Question about rear shock replacement

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
I only have 1900 miles on my 20201 XLT Crewcab, but I've made up my mind that when I take it to the Ford garage for it's first oil change (which I'll do around 4000 miles just because that's how I always did my vehicles), I think I will have the rear shocks replaced. I just want to get rid of that jarring feeling when you go over a small break in the paved road, that kerplunk feeling. I read that the new shocks may give a firmer feeling.... so maybe that kerplunk jarring jolt will still be there??
Sponsored

Cjohn8503

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Personal chef
It doesn't matter if it's a FX4 or non FX4. Replacing the shock and struts will make a huge improvement in the ride quality and handling. Ford screwed up the valving ratios for the dampers on the Ranger. They made the rebound damping way too soft. As a result after compressing the suspension rises too rapidly and over extends then compresses again returning to normal ride height and then rebounds again etc. This is what creates the rolling boat/bounce while driving. Aftermarket shocks/struts have muck better rebound valving thus slows the rebound stroke considerably and all but eliminates the boat/bounce experienced with the stock dampers. This is for both the FX and non FX equipped trucks.
Is it possible to have the stock Fx4 shocks adjusted? Instead of having to replace them?

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Is it possible to have the stock Fx4 shocks adjusted? Instead of having to replace them?
The FX shocks are not adjustable but anything is with enough money. Now is it worth spending the money to have them torn down and re-built with different valving? Probably not when OEM replacement after markets are only around $75-100. Also a thing to note is rebuilding the OEM ones would cost you at least $100-150 per provided you can find a place willing to do it.

If you do a lot of off road driving then I'd say look into upgrading to FOX 2.0's, ICON, or any nitrogen charged shock vs oil only like the OEM's are. They will provide a much better ride both on and off road than the FX series do.
Sponsored