FX4 vs Non-FX4 Ride Question

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I second what's been said about tire pressure. Most of the dealers seem to screw this up, and it makes a huge difference. You'd think they'd figure out that they'd sell more if they didn't ride like crap during test drives, but they seem focused on quick wax and talking really fast.
Sponsored

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Another PA guy here. I have a 2019 Lariat FX4 purchased new this past June. I didn't like the ride either and within 2 months replaced the stock shocks with Eibachs and raised the front 2". MUCH IMPROVED RIDE! As far as shifting I installed a tune from Unleashed Tuning.....once again MUCH IMPROVED and stays in gears (especially holding out of 9-10 until you're at 60-65mph).

I went with the Lariat because I wanted the leather seats (easy to clean with a dog), LED lighting and the B&O stereo, which I feel is awesome!

A lot of the other features I may never use, but it's nice to have them!

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Another vote for checking the psi in the tires. For some reason dealers do not do this at PDI, and just leave the transport pressure in them. My Ranger had over 40 in each tire. The thing drove, and rode better with the correct pressure. These trucks (mine also) are bouncy. But it's a truck with a full frame so it will be a little rough on well used roads. On a good road mines as smooth as a babies butt when cruising. And yes, test drive another without the FX4. And, if you test drive a 2wd don't do it in a FX2. You'll get the same ride. Good luck on your search.

BTW, in my corner of the country it seems that every dealer feels like it isn't a 4wd without the FX4 package. It's damn hard to find a standard 4wd.

OP
OP
troutspinner

troutspinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I test drove a Non-FX4 today. That is a rare beast to find around here. Anyways, yes, so much better to me than the FX4. It rode like I am use to in my Tacoma Limited and I did not find the tranny trying to correct for road bumps and skips, it was very smooth and effortless and I know I will enjoy driving it for years to come, especially highway driving. Tacomas suck on the highway! Anyways, I’ll be moving forward with a purchase.

I did decide against the Lariat. If I could get a Lariat with cloth seats I'd probably say yes but my Tacoma Limited is fully loaded and the only tech I use in it is climate control and heated seats so I'm definitely a low level user. LEDs and complete keyless operation will be missed but everything has its price. As for audio, B&O is nice but I'm looking forward to my next audio build because the troutspinner systems are REALLY nice. ;). Definitely look for me in the Audio section of the site in the future.

With that said, the dealer located a 2021 Crew Cab 4WD XLT with 302a and towing for me. Nothing else, no sidesteps, no tech package, exactly what I want, nothing less, nothing more. Don't get me wrong, I'll always take more if they give it to me for free, LOL

I wanted Carbonized Gray but they could only find that model with the exact options in Rapid Red so Rapid Red it will be. Gray was a no-brainer for me, a very conservative color but the youth still left in me really wanted Rapid Red so I'm pretty happy about it.

We discussed price, my wife has partner affiliation through her work so X-plan pricing turned out to be what I anticipated and felt was reasonable for that specific truck so it looks like I'll be hanging around this forum for quite a long time to come. ;)

Thank you to everyone who responded as well as responded to my several other question threads, the responses really helped me to determine exactly what I wanted. I know some of the newbie questions get repetitive on forums like these but you guys are pretty relaxed compared to other forums I visit and overall, I do think your participation helps in the purchasing decision. Don't get me wrong, I ain't sending you guys a commission on the sale ;) but I'll give credit where credit is due.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I test drove a Non-FX4 today. That is a rare beast to find around here. Anyways, yes, so much better to me than the FX4. It rode like I am use to in my Tacoma Limited and I did not find the tranny trying to correct for road bumps and skips, it was very smooth and effortless and I know I will enjoy driving it for years to come, especially highway driving. Tacomas suck on the highway! Anyways, I’ll be moving forward with a purchase.

I did decide against the Lariat. If I could get a Lariat with cloth seats I'd probably say yes but my Tacoma Limited is fully loaded and the only tech I use in it is climate control and heated seats so I'm definitely a low level user. LEDs and complete keyless operation will be missed but everything has its price. As for audio, B&O is nice but I'm looking forward to my next audio build because the troutspinner systems are REALLY nice. ;). Definitely look for me in the Audio section of the site in the future.

With that said, the dealer located a 2021 Crew Cab 4WD XLT with 302a and towing for me. Nothing else, no sidesteps, no tech package, exactly what I want, nothing less, nothing more. Don't get me wrong, I'll always take more if they give it to me for free, LOL

I wanted Carbonized Gray but they could only find that model with the exact options in Rapid Red so Rapid Red it will be. Gray was a no-brainer for me, a very conservative color but the youth still left in me really wanted Rapid Red so I'm pretty happy about it.

We discussed price, my wife has partner affiliation through her work so X-plan pricing turned out to be what I anticipated and felt was reasonable for that specific truck so it looks like I'll be hanging around this forum for quite a long time to come. ;)

Thank you to everyone who responded as well as responded to my several other question threads, the responses really helped me to determine exactly what I wanted. I know some of the newbie questions get repetitive on forums like these but you guys are pretty relaxed compared to other forums I visit and overall, I do think your participation helps in the purchasing decision. Don't get me wrong, I ain't sending you guys a commission on the sale ;) but I'll give credit where credit is due.
Congrats, and the rapid Red IS beautiful!

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Nice man! Rapid red might be the best color. I have a RWD XLT, a little bouncy on road, felt better on dirt roads. Biggest improvement was swapping the rear shocks to bilstein 5100's. If I would do it again I would get the bilstein 5160's which are the same, but with remote resis.

Reactions: EJH

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
I have the "FX2" package on my 20 Ranger. It does have a stiff ride.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
A red truck huh??
Cabose-1 is one of my favorite characters from a series called Red VS Blue. And Cabose-1 is a blue! Lol. Congrats on you new truck.

Ford F$*?/#@ Ranger

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
I definitely like the Rapid Red. I was looking at the Gray ones but none had all of the options that I wanted. Side steps and dual climate control were a must for me and the wife.

I drove down some gravel roads today with my XLT FX4 and some were little more than goat trails. The FX4 definitely did better and has a smoother ride than my XL STX 2wd on the same roads.

VainoN

First Name
Vaino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, Factory Five Cobra
Occupation
Tech Management
I purchased my 2020 XLT FX4 and found the ride fine for the first couple of thousand miles. After 3K miles it became very bouncy and felt uncontrollable. I took the replace the rear shocks route with the Bilstein 5100. Huge difference in ride and control. No more pendulum rocking. I will replace the fronts as well as it raised the rear another 1/4 inch and I'd like it to be more balanced. Transmission has been fine and adapted to my needs. Ride isn't stiff nor uncomfortable, but with the stock FX4 it became like a bobble doll. Much, much better than new now at 4k miles with even just the rear Bilsteins.

OP
OP
troutspinner

troutspinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Looks like the deal feel through and the dealer is not able to get the other dealer to do a swap. I've reached out to the other dealer, we'll see if they call me today. They're in-state and only an hour and a half away so no big deal to do a pickup if I can work something out via phone or email. Otherwise, there are a few trucks floating around at local dealers that would fit the bill or I could order. I am not in a rush.

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
When you take the fx4 package offroad you will appreceate how it handles. I keep 200lbs of stuff in a tool box in my bed. Seems to settle it a bit but it is a 4x4 full fram truck with a offroad package suspension.

OP
OP
troutspinner

troutspinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
When you take the fx4 package offroad you will appreceate how it handles. I keep 200lbs of stuff in a tool box in my bed. Seems to settle it a bit but it is a 4x4 full fram truck with a offroad package suspension.
I am sure it does great off road. I wanted a truck for my needs though, around town and towing my boat. The only time I see off road is when I goto my brothers cabin in Sullivan County for deer season. And by off road, I mean a 1/4 mile maintained gravel driveway. Lol
Sponsored