Reporting Fuel In The Oil issues And Other Issues To The NHTSA

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I do not believe it is a simple fuel in oil issue for everyone involved, it is an excessive fuel in oil issue for some. That said, I have not seen anyone reporting this issue having it worse than my truck. Multiple oil samples, taken by the dealer and even by Ford directly, and every one of them was double digit fuel % contamination. Samples were all from 500 to 2100 miles on the oil sampled. There was a sample with 5,000 miles on the oil, as requested directly from ford, and they sent some tech from, who knows where, to my dealer to collect that sample. That is the only sample that Ford has refused to share with me. Anyway, after replacing the HPFP, injectors twice, all high pressure fuel lines and the factory oil separator system, there was no change in the issue. My truck still runs fine, although I have had some "stalling" issues that they claim are unrelated, but cannot pinpoint what has caused it either. Ford has told my dealership they do not believe the high oil level is harming the engine and will not authorize any more work related to the fuel in oil issue. I asked them if I needed to still check the oil level and they said that I still needed to do that. I then asked what level should I be concerned, and bring it in to the dealership? They told me they would look into it and get back with me the following week, which they never did. I contacted Ford Customer service and they advised that I should file a complaint with the BBB. Ford sure ain't what it used to be?

I check the level weekly now, instead of daily, it seems to level out when it gets to about a 1/2in above the twist, which when the oil is drained, comes out to about 7.8qts, so about 1.6qts of fuel? I am at 32,000 miles and change. I guess I will find out how long this engine will last.

Overall, my truck has been to the dealer 17 times for this issue, without resolve. I hope the OP has better luck than me.
Sponsored

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Thanks so much and I'll go re-edit where I was perturbed. You make a lot of sense there and I appreciate it.
You do realize what you just said here don't you? ?

j/K ...RP:like:

OP
OP
Delirious

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Delirious

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You said that RP made a lot of sense. lol
I think sometimes my younger years of being a pothead catch up to me. So glad I gave that up.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I think sometimes my younger years of being a pothead catch up to me. So glad I gave that up.
Same here but every now and then I get a relapse. :crazy:

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
I see you have posted this issue before. People have talked about the catch can. A leak down test on the cylinders might make sense. I see its a 2021 model. Maybe the piston rings did not seat properly.

grammat95

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor - Lariat (Black)
Occupation
Maritime Professional
The best way to solve this fuel dilution issue is a proper break-in. As soon as you roll off the dealer lot you gotta hook up the heaviest trailer you can find and flog the motor until it's begging for mercy. That's how I done it and my rings seated tighter than a sausage link stuck in a whisker biscuit.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Ok, my spin on this one. Yes it is problematic for some but that number seems to be pretty low. With all the members of this forum and since Ford first reintroduced the Ranger in 2019 I have yet to hear of an engine imploding from this dilution. Lots of high mileage trucks on here.

Personally I knew this could be a potential problem when I bought mine a month short of a year ago. Still waiting for my Blackstone report from last oil change. My last was <2% so keep an eye on it and if in doubt change the oil.

I have noticed that when it gets cold and short trips it rises up to the top hole. Then after a good highway drive it drops back down. So I think some of that is condensation and evaporation.

Vitis805

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Wine Nerd
I had the fuel in oil issue that I was monitoring with oil reports. My latest report @ 15k showed next to zero fuel. When I first reported the issue to my service advisor he "advised" me that if I was really concerned I should drive the truck harder and go a little longer between oil changes since the TBN and wear metals looked great. At first I felt a little like you and that my common sense was somehow slighted, but the man has his job for a reason. Truck just passed 20k and is running so great that the bit of OCD I have is basically looking for minor issues. I suspect it is the same with a lot of members on here as well. 50+ years old (non-laborers) and babying the truck as one would be inclined. This mindset will lead one to think any issue is detrimental. The fuel in the oil literally needs to burn off with a decent load. That's it. If it isn't burned off, it's just going to be present in the oil without doing any damage by the time the change interval is up. @P. A. Schilke recently gave me some great advice to chill out about the truck, and I think he's right.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
The best way to solve this fuel dilution issue is a proper break-in. As soon as you roll off the dealer lot you gotta hook up the heaviest trailer you can find and flog the motor until it's begging for mercy. That's how I done it and my rings seated tighter than a sausage link stuck in a whisker biscuit.
That's my feeling on this issue. The motors are not being broken in correctly.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
NHTSA charter is all about collecting data and at times taking action on auto issues that constitute safety issues. Unless excess fuel in the oil is causing a safety issue - such as engine fires - it's beyond the realm of the NHTSA to take action, just something that may cause excessive engine wear is not usually considered a safety issue.
Honda CRV had a big issue with fuel in the oil, especially in colder climates but I don't believe the NHTSA was ever involved.
We turned/traded our 2021 CRV back in to Honda because of this issue. WAY worse than anything I’m seeing here. It’s inherent to the design. Our driving habits were the main contributor to the issue. Very short trips and low mileage. Engine would never get the chance to build enough heat to evaporate the fumes. Not our fault but worse case scenario for this design. Dealership didn’t bat an eye and gave us what we paid for it (4000 miles on it). We moved up to a Passport. Same driving habits but no issue with fuel dilution.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Drive it. Change the oil at reasonable intervals with a good quality oil. Drive it some more.

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
dont worry, i wear one of those hockey helmets around so i dont hurt myself....it also keeps my head from swelling bigger

1636508841640.png
I’ve got to ask. Who are you, and what have you done to Ranger Pride???