Replacement Struts and Shocks - Non-FX4

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
I read a post earlier where someone just replaced the Struts and Shocks on a Non-FX4 with upgraded units for a cost of about $500.00.
For the life of me I cannot find that posting again. I am not looking to off-road or lift my Lariat 4X4 and am just looking for suspension with a bit more rebound / jounce control.
Can someone please point me to where this was posted?

Thanks for this and for all the postings regarding the new Ranger. I am learning quite a bit and am very appreciative of you all.

Harry
Sponsored

Str8sh0otr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4
OP
OP

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Srt8sh0otr,

YES, that is exactly the post I have been looking for!
Thanks for this information.
I believe it was rangerdanger that you are referring to as putting the Fox shocks
on the rear, but his setup is quite different than mine.
His has a lift and I am not looking to do that on mine.

Harry

OP
OP

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would like to thank Cerwin D Vega for pioneering this suspension upgrade for us!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I've seen someone buy a set of "Regular" eibach coilovers (using factory springs) for a cost of about 5-600$ as well. Personally I will be upgrading the FX4 shocks to something like the Icon kit, and I would assume those would be just as good on a non-FX4.

I've done some testing (in my FX4) and noted that slow speed, the shocks are trash, but at higher speed on dirt roads with uneven holes and washboard, they are actually quite good.

I drive over a small rock every morning(don't ask) and the truck bounces side to side at least 5x before settling down. I will probably do the same test in my dad's Lariat (no FX4) soon just to test the rebound.

Mark Lally

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT supercab ,2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
I installed the rear Fox 2.0 shocks on my 2WD ranger and I noted no improvement to the ride.

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
What's the best way to install? In the past, shocks would be compressed pretty good so you just had to clip a strap or wire but these were still about 4 inches too long with the strap the came with..

Never mind, answered my own question, looks like a ratchet strap will work.

Last edited:

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
Let us know if you feel any difference.
I'll know more about the ride today... but just after installing the fox shocks last night I can say getting on the rear bumper and jumping up the oem shocks would allow the truck to bounce 2-3 times before settling.. now, maybe once. Also, with the oem shocks I can easily compress them with one hand and almost no real effort... I had to use 2 hands and put my weight into it to compress the shocks.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
I read a post earlier where someone just replaced the Struts and Shocks on a Non-FX4 with upgraded units for a cost of about $500.00.
For the life of me I cannot find that posting again. I am not looking to off-road or lift my Lariat 4X4 and am just looking for suspension with a bit more rebound / jounce control.
Can someone please point me to where this was posted?

Thanks for this and for all the postings regarding the new Ranger. I am learning quite a bit and am very appreciative of you all.

Harry
Same here. Priced a set of Bilsteins delivered for $381 but may not have them in stock this year?

bilstein-shocks.jpeg
Sponsored