OP
troutspinner

troutspinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Got it!

Extremely happy with my choice. The best way to explain it is when you're looking for that perfect fitting boot, shirt, pants, or whatever and when you find the right one, it's like it was custom made with you in mind and perfect in every way.

2021 XLT 302a with towing package.

IMG_1128.jpeg
Sponsored

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I have no complaints with the ride in my 2019 XLT 4X4 Sport. I run the tires at recommended 30 psi, and it rides just like a 4400 lb truck should.

OP
OP
troutspinner

troutspinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I have no complaints with the ride in my 2019 XLT 4X4 Sport. I run the tires at recommended 30 psi, and it rides just like a 4400 lb truck should.
I noticed the dealer did not deflate to the recommended pressure on my 90 mile journey home so I’ll have to deflate in the morning but even at 45 it didn’t feel bad.

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
I am sure it does great off road. I wanted a truck for my needs though, around town and towing my boat. The only time I see off road is when I goto my brothers cabin in Sullivan County for deer season. And by off road, I mean a 1/4 mile maintained gravel driveway. Lol
Then do not waste the money on fx4 or 4x4. Problem solved.

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
Was not a problem so to speak. Just an observation of the ride quality. 4WD is needed though for weather and boat ramps. Went with a non-FX4 as the solution.
Having had a Nissan Frontier 4x4 and a 18ft boat with open differentials did not inspite confidence. The trail management and locking rear differential does. Just a thought.

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
I own a '19 Lariat FX4, now with abut 29K miles. The rear shocks loosen up somewhat once there are miles on the vehicle. My cabin is 6 miles from the highway and I can assure you those 6 miles are worse than the roads I experienced in Philly when I lived there. The truck handles those washboards just fine. Whether or not you would be happy once the shock loosen up is something only you can decide. Everyone here thinks new rear shocks seem to greatly improve handling issues. I have the OEM shocks so can't comment.

BTW, if you had young kids or a dog, leather is a very good thing.

I have carried a pretty good load in the bed, and yes, extra weight makes a very positive difference in the ride.

I own a '17 Escape 2.0L 4WD with over 70K miles. It has never been driven in Drive, always in Sport. From time to time I will experiment and put it in drive, almost immediately going back to Sport. It is much more "lively." As a result of that experience, the Ranger is also always in Sport Mode. It is also much more lively. Life time MPG for 29K is about 24.

While in Sport the transmission will down shift when braking from highway speeds and upshift at about 3,200 RPM. The nicest thing is, under normal urban driving with a light foot, when the RPM is between 2,300-2,800 there is always lots of power - immediately - for virtually all driving situations. The truck always feels like it wants to go with very little tip-in. It will up-shift to 10th at about 65-67MPH.

patmulligan99

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Was not a problem so to speak. Just an observation of the ride quality. 4WD is needed though for weather and boat ramps. Went with a non-FX4 as the solution.
you still enjoy? I am waiting for my ranger 4x4 non-FX4.

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Older thread, but before I got my Ranger I was worried about the ride due to the threads about the ride.
I've driven my XLT 4x4 all over our rough Oregon roads and I'm not just 'happy', I am absolutely impressed with how nice a ride it has.

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Yeah but I replaced my FX4 rear shocks with Eibach . The parking lot and off-road “wallow “ has significantly decreased and the added firm stance was very welcoming. The difference in compression and rebound of the two of the truck tells a great story. FX4 are very soft and mushy with 2k on them just using hand compression. Maybe the standard 4x4 are different but the FX4 are crap!!

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
Yeah but I replaced my FX4 rear shocks with Eibach . The parking lot and off-road “wallow “ has significantly decreased and the added firm stance was very welcoming. The difference in compression and rebound of the two of the truck tells a great story. FX4 are very soft and mushy with 2k on them just using hand compression. Maybe the standard 4x4 are different but the FX4 are crap!!
I thought my fx4 rode decent until I read about how bad they were here!

Seriously life without brake dive and wallowing as well a firm controlled ride is worth the expense. 18k on my Eibachs, worth every penny.

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Shadow Black Lariat 501A TREMOR
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
I thought my fx4 rode decent until I read about how bad they were here!

Seriously life without brake dive and wallowing as well a firm controlled ride is worth the expense. 18k on my Eibachs, worth every penny.
That's the internet for you. You're happy till a bunch of strangers tell you not to be.

Glad you're happy with the current shock swap.

Frank

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Initially I didn't think the FX4 was that bad either, but then all of my trips are short and local drives.

Yes, I had noticed the "floaty" ride but just chalked it up to it being a truck.

After reading on here about how much improvement the Bilsteins/Eibachs/Fox shocks added, I thought I'd give them a try.

Everyday driving did improve, but again since most of my drives are less than 20 minutes and local, I didn't notice a HUGE improvement...

That is, until I went down a dirt road I frequently drive on.

Gone was the rear end "skittering" across the washboard.

Wait, that was different...

Turn around, drive over it again.

Gone.

Has the road been scraped? Nope.

The rear end having been tamed was the difference.

Now I have the Bilsteins front and rear and Tremor leafs in the rear and I am 100% happy with my suspension.

I still have the complete FX4 suspension sitting in my shed. If I ever sell or trade you can bet the FX4 stuff is going back on it and someone on here will get a good deal on a great suspension improvement.

Though I would need to scrounge up some stock rear leafs. I turned mine in for scrap :headbang:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That's the internet for you. You're happy till a bunch of strangers tell you not to be.

Glad you're happy with the current shock swap.

Frank
Hey I didn't know I needed new tires on my brand new truck until I read it here. lol ?

But like the others I knew the Fx4 was "floaty" and wallowed over the washboards while off roading but just lived with it. Then after reading how everyone else improved their ride by changing them out I figured I'd change them out to see for myself. I gotta say it improved the ride 110% and the only regret was not doing it sooner. I'm sure for most the stock set up will work but if you go off road even a few times a year or have to drive through bumpy rough areas (some do for work or live on long gravel roads) this is money well spent. Even just doing the rears will improve your ride over the Pogo Stick Fx4 shocks.
Sponsored