Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The FX4 is doing exactly what it should...It is tuned for off road, not on road and the softness is exactly what was intended. If you do not want an off road package, It would have been likely the STX would have been more suitable. When Doug S and I developed the original FX4, the shock tuning was far softer for street than the STX was for a reason...that is how off road racing tunes their suspension.

Best.
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

Sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4; 2016 Corvette Stingray
The FX4 is doing exactly what it should...It is tuned for off road, not on road and the softness is exactly what was intended. If you do not want an off road package, It would have been likely the STX would have been more suitable. When Doug S and I developed the original FX4, the shock tuning was far softer for street than the STX was for a reason...that is how off road racing tunes their suspension.

Best.
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Ahhhhh, whenever i think of Ranger STX:

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4

Best.
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Well said, Phil. It is a shame I cannot 'Like' this post more than once. This is precisely why I went with the Sport 4x4 version. Thank you for the work you did with the Ranger. I am loving mine.

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired

Best.
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Contrary to many, I love the softer suspension and cannot wait to drive it down in Baja to see how it rides over washboard and whoop-de-doo's. My last trip down over spring break was 120 miles over roads that had been washed out from previous winter rains and not yet repaired. In a Rubicon I got beat to sh&t on that drive and required several brewskis, post trip, to recover.:like:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The subjectivity of ride quality and tires is measured by the seat of the pants computer. :crazy:
Hi Thom,

This is known in the automotive industry as the calibrated assometer!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Cerwin D. Vega

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
Guess what? My RQ problem is cured! I did not see a way to edit the title. but cured is better than solved in the title. I would come on here and just say changing to the Eibach Pro Truck Front and Rear Shocks designed for the Ranger solved the issue, but I suspect that in addition to the shocks the process of changing the shocks was a contributing factor. I do not know if there was a misaligned coil or a bad shock from the factory, but I do know that my Ride Quality issues are completely gone gone and gone! with the Eibach Pro Truck shocks for front and rear. The fronts are adjustable, but I left them at 0" lift.

I fwd the instructions that Eibach e-mailed me when i purchased to my shop. They had zero issues installing them.

Thanks to all who showed interest and provided insight .

Back to the nice 17" that came with the truck.

@Mark Lally go for it. This helped everything even those things not mentioned here such as start and stop pitch etc...

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Guess what? My RQ problem is cured! I did not see a way to edit the title. but cured is better than solved in the title. I would come on here and just say changing to the Eibach Pro Truck Front and Rear Shocks designed for the Ranger solved the issue, but I suspect that in addition to the shocks the process of changing the shocks was a contributing factor. I do not know if there was a misaligned coil or a bad shock from the factory, but I do know that my Ride Quality issues are completely gone gone and gone! with the Eibach Pro Truck shocks for front and rear. The fronts are adjustable, but I left them at 0" lift.

I fwd the instructions that Eibach e-mailed me when i purchased to my shop. They had zero issues installing them.

@Mark Lally go for it. This helped everything even those things not mentioned here such as start and stop pitch etc...
Great news! So it got rid of the wobble feel? How much was the shock kit?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

Good deal. It kind of sounded like you might have had a faulty coilover, but either way, cured is better than solved!

Congrats - now you can get to enjoying your new truck!

OP
OP
Cerwin D. Vega

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
Great news! So it got rid of the wobble feel? How much was the shock kit?
t got rid of a bunch of overly exaggerated motion in all directions. a set of fronts and rears came in right at $500.

Parts numbers:

2 ea; E60-35-048-01-01

2 ea: E60-35-048-01-10

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
t got rid of a bunch of overly exaggerated motion in all directions. a set of fronts and rears came in right at $500.

Parts numbers:

2 ea; E60-35-048-01-01

2 ea: E60-35-048-01-10
Thanks for price and part numbers. Bret

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
that
motortrend review is total BS. Maybe they need to break in IDK mine is Lariat FX4 but it was in the loaner program so it had 2000 miles when I got it so maybe the shocks need to break in or something.. Although the other FX4 I drove was brand new and rode just as good so... It rides like a dream. I feel more comfortable than I did in my 2013 Fusion. I've rode in tons of different trucks but not the new Colorado or Canyon so I can't compare to those.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Cerwin I gotta ask what is your avatar? Is that bits of food on a napkin?

OP
OP
Cerwin D. Vega

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
It is a Carnelian crystal, and a few Jasper flakes I found rock hounding in Colorado. Had high hopes for the Ranger in that regard.
Sponsored