Remove tune before oil change

theanswer3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Vehicle Showcase
So those of you who are tuned. Do you flash back to stock before going to the dealership for an oil change?
Sponsored

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
I did - just in case they apply a powertrain update.

Are you running Livernois?

OP
OP
theanswer3

theanswer3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Vehicle Showcase
No I have unleashed but I heard it can lock out the sct tuner.

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Livernois so am unfamiliar with Unleashed, but here's the gist with the Livernois.

Here's what Anthony at Livernois said in an earlier post about it:

Any time you take the vehicle into the dealer or a shop in general for service it's strongly suggested to revert back to the stock tune and to check your Module Info before / after before trying to re-install the tune. Often times Ford may have released a newer stock cal update that can change your ECU strategy and SW codes. If you get the vehicle back and the ECU / SW codes are no longer the same, you'd want to hold off on tuning the truck and send us a new tune request with those updated codes so we can set up the corresponding tunes to match.​
Also if you forget to take it back to stock and they do end up applying a factory calibration update no worries. They just flash the truck back to stock and load the updated cal, but it won't cause any issues with the tune or ECU. Some of the competitors devices marry to the cal in the truck and then won't work after if someone overwrote their tune without getting the manufacturer / calibrator involved, but our programmer does not have that issue. Still always best to flash it back to stock before service though either way so you are not making it harder on your dealer tech to check for TSB updates and things of that nature.​

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
The one problem with going back to the stock tune is a ford dealer CAN NOT RE FLASH YOUR VEHICLE IF YOU DO NOT HAVE AN ISSUE UNLESS THERE IS A RECALL REQUIREING A REFLASH OF THRE PCM.... Not trying to be an ass but it is the truth.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
So those of you who are tuned. Do you flash back to stock before going to the dealership for an oil change?
I Donā€™t ..
Regards

EDIT:
I know the service manager at my Ford place and he said they donā€™t touch the ECU during service, albeit, he knows the truck is tuned and I race it. Regular service does not require them to touch the ECU.

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
The one problem with going back to the stock tune is a ford dealer CAN NOT RE FLASH YOUR VEHICLE IF YOU DO NOT HAVE AN ISSUE UNLESS THERE IS A RECALL REQUIREING A REFLASH OF THRE PCM.... Not trying to be an ass but it is the truth.
If a customer specifically requests that the dealership NOT re-flash their truck..... will the dealership follow the customers specification?

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
If a customer specifically requests that the dealership NOT re-flash their truck..... will the dealership follow the customers specification?
Depends on the service writers. Some will while others won't. All down to if the service writer is paying attention when creating the work order or not. If they are not paying attention they may include the TSB when it pops up as available as part of the service request when creating the service order. The majority of techs won't just go an do it without it being on the service order since they wouldn't be getting paid for it.

OWSportninja

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport SuperCrew 2wd
Nah... Also if you are that worried about it why not change the oil yourself? I didnt even reflash when they replaced my hpfp under warranty for fuel in oil concerns. But I also work at the dealership and all the techs know im tuned lol

Reactions: Doc

Bluebeastsrt

First Name
Big D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger 4X4
Just change your own oil. It'll save you a ton of money over what the dealer will charge. And you don't have to worry about a tune. The stories of how hard it is to change the oil in these rangers is GREATLY exaggerated !
Sponsored