Ranger sales overtaking Tacoma in Canada

Deleted member 1634

I cant argue with that but the Ranger has been out a while and Taco sales were still growing and to just plunge 17 percent from the same time last year. That is not even quarter to quarter drop. I mean the Gladiator and Ranger are selling so that would be sales that could have been Taco or Colorado sales but the segment has been growing so they were all still selling more.. The twins sales were terrible too. Ranger had no where to go but up really..
Was there a big drop in the mid-sized market sales in Sept. I know the quarter total sales are out there somewhere and it would be interesting to see if mid-sized sales dropped for the quarter or at least Sept.

If there is a drop why? Is it pricing? I know when I went to test drive the Ranger he said they were not selling many and he tried to steer me too a F150. He said for less money I can get you into a F150 with about the same gas mileage and more options. If dealers are starting to do that stuff.
I really do not know what happened it is pure speculation.
Might be the whole end of the year thing where people want to get the next years model instead of last years. I know we have that problem in the general aviation industry where our sales noticeably drop at the end of the year because customers want next years "new and fancy" thing and not this years "old" thing. I know there are a few changes for the Taco coming next year, so maybe people are waiting to buy that one instead. But like you, it's all just speculation. I'm sure there's an exhaustive study out there that explains all of this though. haha
Sponsored

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Might be the whole end of the year thing where people want to get the next years model instead of last years. I know we have that problem in the general aviation industry where our sales noticeably drop at the end of the year because customers want next years "new and fancy" thing and not this years "old" thing. I know there are a few changes for the Taco coming next year, so maybe people are waiting to buy that one instead. But like you, it's all just speculation. I'm sure there's an exhaustive study out there that explains all of this though. haha

Yea could be, the 2020 Taco does not have many changes but I think the few are pretty significant.
They address android auto and carplay issue of not having them. They now have the same thing as My Chevy and FordPass connectivity.
They also added power seats and allow you to raise it...
For Toyota that is pretty big move.
I know some people in this thread think Toyota will make big changes but I doubt it. Toyota and Honda both sell based on reliability and that does not come from making big changes. If it works do not fix it. Probably get a better transmission eventually.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll be honest, if Toyota would just update the drivetrain in the current Taco, it would regain its sales dominance. That engine/tranny is just dated.
and something like Sync3.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2020 Escape AWD Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I am still surprised at how many people see my Ranger and did not know that they have come back to the market here. It still is a new release and will continue to increase in sales as more of them are seen in public.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
To those ripping on the Taco.
Again I do not get why people have to rip on the tacos just because you own something else. Who cares what someone else owns let them enjoy their truck.
Take a look at pro sports... I do not get why people even watch grown men playing children's games, but they do!
And every team has fans who root for teams who are comprised of players who are not even from the team's city, often not even from the country. Those fans often tie their happiness or self esteem to that team's success... GO CHEESEHEADS!!

At least a truck is a useful device with clear differences from make to make.
Brand loyalty has been extant and intense for many generations, without which we would not have such things as NASCAR,SCCA or NHRA.

I had a friend with a Harley-Davidson tattoo conflate his Tattoo with my Ford hat...
I told him... "My Ford hat comes right off if I get tired of it";)

Last edited:

RCNGunnr

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Fx4 Sport Appearance, Hot Pepper Red
Occupation
Naval Warfare Officer
Again I do not get why people have to rip on the tacos just because you own something else. Who cares what someone else owns let them enjoy their truck.
I mean if the comments in this thread are ripping on the taco... we need to up our game. being outdated or being too small for the vertically affluent aren't really rips vice observations that very much influence sales for the tacoma.

I have noted that at my work there is a very clear delineation between 2018/2019 midsize owners. those over 5'10" have rangers, those under have tacos, and maybe one person has a Colorado because gmc chev is not well liked after shutting down the factories in ontario...

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I don't rip it because I own something else I rip it because it was the biggest POS I've ever owned! Honestly I hated that truck from the beginning and all the problems I had with it and the way Toyota Corporate handled them turned me off from them forever. Now if we're talking the Gen 1 or Gen 2 Tacoma I think those were great but the Gen 3's are junk! Honestly if Ford ever did away with the Ranger again I would drive a Chevy before ever buying another Tacoma. :lipssealed:

It's funny to hear people say the engine and transmission are dated because 2016 was the first year the had this paired together lol. Just go over to Tacoma World and they're are many who are still complaining about their brand new trucks. Of course the homers there bash anyone who disagrees with them. I love the competition in the mid size truck market and I believe it makes all manufacturers step up their game.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I am still surprised at how many people see my Ranger and did not know that they have come back to the market here. It still is a new release and will continue to increase in sales as more of them are seen in public.
Me too. Nearly every dealer has them or had them out front so I guess some people just aren’t too observant!

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Take a look at pro sports... I do not get why people even watch grown men playing children's games, but they do!
And every team has fans who root for teams who are comprised of players who are not even from the team's city, often not even from the country. Those fans often tie their happiness or self esteem to that team's success... GO CHEESEHEADS!!

At least a truck is a useful device with clear differences from make to make.
Brand loyalty has been extant and intense for many generations, without which we would not have such things as NASCAR,SCCA or NHRA.

I had a friend with a Harley-Davidson tattoo conflate his Tattoo with my Ford hat...
I told him... "My Ford hat comes right off if I get tired of it";)
By the way this is not just too the post above.
There is nothing wrong with brand loyalty. If a company takes care of me I am loyal.
Sports is different because most do not have a financial investment but I do get your point.
This forum actually has less of it than most truck forums and I am on allot. Some other forums are just hard to even read.
There is nothing wrong with saying the Taco has less head room or pointing out something someone does not like about one truck or another but that is not the posts I am talking about. I have mentioned a few times some of the issues I have with the taco.
But I just do not get fanboyism to the point where someone wants to make someone feel bad about their purchase. Who cares what someone owns let them be happy with their purchase. To me it is just someone who feels threatened or trying to justify their purchase.

People have different tastes and needs. I think is great..

I am on some gaming forums because I like to play video games. I am a gamer and I like all systems because they are different. The hole PS4 is better than Xbox stuff makes no sense to me. You like your system great go have fun with it. Why are you here constantly bashing the ps4 or vise versa..

I have allot of friends with different trucks than me and I would never try making them feel bad about their purchase just because I own something different.

I like trucks in general and they are all different and none are perfect or we all own the same truck.

The Taco didn't get where it is by being bad.

Like I said this forum seems to have less of it than some of the others I use.

Anyhow i am done with this topic and I am sorry for derailing this thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidR

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Well this thread did start out as a comparison of sales, so comparisons of some sort are not too far off topic. There's been some relatively tame comparison of pros and cons, but I don't think it's risen to the level of bashing in most cases. There will obviously be some amount of preference for Rangers in a Ranger forum as there would be for Tacomas in a Tacoma forum ;)

No doubt the entrance of players like the Ranger and the Gladiator are going to shift sales numbers a bit - that's the whole point, more competition! Overall, the market segment will probably keep growing (with occasional down years due to the economy, etc.) and the end result is that folks will have more choices.

DBRanger

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4X4 2007 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
I have nothing against Tacoma, other than I think they are ugly, so I didn't even drive one. I hate the front end and rear bumper design, Just looks weird to me. If not the Ranger I would have bought a Colorado. They are about as nice looking as Ranger IMO. But the Ranger powertrain slays it. Had a Dakota before but since they are not making them any more it limited the choices for small trucks.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I have nothing against Tacoma, other than I think they are ugly, so I didn't even drive one. I hate the front end and rear bumper design, Just looks weird to me. If not the Ranger I would have bought a Colorado. They are about as nice looking as Ranger IMO. But the Ranger powertrain slays it. Had a Dakota before but since they are not making them any more it limited the choices for small trucks.

Dakota is supposed to be coming but not for a while yet..
They will probably sell well too...

OP
OP
DavidR

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Dakota is supposed to be coming but not for a while yet..
They will probably sell well too...
I'm glad Dodge is finally redesigning their truck bodies in a big way. From day one, I just could never get into that fake big-rig look they've had for decades that ended up looking like a squashed wanna-be, and is now extremely dated to boot. The new ones look pretty cool and modern, hopefully a new Dakota will inherit that.

Last edited:

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
By the way this is not just too the post above.
There is nothing wrong with brand loyalty. If a company takes care of me I am loyal.
Sports is different because most do not have a financial investment but I do get your point.
This forum actually has less of it than most truck forums and I am on allot. Some other forums are just hard to even read.
There is nothing wrong with saying the Taco has less head room or pointing out something someone does not like about one truck or another but that is not the posts I am talking about. I have mentioned a few times some of the issues I have with the taco.
But I just do not get fanboyism to the point where someone wants to make someone feel bad about their purchase. Who cares what someone owns let them be happy with their purchase. To me it is just someone who feels threatened or trying to justify their purchase.

People have different tastes and needs. I think is great..

I am on some gaming forums because I like to play video games. I am a gamer and I like all systems because they are different. The hole PS4 is better than Xbox stuff makes no sense to me. You like your system great go have fun with it. Why are you here constantly bashing the ps4 or vise versa..

I have allot of friends with different trucks than me and I would never try making them feel bad about their purchase just because I own something different.

I like trucks in general and they are all different and none are perfect or we all own the same truck.

The Taco didn't get where it is by being bad.

Like I said this forum seems to have less of it than some of the others I use.

Well said. There is good and bad with every make and every vehicle, and one persons interests and what they like/want can be completely different from the next.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I'm really glad Dodge is finally redesigning their truck bodies in a big way. From day one, I just could never get into that fake big-rig look they've had for decades that ended up looking like a squashed wanna-be, and is now extremely dated to boot. The new ones look pretty cool and modern, hopefully a new Dakota will inherit that.

Not sure if this a mock up, concept, teaser, but I have seen this picture a few places now:
If so it looks nice from the side but back door looks small in the picture.

https://www.caranddriver.com/ram/dakota
Sponsored

Last edited: