XLT vs FX4 shocks & struts

waloud

First Name
Whitaker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 LB Ranger
I purchased a 2019 XLt, Preety happy with it. I'm looking at doing a level kit soon. I keep seeing the factory FX4 shocks and struts for sale. Looking for some feedback on these. Are they any better than the XLT . Any info would be great.
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
In my practical testing with my Dad's Lariat Sport and my FX4 XLT, they are functionally identical at low speeds. I can't vouch for high speeds because he doesn't drive fast and never exceeds 25mph off the pavement :)

Deleted member 1634

I think it's such a toss-up and so related to ones preferences. Some on here say the FX4 suspension is too bouncy and wallowy. Others, like myself, either don't feel like it's that way or don't care/enjoy it better that way.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I think it's such a toss-up and so related to ones preferences. Some on here say the FX4 suspension is too bouncy and wallowy. Others, like myself, either don't feel like it's that way or don't care/enjoy it better that way.
I tested an FX4 XLT Sport crewcab and a Lariat Sport Crewcab on exactly the same slow speed "course". I counted rebound, and tested a few other parameters (objective and subjective ones). They performed identically in my opinion. My guess is the FX4 is either identical and just branding, or the difference is only apparent on serious size bumps at speed.

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
I did not have non FX4 to compare to but on washboard dirt roads or potholed roads, they did very well and allowed me to go as fast as I felt was safe. I think the advantage is at higher speeds like was mentioned above. On-road it is a little floaty.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
There is a reason that you "keep seeing the factory FX4 shocks and struts for sale"!
You see them because folks are upgrading to aftermarket components. Not necessarily because they are unhappy with them but they are seeking a higher performance component.
We all know that there is room for improvement on most manufacturer's shocks, struts, and other components. They are building for the masses and attempting to make a satisfactory truck at a reasonable price point.

JNSnyder

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I have a full set (fx4) I’ll give away if someone wants to pay shipping. I’m tired of them sitting in my garage lol. They might be a little dusty, they’ve been sitting for a year.
Still got those laying around? I'm just a couple hours north of you

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
From Experience, the FX Shocks are extremely poor. They have hard impact damping, and an almost instantaneous (No) rebound damping. These undesirable attributes creat a harsh ride over bumps of any size, exactly what you DON'T want in an offraod shocks- Hence the prevalance of the Eibach and Bilstien upgrades. What you want in an offroad shock is one with a forgiving initial damp followed with a controlled rebound. The FX shock has non of that. That's why when i pulled mine they went into the trash can, and not resold. I would not do that to someone! Look at the eibach upgrade thread. It's a huge improvment in ride quality to be rid of them. In short, Trash them, do not put them on your truck. C.

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
I'm swapping my stock rear shocks with FX shocks. Ill post my findings here. Who nows, might still be helpful to some in the future.
rear shocks are easy to replace so that would be a fairly easy test to do! Let us know what you think! One of my sons actually prefer the FX shocks over the Fox 2.0 leveling setup!

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I put Eibach on mine and it was the best improvement ever!!!! Anone who wants them can also have my FX4 stuff.
Sponsored