Remote Transmission Dip Stick Aftermarket Support?

Would you get in line to buy one?

• Total voters

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
This has been mentioned and asked for in many threads but can we have any vendor here support an alternative to the outrageously priced B&M dip stick?

Anyone? Anyone? Low hanging fruit...easy to engineer, few parts, potentially many customers...$150 or less...
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I would buy one if it was pre-marked like OEM. I would not if I had to "scribe" marks on it like the B&M version.
I'm with you there. Unfortunately that would require a stop for the dipstick at the transmission fitting, not at the upper end. The need to be flexible to meet various engine and truck combinations makes the final extension somewhat variable. Combine that with Ford using different dipstick markings on different vehicles. Kind of makes a universal 10R80 dipstick hard.

Bad enough they seem to spec different levels also. No wonder they can’t get them filled correctly at the factory.

Best to hope for someone to come out with competition for B&M and self calibrate.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
Okay so as I have never seen nor handled one - does this B&M dipstick allow the transmission to be filled as well or is it simply big enough for the indicator to go through?

hurr durr - just did my own research and yes its for fill as well.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Okay so as I have never seen nor handled one - does this B&M dipstick allow the transmission to be filled as well or is it simply big enough for the indicator to go through?

hurr durr - just did my own research and yes its for fill as well.
I have one, and as you found out, you can fill via the tube....just need a small funnel/narrow neck.

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have one, and as you found out, you can fill via the tube....just need a small funnel/narrow neck.
I'm guessing this could be a long process and go slow so as to not overfill? All the time with the engine running...

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Might take a while to get ~7 or what ever quarts through it after you drain. Probably still better than laying under the truck and pumping it in.

Side note: @Grumpaw how did you route and mount your tube. Looking for ideas for when I get mine. If you posted I must have missed it. Thanks

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Might take a while to get ~7 or what ever quarts through it after you drain. Probably still better than laying under the truck and pumping it in.

Side note: @Grumpaw how did you route and mount your tube. Looking for ideas for when I get mine. If you posted I must have missed it. Thanks
Lee, check out my Feb 24 post under What did you do to your Ranger today, post #17,521. I went into a bit of detail about mounting it to the tranny case, and I just ran the tube up between engine and firewall. I just did a quick wire tie to an over fill hose, so I could easily hold the tube upright/verticle when I need to fill or get an accurate check. I didn't want to rigidly mount it as I wanted it to flex with the engine movement. The tube itself is plenty ridged so it dosen't move around or bump into engine or exhaust.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lee, check out my Feb 24 post under What did you do to your Ranger today, post #17,521. I went into a bit of detail about mounting it to the tranny case, and I just ran the tube up between engine and firewall. I just did a quick wire tie to an over fill hose, so I could easily hold the tube upright/verticle when I need to fill or get an accurate check. I didn't want to rigidly mount it as I wanted it to flex with the engine movement. The tube itself is plenty ridged so it dosen't move around or bump into engine or exhaust.
Thanks I'll check it out.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I won’t lie, long ago I looked into doing my own. Even bought a full dipstick and cap assembly from Ford. Also found a 5AN 3/8 ID hose with the right fittings. Did the CAD drawings to laser mark the Ford markings on the probe stick and then I lost focus on it. Still need to figure out how to mount the top end and still have it in a place that makes checks and filling painless. If that all comes together at some point I can then set the lengths of the blue steel inner probe so that’s not an issue. Different mounting will change the length it protrudes into the tranny case.

I think some of the fittings would have to be done on a Swiss turning center for replacement of factory nut and also the top end knob and lock mechanism.

Someday I get er done!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I won’t lie, long ago I looked into doing my own. Even bought a full dipstick and cap assembly from Ford. Also found a 5AN 3/8 ID hose with the right fittings. Did the CAD drawings to laser mark the Ford markings on the probe stick and then I lost focus on it. Still need to figure out how to mount the top end and still have it in a place that makes checks and filling painless. If that all comes together at some point I can then set the lengths of the blue steel inner probe so that’s not an issue. Different mounting will change the length it protrudes into the tranny case.

I think some of the fittings would have to be done on a Swiss turning center for replacement of factory nut and also the top end knob and lock mechanism.

Someday I get er done!
I've been thinking the same since posting this poll...we have the cap to reverse engineer the end fitting...we have the short dipstick and know it's dimensional relationship to this cap...it seems to me a simple matter of simple CAD exercise to turn this shorty into a long flexible dipstick...mounting the extension tube to under the hood is the easy part IMO...I do much much more complicated CAD design work in my day job so this should be fun...

I think I will order an extra set of tranny dipstick and cap and go from there...anyone have a link for these two parts?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I've been thinking the same since posting this poll...we have the cap to reverse engineer the end fitting...we have the short dipstick and know it's dimensional relationship to this cap...it seems to me a simple matter of simple CAD exercise to turn this shorty into a long flexible dipstick...mounting the extension tube to under the hood is the easy part IMO...I do much much more complicated CAD design work in my day job so this should be fun...

I think I will order an extra set of tranny dipstick and cap and go from there...anyone have a link for these two parts?
Let me look at my desk tomorrow at work. Think I still have the bag with the part number on it

Pretty sure you’re right on the backwards engineering of the plug. The top wall is pretty thin on factory one so the plastic insert docks. Ether a press fit plug and then drill and tap or make it that way from scratch with rod stock.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I do HR for an aerospace machine shop/assembly shop/engineer team. I wonder how many would need to be made before they would actually turn the machines on for me....

We have engineer interns starting in a few weeks. Might be something for them to do if they dont have another project. Let them do the math and program the CNC machines.

#howHRgetsfiredforwastingcompanytime
Sponsored