First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I've read a ton on the issue because I thought it was going to be a problem for me. After a decent break in period I haven't had a problem. Did a fuel analysis an I was under 2% for 4500 miles.

I don't know how many of the worse case trucks are out there like WojoMoto has. I don't think it's wide spread but you really can't tell since I'd bet most new car owners never open their hood an take the vehicles in for service when at 10K like the manual says or when the oil life monitor tells them to. In theory thousands could have the issue an not know it. Some people think the blackstone labs standard of under 2.5% fuel dilution is low for Direct injected/Di turbo motors. I think if I had under 5% dilution after 5K of driving I could live with that. I wouldn't be happy but I could deal with it. Trucks that can't achieve that should have their engines replaced on ford's dime.

If there's a lot of really bad trucks out there I see a class action suit coming. I hate those, the lawyers get rich the victims get squat but it might be the only way to get either replacement engines or getting the trucks bought back. Ford's handling of this problem has me thinking I don't want to buy another Ford product an I've had like 15 new Fords in my life.
Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
;) I know ,I know... they're from the government and they're here to help you! :giggle:

Count me out, I don't share the problem, its not a safety issue, and its the wrong agency...

Try to give the dealer a chance to quantify and solve the problem.
If that doesn't work, try Ford Corporate or another dealer,
then the Better Business Bureau or the state's attorney's office.

OP
OP
Delirious

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I had the fuel in oil issue that I was monitoring with oil reports. My latest report @ 15k showed next to zero fuel. When I first reported the issue to my service advisor he "advised" me that if I was really concerned I should drive the truck harder and go a little longer between oil changes since the TBN and wear metals looked great. At first I felt a little like you and that my common sense was somehow slighted, but the man has his job for a reason. Truck just passed 20k and is running so great that the bit of OCD I have is basically looking for minor issues. I suspect it is the same with a lot of members on here as well. 50+ years old (non-laborers) and babying the truck as one would be inclined. This mindset will lead one to think any issue is detrimental. The fuel in the oil literally needs to burn off with a decent load. That's it. If it isn't burned off, it's just going to be present in the oil without doing any damage by the time the change interval is up. @P. A. Schilke recently gave me some great advice to chill out about the truck, and I think he's right.
I never baby it. I drive it hard. At least 12 hours of driving at 79 miles an hour is why I had so much fuel in that oil, I suppose. Some members think I'm exaggerating when I said it was 2 inches high on the dipstick but I don't exaggerate and I don't lie. But that's another story. Either way, I'm going to let this play out. Thank you for your input.

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Nick, I would just let it ride for now and keep driving it the way you are. It's going to take time for the rings to seat and if after several thousand miles you're still having this issue then Id take it back in. Just keep documenting everything and I would take pictures of the dipstick for dates and reference.

I never checked mine when it was new but I don't recall this being a big issue back then. Maybe it was and I just didn't see the threads. Like others have said this motor and thousands of other DI ones are out there and there's no big problems with them blowing up or recalls. If there were you'd definitely hear about it as most like to come on forums or social media and tell everyone about their issues. :)

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
wow, I'm curious where to drive 95 MPH and avoid traffic tickets?
Going up north on I-17 to Flagstaff the speed limit is 75 so 85-90 mph is not all that uncommon. Even down here in the valley most will drive 15- 20+ mph over the speed limit.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
They still have the problem
Well if they do it ain't hurtin CR-V sales much if at all - 315K in the US market thru Oct. Maybe they are like Tacos - people keep buying irrespective of factors like dated drive train or fuel dilution.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
Well if they do it ain't hurtin CR-V sales much if at all - 315K in the US market thru Oct. Maybe they are like Tacos - people keep buying irrespective of factors like dated drive train or fuel dilution.
A lot of them are leases so people don’t really give a rip. Woe to the second buyer though. And those that drive highway and longer distances ( heat) don’t have the issue. The dealer we worked with had 4 2021’s on their used lot with under 4K on them.

OP
OP
Delirious

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Delirious

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
if you're always driving the snot out of it, you're in boost all the time. did you drive it this day from the moment you picked it up off the lot?

consider the amount of blow-by as a direct result of the driving condition.

if your rings aren't seated well yet, or not seated properly, or damaged in some way, its obvious the result you're getting.
I baby it the first thousand miles. Never going over 70 and constantly changing speeds. I don't even use cruise control that first thousand miles. Don't drive it hard at all. 90% of my driving is around town under 50 miles an hour.
Here's how well I break my engines in…
Sold a boat back in the late 90s that had a Mercury 80HP. Buyer said all he wanted was a compression check and he would pay for it. Went to the boat service place and the mechanic said normally the compression reading would be about 29 psi brand new, but it's usually at 21 to 22 psi after they're broke in. I had 29 psi across all four of mine. Over 40 hours on that engine. Needless to say, the mechanic was quite impressed. He stated, "you broke this thing in right!" The boat sold on the spot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Delirious

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of them are leases so people don’t really give a rip. Woe to the second buyer though. And those that drive highway and longer distances ( heat) don’t have the issue. The dealer we worked with had 4 2021’s on their used lot with under 4K on them.
That's the number one reason I don't like buying a used vehicle.
Sponsored