First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
I took the black tape in a different direction - applied to the bottom of the camera lense. I will post pics after dark today. I gauged off my trailer hitch, adjusted tape until I could just see it. But the side need it block more, need put a notch in the middle. Not sure why they aimed the camera to show the lic plate and the entire bumper step.
Mike, it shows that far so you can back up and align coupler to ball. Bret
Sponsored

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Mike, it shows that far so you can back up and align coupler to ball. Bret
Understood, but my receiver is pretty far from the lic plate. i guess for those w/o a receiver hitch they can see the ball in the bumper.
I added some black tape across the bottom of my camera, found I needed to scallop out a section around the camera to get the sides high enough to cover the lic plate lights. Its a "duct tape" solution I know but it does eliminate the glare.

black tape across bottom of lens. Align with truck OFF, but ign ON and put gear shift in rev.
1608658626908.png

day time shot of results. For the most part I can see the back edge of my bumper and the recvr hitch.
1608658760432.png

night shot - I think I forgot to wipe! Will try for a better image tonight.
1608658882991.png

Venator68

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Wildtrak
Occupation
Civil service
Searched all over forum to find an answer and really barely found a mention.

What have you folks done to help obscure or whatever, to keep the license plate lights from washing out the camera while backing up at night? Really even more a headache when raining or frosty.

Cannot believe Ford didn’t think about this. Never had is prob with other vehicles I had over the years.

I tried tinting half of the lens, no good.

Thoughts? Much appreciated...

Hi,
I got my first Ranger about a month ago so I'm new to this forum.
I have the same problem. License plate lights are blinding and the reversing camera is useless in pitch dark which is quite annoying when you back up somewhere in the middle of nowhere after sunset (I use my Ranger a.o. for hunting).

So far I've found 2 possible solutions that do not require some makeshift modifications to the layout of the rear fender:

1. Install a license plate holder with integrated LED lights on top of the plate holder, so they will shine down on the plate and not sideways or upwards.
Here is an example that works on european formats of license plates: Rubbolite M647 Rectangular Oblong Number Plate Holder with LED lights
https://www.bowerspartsonline.co.uk/?i=1666436&f=0&p=1&s=&pi=1666436&Quantity=1&basketback=1&
I ordered one of these and will install it and disconnect the current lights in the fender. I guess something like this should exist for US license plate formats as well.

2. There is a company in Germany that sells a relay which switches off the license plate lights when reverse gear is engaged. Not sure if that would not cause a problem in the technical inspection I have to pass every year in my home country of Luxembourg (yes, that exists), because they might say that the plate needs to be illuminated all the time when the vehicle is moving so I opted out of this.
Anyway, here's the link to that product:
https://www.zymexx.de/produkt/ford-ranger-kennzeichenbox-limited-wildtrak/
They even mention on the site that it is not legal to use it in Germany.

Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Mario

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I see this is an old thread, but I just joined. This is sort of a mod, but you could use a relay to turn OFF the license plate lights when the backup lights come on.

May not be as easy as putting a lid on the cam, but it may be a better solution. Disclaimer: I haven't tried it. :)

ADDED: Ha, someone beat me to it.

2. There is a company in Germany that sells a relay which switches off the license plate lights when reverse gear is engaged. Not sure if that would not cause a problem in the technical inspection I have to pass every year in my home country of Luxembourg (yes, that exists), because they might say that the plate needs to be illuminated all the time when the vehicle is moving so I opted out of this.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Hi,
I got my first Ranger about a month ago so I'm new to this forum.
I have the same problem. License plate lights are blinding and the reversing camera is useless in pitch dark which is quite annoying when you back up somewhere in the middle of nowhere after sunset (I use my Ranger a.o. for hunting).

So far I've found 2 possible solutions that do not require some makeshift modifications to the layout of the rear fender:

1. Install a license plate holder with integrated LED lights on top of the plate holder, so they will shine down on the plate and not sideways or upwards.
Here is an example that works on european formats of license plates: Rubbolite M647 Rectangular Oblong Number Plate Holder with LED lights
https://www.bowerspartsonline.co.uk/?i=1666436&f=0&p=1&s=&pi=1666436&Quantity=1&basketback=1&
I ordered one of these and will install it and disconnect the current lights in the fender. I guess something like this should exist for US license plate formats as well.

Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Mario
When you install that frame make sure the tailgate isn't hitting it when opened.

Not sure about the European trucks but on ours here there is very little clearance between the license plate and open tailgate.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase

Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Mario
Interesting idea on the relay!
I may have found my next mod project!
Wish the German box had English instructions
Used a translator and its not much better in English! But I get the Gist of it. Cut the lic plate power wire, an tap into the reverse line. and a ground. Nicest part is it is sealed I guess. Other wise can be easily done with a relay.
Would look like this.
1618952227903.png

Does require one to cut the harness wire going to the Lic Plt Lights, I hate cutting harness wires!
But I think I will try this, I found a relay with a water tight connector in my junk drawer....

Update - this could be done either at the rear, maybe tucked up in the taillight area OR
totally inside by the BCM. After looking under the bumper, its not a place to be cutting wires IMHO. I will look at doing this at the BCM. I already have a rev light tap for my cargo lights mod, so I would only have to cut the insert a relay into the Lic Plt Light power line coming out of the BCM.

Ok now I really need to get back to my real job!

Last edited:

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase

Venator68

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Wildtrak
Occupation
Civil service
I solved the problem by installing a license plate holder with integrated LED lights, the Rubbolite M647 Rectangular Oblong Number Plate Holder With LED Lights and by removing the bulbs from the original license plate lights.
See before/after pictures.

E0307CBB-9A61-4300-942E-965D4EFBB8A2.jpeg

51CFAE74-FFC8-4A03-B7A3-5B7D3C5319F5.jpeg

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I solved the problem by installing a license plate holder with integrated LED lights, the Rubbolite M647 Rectangular Oblong Number Plate Holder With LED Lights and by removing the bulbs from the original license plate lights.
See before/after pictures.

E0307CBB-9A61-4300-942E-965D4EFBB8A2.jpeg

51CFAE74-FFC8-4A03-B7A3-5B7D3C5319F5.jpeg
That you can see the license plate light bezels on camera indicates to me a need to change this design.

MassRanger

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Maintenance mechanic
I made this issue much less of an issue... I removed the light housings and installed a phone privacy screen protector over the lens. It seems to have helped allot. We will see how long it lasts

Jsmitty0024

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Environmental consultant
I think I may try like the VHT nightshade on the lic. Lenses.... I'm cheap and old
Sponsored