Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Shadow Black Lariat 501A TREMOR
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
Hey I didn't know I needed new tires on my brand new truck until I read it here. lol ?

But like the others I knew the Fx4 was "floaty" and wallowed over the washboards while off roading but just lived with it. Then after reading how everyone else improved their ride by changing them out I figured I'd change them out to see for myself. I gotta say it improved the ride 110% and the only regret was not doing it sooner. I'm sure for most the stock set up will work but if you go off road even a few times a year or have to drive through bumpy rough areas (some do for work or live on long gravel roads) this is money well spent. Even just doing the rears will improve your ride over the Pogo Stick Fx4 shocks.
I'm not suggesting that a truck (or anything) can't be improved with some aftermarket support. But we're not young (based on the posters you put on your wall). It seems a lot of folks these days are chasing the FOMO dragon. Or even buyers remorse, as after the purchase the internet has told them they made a mistake. It seems like people can't be happy with their choice, and spending money is the solution.

It was more or less a general comment, on the current state of things in the Western World. @Todd Chapin was happy with his truck, till he read about better shocks. I'm certain his new shocks are awesome, because of course they are. And I'm as happy for him as much as a stranger on the internet can be.

Just a thought that not all answers can be found chasing that dragon who lives on the internet. Maybe if your happy with a thing, that's all that's needed.

Frank
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I'm not suggesting that a truck (or anything) can't be improved with some aftermarket support. But we're not young (based on the posters you put on your wall). It seems a lot of folks these days are chasing the FOMO dragon. Or even buyers remorse, as after the purchase the internet has told them they made a mistake. It seems like people can't be happy with their choice, and spending money is the solution.

It was more or less a general comment, on the current state of things in the Western World. @Todd Chapin was happy with his truck, till he read about better shocks. I'm certain his new shocks are awesome, because of course they are. And I'm as happy for him as much as a stranger on the internet can be.

Just a thought that not all answers can be found chasing that dragon who lives on the internet.

Maybe if your happy with a thing, that's all that's needed.

Frank
Like the uneven bed and the fuel in the oil? :lipssealed::bandit:?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hey I didn't know I needed new tires on my brand new truck until I read it here. lol ?

But like the others I knew the Fx4 was "floaty" and wallowed over the washboards while off roading but just lived with it. Then after reading how everyone else improved their ride by changing them out I figured I'd change them out to see for myself. I gotta say it improved the ride 110% and the only regret was not doing it sooner. I'm sure for most the stock set up will work but if you go off road even a few times a year or have to drive through bumpy rough areas (some do for work or live on long gravel roads) this is money well spent. Even just doing the rears will improve your ride over the Pogo Stick Fx4 shocks.
This is interesting. I never had any issues about how my FX4 shocks handled washboards (and the FS roads have plenty of washboards), or anything offroad. I actually kind of liked the "floaty" suspension, but at times it felt a bit TOO "floaty". I put the Eibachs on the rear and it is much better - I'm very happy with that decision. I've considered changing out the fronts as well, but have decided I'm good with where it is.

As with styling and seat comfort, the "ride" is highly personal and people are all over the board with opinions.

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
That's the internet for you. You're happy till a bunch of strangers tell you not to be.

Glad you're happy with the current shock swap.

Frank
Pretty much joking. But I had thought about lifting the truck when I initially leased it and difinitely was not going to do spacers as previous. The forum helped me make an educated decision when I decided to purchase the truck and mod it for a 100k mile run.

Okinawa Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302, 2022 Ranger XLT/Splash/FX4
Occupation
Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Shop Owner
1) Most of us who have similar complaints about the bouncy ride replace the rear shocks and that virtually solves it. Many go further and replace the front shocks too, but usually the front shocks are done to level the truck more for aesthetics, off-roading, or fitting larger tires, or some combination of all.

I knew enough about the bouncy ride to expect it on my test drive 6 months ago, and just figured I would replace the shocks when I bought the truck. For me, my other option was the Tacoma, which had many shortfalls that were not as easy to fix as replacing shocks. Hence I bought the Ranger.

2) Your second point, about the transmission, is valid. I find that in drive mode the transmission seeks out the highest possible gear, to the point of lugging the engine, all in the name of better gas mileage. This is just a reality of current trend of seeking the best MPG possible. Did you drive it in sport mode? I will tend to drive in sport mode anytime I'm in the mountains, at elevation, etc

The above said, both my 2016 Subaru Forester and my wife's 2021 Subaru Crosstrek do the same thing in their default drive mode. The vehicles seek out the highest possible gear, drive slow, and lug the engine, unless you put it in the respective sport mode. We end up just driving in sport mode all the time.

I think that an engine tune will adjust the shift points as well, but someone else would have to speak for that.

Not sure what your other options are besides the Ranger, but for me, this truck was the best available where I could fix the shortcomings that bothered me.
My $.02, I like my FX4'S stock ride. I've been on Western PA, and shithole Connecticut roads. Virginia has very smooth roads, I agree, you can't judge suspension until a vehicle is ridden in rough road states. Me, I'm not going to change my shocks, Rough country leveling plates will be my mod when out of warranty.

I like the FX4 on dirt roads and unpaved terrain, they soak up bumps good. I'm not playing Raptor mind you, just driving at a decent clip.

Jamie Jack

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I built a drawer system in the bed to hold my fishing gear, the weight pretty much solved the ride issues.
Sponsored