Remote Transmission Dip Stick Aftermarket Support?

Would you get in line to buy one?

• Total voters

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Oh damn, easy you guys,

It is meaningless, about temp, running, any of that, all you are doing is checking the factory stick against the new stick, 4 or 5 or 6, cold, hot doesn't matter, just transfer the marks.

Let me get this done before we worry about the details, that's my job.

you s#!t heads really give me solid motivation, thanks!
Lemme send you money for putting up with all of this you dipstick. PM your PayPal etc.

I wanna buy this and make it as easy as possible.

Also supporting the R&D.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
It's on the way, a bit more involved than I expected, both from the fabrication and fitment, the manufacturing variables, and the gang here.

I do appreciate all the input.

Thanks.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
When everyone says "mark", what is used to "mark"? Certainly not black markers?!
Use the original dipstick to determine the fluid level with the engine cold overnight. Use a marker to mark the location on the old dipstick.

Put the two dipsticks side by side, the new one seated in the new tube. Align threads to threads (or the base mounting locations) of each and transfer the mark to the same location on the new dipstick. Then scribe the 4th , 5th, and 6th marks from the old dipstick to the new dipstick using the temporary mark as the starting point to measure from. Me, I am going to dimple the marks using a punch. Or drill a small hole. I may even stamp a 4, 5, & 6 on the dipstick, but the holes will be my level marks.

This is the general idea in a nut shell. Details may change a little based on how far the new dipstick tube seats on the transmission body. Flush is always easiest.

Easy Peezy...

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh damn, easy you guys,

It is meaningless, about temp, running, any of that, all you are doing is checking the factory stick against the new stick, 4 or 5 or 6, cold, hot doesn't matter, just transfer the marks.

Let me get this done before we worry about the details, that's my job.

you s#!t heads really give me solid motivation, thanks!
R U Having fun yet! :clap:

Seriously, I am on hold until I get your dipstick. It is going to make my task much MUCH easier.

18K miles on my 2020 Ranger

New dipstick + New PPE deep pan + New Filter + New Transmission Fluid = Piece of Mind

Reports are that the extra 1.75 quarts lowers transmission fluid temps by ~10F-12F. My truck has shifted smoothly all winter, but since spring I have noticed a definite roughness in shifts. I am minimizing driving time until I complete this project.

Last edited:

2021Ranger

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Question, can the factory dipstick be removed with out fluid running down your arm when cold?

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Looks like everything since about 6:00am this morning.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
R U Having fun yet! :clap:

Seriously, I am on hold until I get your dipstick. It is going to make my task much MUCH easier.

18K miles on my 2020 Ranger

New dipstick + New PPE deep pan + New Filter + New Transmission Fluid = Piece of Mind

Reports are that the extra 1.75 quarts lowers transmission fluid temps by ~10F-12F. My truck has shifted smoothly all winter, but since spring I have noticed a definite roughness in shifts. I am minimizing driving time until I complete this project.
Don't see how that can be the case, once the extra volume warms up, it'd going to be the same temp as the original oil volume. However If the new pan is bigger and sticks down further into the airflow under the truck, particularly if cast alloy, and it is finned on the bottom, then I can see how that might make a difference.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't see how that can be the case, once the extra volume warms up, it'd going to be the same temp as the original oil volume. However If the new pan is bigger and sticks down further into the airflow under the truck, particularly if cast alloy, and it is finned on the bottom, then I can see how that might make a difference.
I am only parroting what has been reported. But I believe it to be true. It is cast aluminum with fins.
1684502201570.png

For instance (GM's variant of the 10R80 10 Speed Trannie)
Huge difference in temp. From day 1 my 2021 Silverado 1500 3.0L was hitting 210 to 230 Temps here in Arizona summers. Dealer service said it was normal that they run Temps after constantly returning with temp concerns. I installed the pan at 45000 mile oil change. Now temps at the peak of summer are 190 to 200 when sitting in traffic.
After installing I took it back to the dealer and they were shocked by the difference in temps.​

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
I had to buy the cap and stick assembly to find out, I figure, all I'll have accomplished with this post, is showing that it's not difficult to make, order the fittings, machine the fitting, cut the hose, assemble it to the correct length, buy the right stick, make a bracket.

The hard part is figuring it all out for the first time, if it all works, then I have to decide weather or not I try to sell them, or give out the info and let everybody build their own.

I already mentioned the pitch in a earlier post, M20 x 1.5mm.

So the real question would be, how many people really would buy one?

Or rather take what I've shown and make their own, I wonder if the next question will be "what's that dipstick from"

If I set up to sell them they will be crimped on hose ends, I still have to figure out the bracket, (I already have the billet one above) I'm going to mount it to the engine, that's how most dipsticks are mounted, otherwise you transmit noise and vibration right into the firewall.

I haven't added it up yet, I'm a long way from guessing a price, it's setup and 4 lathe cuts on the upper fitting and the bracket labor is a unknown, everything else is off the shelf, I do have to remark the stick, it wont be bad, a lot less than B&M.

Thanks for all the interest, I wish I could proceed, truck is still at the dealer, yesterday I got the call "the APIM didn't fix the problem", waited 6 weeks for it:curse:, I'll have it back tomorrow fixed or not.
Your work looks meticulous and I like what I see more than B&M.

Plus you're a real Ranger person, so the value to me, would be high.

I think I'd easily spend $100 for yours, maybe more. If it works and it's the high quality you've shown us, then the price really is secondary. Quality is first for me followed by made in the US - so you're checking all my boxes. =)