Deathrider

Deathrider

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
New update, i cannot put up with these tires, I got the Scorpion All terrain Plus installed
at 265/65/18.
They are smoother MUCH lighter and better handling, also by touching both tires I noticed the Perrelli's have a softer compound than the BFG's.

PXL_20210403_190706534.jpg
Sponsored

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
New update, i cannot put up with these tires, I got the Scorpion All terrain Plus installed
at 265/65/18.
They are smoother MUCH lighter and better handling, also by touching both tires I noticed the Perrelli's have a softer compound than the BFG's.

You can't go wrong with Scorpions. I had them on my 2014 Explorer and loved them!

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, Im new here and i just put on 265/70/18 KO2 tires on the Ranger after my Fox 2.0 leveling kit, i think it looks good but the truck feels more sluggish, it takes longer to brake, these are E rated 10 ply so they are really heavy, now i cant return them, i only had them on for a week, do you guys think i should just stick with them? i dont want parts to wear quicker than they should, i am about to go with Perrelli Scorpion plus all terrain instead, in 265/65/18.
so i have a set of KO2 for sale local only, im in Illinois
ranger1.jpg
Yeah, those are like 15-20 lbs heavier per tire for LT's. Just one reason not to go the LT route.

Not to mention that the Rangers capabilities will never require LT tires.

This is why I am going Toyo AT 3's when I need tires. 255/70R17 are 37 lbs ea. Not much more than the stock tires.

I put Falken Wildpeaks on my F150. Awesome tire, but 50lbs plus each. Killed my mpg.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
at 265/65/18.

more pics!

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
But my wife will notice the scorpions. If you want to increase the diameter of your FX4’s stock Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/65R17 you can install 265/70R17 Hankook Dynapro AT2 and your wife will not even notice.
A50162FA-8319-40E4-A207-7A4E63170D57.jpeg

Of course no one else will notice either, but they are 5 lbs light than stock and have a MUCH smoother ride.

CashSeeAO

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Semi-retired engineer
But my wife will notice the scorpions. If you want to increase the diameter of your FX4’s stock Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/65R17 you can install 265/70R17 Hankook Dynapro AT2 and your wife will not even notice.
A50162FA-8319-40E4-A207-7A4E63170D57.jpeg

Of course no one else will notice either, but they are 5 lbs light than stock and have a MUCH smoother ride.
Hi John, I am debating whether to replace my Standard Load Hankook ATM with the newer Hankook AT2. I do love my current ride with the ATM. Please provide some feedback on your AT2. Current mileage on them? Comfort? Noise? Wear? Traction? Etc? Thanks.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I am debating whether to replace my Standard Load Hankook ATM with the newer Hankook AT2. I do love my current ride with the ATM.
If you like the ATM, then by all means keep them. I like my ATM also, but they were Light Truck tires and rode rough, and the replacement AT2 are one size larger and standard load, so they have a more comfortable ride.

CashSeeAO

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Semi-retired engineer
If you like the ATM, then by all means keep them. I like my ATM also, but they were Light Truck tires and rode rough, and the replacement AT2 are one size larger and standard load, so they have a more comfortable ride.
Thanks. Yes I plan to keep my SL Hankook ATM Pro until it’s time to replace them. I am just looking ahead. How many miles do you have on your AT2? How is the wear? Traction in rain, snow?

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
How many miles do you have on your AT2?
Brand new. Maybe 300 miles. All I can tell you is they are quieter and that is saying something since I thought the ATM was quiet.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
Thanks for the honest feedback. Adding these to my list

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I think the lesson here is the E Rating, and not the BFGATKO design. An E has a heavier carcass and stiffer plys. A Perelli Scorpion, Hankook, Bridgesstone Desert Dueller, or General Grabbers, if built to the same E Load rating would have similar drive characteristics when compared t lesser load rated tires.

I'm still going ATKO when I upgrade because I've had excellent results with them. But I'd never get an E Rated version

A C1 rated ATKO weighs in at 46LBS and runs on pavement at 40 PSI and carries a max load of 2469 per wheel for a combined axle load of about 5,000 LBS.

An E rated version weighs in 54LBS and runs on 80PSI on pavement and can carry up to 3197 per wheel for a combined axle load of 6,400 LBS

The Ford Published Max Rear Payload Capacity is 1,800 LBS. If you figure the back half of the truck doesn't weigh more than 1,000 LBS (just my guess) then the max load on your rear tires should never exceed 2,800 LBS. That's only 56% of what the C rated tires can handle and is a minuscule 43% of what the E rated tires can handle.

Since you are never likely to load up to a point that would make a critical difference betwen C and E rated tires, there is no beneficial trade off. You are sacrificing unsprung weight, rotational mass, stopping distance, fuel economy, ride comfort, and quite possibly a slightly noisier tire for no realizable benefit.

To the OP - See if you can go back to the dealer and make the case that a trained tire professional should have never let you put an E Rated tire on a Mid Sized Light Truck and that they steered you in the wrong direction at their own benefit for higher profit on a more expensive tire.

Update - I got the BFG ATKO's in a C1 Load Rating. Have had them for about two months now. Drove around in them and enjoyed the hell out of them, but I noticed the wife was starting to look like one of those inflatable noodle people outside of the used car lots when we went over speed bumps and pulled in and out of parking lots.

Discount tire had them aired up to 40 pounds and I noticed when I moved the truck off of where I was parking it that the tire patch print it left was a little lean on the outer edges so I chalked my tires. Turns out 40lbs of air is too much. I aired them down to 36 and the patch got even and the chalk looks consistent across the tire.

Now my wife doesn't bounce around the cab like dice at a craps table any more.

After seeing what a difference 4lbs of air made in a C load rated tire I question the sanity of any tire shop putting an E load rated tire on a Ranger and juicing it up to 80lbs. Not even the finest tires in all the land would ride well under those conditions.