Rear differential pinion seal replacement

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
This morning on my way to work, I ran over a huge wad of stretch wrap. It ended up wrapped around the driveshaft u-joint at the rear diff. I was able to pull the excess plastic out but now my pinion seal is leaking. Is this something I can replace without having to replace the crush washer and/or completely rebuild the ring and pinion ?

20220527_091438.jpg
Sponsored

AZRanger

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
I fix Pink jeeps
Out of warranty?
If so: Measure the turning torque with an inch pound torque wrench before disassembly. Then once you’ve replaced your seal, tighten that nut until you achieve that same turning torque. If you go too far you will need to replace the sleeve.

CompDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat Rapid Red
Occupation
PAID GEEK
Dang.. Reminds me of hay wrapping on drive shafts on the farm.. That will be a job the pinion will need to be completely removed to replace the seal. The first time I "used my skid plate" was from highway debris.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Easy fix and plenty of examples on YouTube if you are mechanically inclined.

All you have to do is remove bolts holding driveshaft to pinion flange, remove large nut holding pinion flange on, pull flange, pull seal, replace seal and reassemble. You'll need some loctite for the pinion nut threads. Like others said, if you over tighten it or under tighten it, then you create more work for yourself.

OP
OP
DHMag

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
So, I ended up taking the truck to the dealer. I'm 99% sure I could have done it myself but without the specific tools on hand, it was just cheaper to let the dealer do it. That way, if they muff it up, they can repair it.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
So, I ended up taking the truck to the dealer. I'm 99% sure I could have done it myself but without the specific tools on hand, it was just cheaper to let the dealer do it. That way, if they muff it up, they can repair it.
I would hold that receipt and at least ask my insurance, that fell off somebody's truck and you hit it ... my dad ran over something a few years back and they asked if iwhatever he hit fell off another truck and he said "sure " , they paid for a gas tank that he put a big hole in ... worth a shot...

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I would hold that receipt and at least ask my insurance, that fell off somebody's truck and you hit it ... my dad ran over something a few years back and they asked if iwhatever he hit fell off another truck and he said "sure " , they paid for a gas tank that he put a big hole in ... worth a shot...
Hi NB

I recall a person ran over a box spring mattress and it wrapped itself around the driveshaft, making a terrible sound. Took the shop that "cleaned up" the mess hours of snipping portions of spring steel... Seem nothing else was damaged....

Best,
Phili

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Hi NB

I recall a person ran over a box spring mattress and it wrapped itself around the driveshaft, making a terrible sound. Took the shop that "cleaned up" the mess hours of snipping portions of spring steel... Seem nothing else was damaged....

Best,
Phili
Few years back, I and a few friends were heading down the interstate on the way to get dinner at a pizza place.

Had to make an emergency maneuver to avoid hitting a mattress that was laying in the middle lane a couple miles before the exit we needed.

Half way through dinner, the news was reporting on a massive car fire in the middle of the turnpike lol. Some small car hit it, mattress was wedged underneath, cat lit it on fire.

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
I was driving down 95 just outside of Baltimore few years ago around 10pm. I think we were at a point with 4 lanes each way and I was in the far left. Traffic was very light but a semi with a full sized flat bed trailer was in the right and about 100 yards ahead. We were both moving pretty quick. Would guess about 75mph. All the sudden the trailer just fell off the truck. Still remember being in shock and watching sparks fly from the front support arms as I passed that trailer! Lucky traffic was light and that I was a few lanes over from that truck.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
I do not think he needs a new ring and pinion.
Few years back, I and a few friends were heading down the interstate on the way to get dinner at a pizza place.

Had to make an emergency maneuver to avoid hitting a mattress that was laying in the middle lane a couple miles before the exit we needed.

Half way through dinner, the news was reporting on a massive car fire in the middle of the turnpike lol. Some small car hit it, mattress was wedged underneath, cat lit it on fire.
My neighbors park on mattresses.

20220419_064818.jpg
Sponsored