it seems more likely that the shock would become more compliant as some of the gas charge leaks out. Also you're probably going to feel more compliance in the bushings as they age.

The FX4 is rated for the same 7500 lb, so I don't think it would make a difference there.

I wonder how much of the complaining is due to Ford intentionally tuning the truck to have a stiffer ride. It is common across the whole car industry to tune for the stiffer ride as it does have handling benefits.

Lastly, I will also point out that the 4x4 crew cab Tacoma has about an 1100 lb payload, similar to a small SUV or car. That is almost 500 lb less than a Ranger and it 100% contributes to the difference in ride.

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
I didn't see this mentioned, but many of our trucks left the dealer lot with overinflated tires which destroys the ride. Easy fix. +1 on swapping the rear shocks for better units.

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
It's a truck.

If I wanted a smooth car like ride, I would have bought a car. The majority of my vehicles have always been either a Ford truck or some type of Jeep.

And yes any civilian pickup truck does ride like a Cadillac after driving military vehicles all the time.

Ninda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79 Bronco TS, 2008 Ranger XLT, 2020 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Traveling Tourist
I have the 2020 xlt FX4 and love how it rides and handels. yes I have all the bounce and body roll. I contributed that to the Stock tires, Just recently replaced the tires to the BFG KO2 E rated. Figured that I just might of made a mistake on that purchase, But am really pleased how the truck handles and rides now. Now I'm not going to lift it, just a level kit and the the bumper and winch.

APmech

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
A&P
I didn't see this mentioned, but many of our trucks left the dealer lot with overinflated tires which destroys the ride. Easy fix. +1 on swapping the rear shocks for better units.
Roger that. Mine had 45+ psi in the tires when I got it home. Made a big difference dropping down to about 33 psi.

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
Either every single dealer needs to get new and calibrated pressure gauges or something. Yes almost all tires are over inflated by the dealerships.

My 2020 XLT FX4 was the same. I deflated them down to the recommended 38 psi and that made all the difference.
Sponsored