Remote Transmission Dip Stick Aftermarket Support?

Would you get in line to buy one?

• Total voters
OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
Not sure Phil could help, he's super helpful, but this is just a process to finalize materials, fit and Mfg, I'm fairly sorted at this point, the Mfg is my last step, it would be great if he could assist with that, or anybody else.

Now it's just a procurement thing, sometimes this step can make you crazy, it becomes a what supplier to use and how much to order at what cost thing!

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Hi Rob,

Up in Flagstaff and on parks wifi now...

best,
Phil
Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument is a great place to visit in Flagstaff, but I bet you already know this! It has been 25 years since I've been back there so things may have changed a bit.

A movie crew in the 1930's ( I think ) almost blew it up for a special effects scene!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Haven't heard from Phil (Ford engineer) but these may be good questions for him...can't remember his handle this morning...trans not engaging...
Hi Sid,

I rarely comment on aftermarket parts as there is little testing vs what Ford specifications would be before release for production or aftermarket sales, so can not say much. There are companies out there that produce high quality stuff and those that produce junk. I have no direct experience with aftermarket parts for many of the systems, but some Suspension suppliers give me the willies... Backyard engineering with little to no testing. "It looks right" is not enough. Where in this day and age is your FEA durability analysis at least?

Best,
Phil

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Hi Sid,

I rarely comment on aftermarket parts as there is little testing vs what Ford specifications would be before release for production or aftermarket sales, so can not say much. There are companies out there that produce high quality stuff and those that produce junk. I have no direct experience with aftermarket parts for many of the systems, but some Suspension suppliers give me the willies... Backyard engineering with little to no testing. "It looks right" is not enough. Where in this day and age is your FEA durability analysis at least?

Best,
Phil
Just got done creating a new fuel cell mount on my old Jalopy. After test fitting the only durability test was shaking it firmly with a "yeah, that's not going anywhere."

But I'm not selling anything, it's going in my truck and mine alone.

That being said, Fitz has a pretty strong engineering/racing pedigree as well and all of his testing and design is available for any of us to peruse here.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just got done creating a new fuel cell mount on my old Jalopy. After test fitting the only durability test was shaking it firmly with a "yeah, that's not going anywhere."

But I'm not selling anything, it's going in my truck and mine alone.

That being said, Fitz has a pretty strong engineering/racing pedigree as well and all of his testing and design is available for any of us to peruse here.
Hi Doug,

I agree Fritz has great background for sure and the parts assenbly is not a Delta item. Ford has rigid requirements for Delta parts. Simple terms...You do not F*ck with Brakes, Steering and Fuel systems....for example.

Best,
Phil

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Hi Doug,

I agree Fritz has great background for sure and the parts assenbly is not a Delta item. Ford has rigid requirements for Delta parts. Simple terms...You do not F*ck with Brakes, Steering and Fuel systems....for example.

Best,
Phil
That seems to make sense.

Hell, even shadetreeing my old truck I follow a similar "that'll shall not fuck with" philosophy. My new fuel cell mount is 54.2% stronger and 130% safer than what it is replacing by my back of beer can calculations.:LOL:

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Phil is right, design is not enough, there should be FEA and durability testing with everything, even then, real world application can bring unforeseen problems.

I obviously cannot model it for anything but Mfg, I had many miles on the one I put in the F150, I basically copied the same design.

Turns out the hose and fittings I'm using come from the same Mfg as B&M and Moroso's dipsticks, same spec, just specific length for the Ranger, which was just dumb luck, I walk into the old hose shop I've been going to for years, they ask what PSI what fluid, I say "a trans dipstick" he goes "this is what we supply B&M and Moroso with" (nylon braided) I said "great give me two of them xx inches long"

So as far as product material choice I'm comfortable with the Nylon braid, the other fittings are basic, one requires sizing but maintains original integrity, the dipstick itself is a older model Ford replacement stick, so that is as good as Dorman can make them.

The final and most important part is the fit, B&M for example make a 36" stick and that's it, it must rub in places depending upon the level of skill with the installer, one of my biggest challenges has been in this area.

I have worked it into a proper fit though, it took more than just routing, shaping was required, which also facilitates installation, I personally dislike NVH, so if its going on my truck, it cant touch the firewall. It's dumb simple to install now, and the bracket at the top, it's 6mm bolt goes into a U nut that just clips on the engine bracket, I will also provide a Nylock nut as a option for those who prefer it over the U nut. (just means you have to use a wrench:crackup:)

So another aspect is the marking of the stick, my goal is to have a exact fit, proper accurate marks, I wonder how many people mismark the transfer marks on a B&M stick, that can have warranty implications, this may be a costly goal though, it means I have to hand machine each top fitting to match the variables in hose and stick Mfg, so this is still on the table, I have to weigh the final labor to profit numbers. as well as it takes the responsibility out of my hands, if my markings are off in any way, that's my problem, if the consumer is off that's their problem, but I would rather be a product that a consumer has confidence in, and does not have to do anything but install it, we'll see.

I know why B&M dont mark them, the stated hose tolerance from the Mfg is +- 1/4", I have found it to be up to +- 3/8" actually, the hose shop said they ship 200 a month to B&M, there is no way to individually size that quantity, and B&M isn't that kind of company.

I really appreciate everyone's interest and input, I should clarify two earlier posts, I requested no critical input as the pic may not represent the final version, then I posted what my critical input would have been in looking at the pic as a outsider, I have already addressed those issues, sorry for the confusion, so, I'm sorry to interrupt the vacation Phil, I'm honored you chimed in, with valid points as alwaysđź‘Ť

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I for one appreciate all of your hard work and attention to detail, and will be in line for one when/if they are offered. I am sure it will be a far superior product than the others being offered on the market. One reason I never bought the B&M, sub-par product for an inflated price.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Hi Sid,

Best,
Phil
Way back in 1980 I visited a 19 year old kid in the hospital, in traction with a broken neck. Had that pulley system with screws attached to the top of the skull and the weight hanging on the other end.

The result of a single car accident.

He had purchased a kit to raise his truck 6 inches, and after installation he went for a test drive. He was pushing his truck hard on a dirt back road test when a suspension component failed (A weld joint) and serious crash was the result - totaled his truck and very nearly killed him.

This simply underscores and validates your experience, comments, and viewpoints. Do your homework, and purchase high quality components from reputable suppliers.

One last comment - Thank you for your contribution to the work on the 4G. There are millions still on the road. And my 2005 Ranger is still my favorite truck! Pushing 200K now.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Way back in 1980 I visited a 19 year old kid in the hospital, in traction with a broken neck. Had that pulley system with screws attached to the top of the skull and the weight hanging on the other end.

The result of a single car accident.

He had purchased a kit to raise his truck 6 inches, and after installation he went for a test drive. He was pushing his truck hard on a dirt back road test when a suspension component failed (A weld joint) and serious crash was the result - totaled his truck and very nearly killed him.

This simply underscores and validates your experience, comments, and viewpoints. Do your homework, and purchase high quality components from reputable suppliers.

One last comment - Thank you for your contribution to the work on the 4G. There are millions still on the road. And my 2005 Ranger is still my favorite truck! Pushing 200K now.
Hi Tony,

What a sad story.... It is unfortunately part of the Aftermarket where it is buyer beware...

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ah you s#!t head, you beat me to it, I come on to give a update and I find you spilling your popcorn while stirring the pot.

I am up to the 8th and final drawing revision, finally.

Ha, I seem to remember.......
.it seems to me a simple matter of simple CAD exercise to turn this shorty into a long flexible dipstick
Brother, I wish, whew, I went down this rabbit hole with a jet pack strapped to my ass, but I think in the end it's a decent result, hopefully some people here are about to find out in a few weeks.

I got local quotes and international, no wonder people have China make stuff, there is a $29 difference each for the brackets between USA and China, and that's without chamfers, isn't that great:facepalm:, I was hoping to source mostly U.S. stuff, I have one last guy to try here (CNC in his garage) after that it's overseas.
I have to add, one part, not 60, just one test part, made here over $250, ouch, not sure on that one, gamble the aluminum ones will fit just like the plastic printed ones? and order 60 of them? they are from the same file, this is where it gets bonkers, I will have to sell a lot of dipsticks to ever come clear of the cost to get here.

Anyways, Ive been running one on the truck for quite a few miles, still haven't seen any heat show up on the temp test strip, but it's been cool here, I need a 106 degree day.
IMG_5629.JPEG
IMG_5638.JPEG
IMG_5636.JPEG

I should add.... no disrespect intended to the popcorn spilling individual, just sarcasm:LOL:
Sponsored