First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Not sure if this a mock up, concept, teaser, but I have seen this picture a few places now:
If so it looks nice from the side but back door looks small in the picture.

https://www.caranddriver.com/ram/dakota
It does bear some resemblance to the newer Ram 1500's, so it could be real. Over the years, I've seen a handful of trucks that are shorter than a full-sized Crewcab, but still have a small normal door instead of a suicide door like the Ranger Supercab. I'm pretty sure I've seen that on some Ram 1500's, so it's possible that's what they're doing.

If they do hit the market with something like that, it will provide even more competition. Sounds like they're going with a large V6, which will be interesting if Toyota moves to small-displacement turbos around that time as rumored.
Sponsored

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
It does bear some resemblance to the newer Ram 1500's, so it could be real. Over the years, I've seen a handful of trucks that are shorter than a full-sized Crewcab, but still have a small normal door instead of a suicide door like the Ranger Supercab. I'm pretty sure I've seen that on some Ram 1500's, so it's possible that's what they're doing.

If they do hit the market with something like that, it will provide even more competition. Sounds like they're going with a large V6, which will be interesting if Toyota moves to small-displacement turbos around that time as rumored.
I wouldn’t be surprised if they go with a large V6, Dodge always went with bigger engine options for the most part with their old Dakotas... 4.7, 5.2 and 5.9s available over the years.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I mean, it doesnt suprise me much. When I looked at mid size trucks, the tacoma had less headroom then my old ranger. When the saleslady at the dealership tells you that the solution to no headroom is to upgrade to the moon roof and open it... Saying that, the ranger continues to be increasingly common on the mean streets of Halifax.
Who pays 30k plus fos a vehicle with drum freaking brakes???????

No excuse for that

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Who pays 30k plus fos a vehicle with drum freaking brakes???????

No excuse for that
Tacoma fan boys thats who. If you go ever to Tacoma World they'll brag about it saying they'd rather the drums for off roading as they're less prone to damage than disc. True if you're doing serious off roading all the time but how many buy these trucks for just that?

OP
OP
DavidR

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Tacoma fan boys thats who. If you go ever to Tacoma World they'll brag about it saying they'd rather the drums for off roading as they're less prone to damage than disc. True if you're doing serious off roading all the time but how many buy these trucks for just that?
I didn't realize the Tacoma has drum brakes! I hope it's just the rear brakes, which would still leave the front discs susceptible to damage. But yeah, you'd probably need to be almost 100% off-road to see a problem. Our '93 Ranger has rear drums, and it's much more of a hassle to change the shoes than the front disc pads. I'm looking forward to much easier brake maintenance on the new one.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The Dakota will draw big interest due to the success of the Ram. A 3.6L 6 cyl will be more desirable by many over a 4 cyl.

OP
OP
DavidR

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
The Dakota will draw big interest due to the success of the Ram. A 3.6L 6 cyl will be more desirable by many over a 4 cyl.
Also, the success they've had with their diesel trucks makes me wonder if there will be a diesel option, which isn't very common yet in the mid-size segment (the Colorado is the only one, right?).

The CAFE rules will eventually catch up with all of them, but some will probably go all-electric or hybrid instead of small-displacement turbo.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Also, the success they've had with their diesel trucks makes me wonder if there will be a diesel option, which isn't very common yet in the mid-size segment (the Colorado is the only one, right?).

The CAFE rules will eventually catch up with all of them, but some will probably go all-electric or hybrid instead of small-displacement turbo.
I'd like to see President Trump lighten up the CAFE requirements.

OP
OP
DavidR

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I'd like to see President Trump lighten up the CAFE requirements.
They've tried to, but CA and the 11 or so states that follow CA will probably fight back. The problem is that the automakers don't want a throwback to the '70s where they have to manufacture two lines - one for the CA-following states and one for everyone else, so they've been bypassing the Trump administration and cutting deals with CA for some lightening of the rules but not as much as the Trump administration wants. Lawsuits between CA and the feds could take a decade to resolve and the automakers would rather have a middle-ground set of CAFE rules than a decade of uncertainty.

EDIT: It's also complicated because, from some articles I've read, the automakers are also seeing demand from the public for better fuel economy, not just from Washington or California, especially with rising fuel costs. So they're balancing public demand and public perception as well as worrying about uncertainty due to CA fighting the feds. Supposedly, that's another reason they want to cut a deal with CA rather than have a massive rollback of CAFE rules. Basically, the public wants everything - large vehicles AND good fuel economy.

Last edited:

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
CA doesn't need any more cars/trucks.

OP
OP
DavidR

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
CA doesn't need any more cars/trucks.
You can say that again! But the people keep coming anyway and bringing their cars with them. We're definitely contemplating leaving after retiring.
Sponsored