First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
The difference is pretty striking for Q3.

Maybe the trend will eventually extend south of the border??

Truck Sales in Canada: Ram Makes Big Gains While Other Truck Makers Lose Ground, Ranger Overtakes Tacoma in Q3 2019

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/10/tr...se-ground-ranger-overtakes-tacoma-in-q3-2019/

Ford Ranger overtake Toyota Tacoma in a big way.

Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 4.10.00 PM.png

At the Ram brand, 75,324 trucks have been sold so far this year, marking an 11 percent increase year-over-year to this point. GM managed to outsell Ram when you add Silverado and Sierra sales together, although both are slightly down.

The Silverado has sold 41,643 times in Canada, while 41,976 units of the GMC Sierra have moved, a drop in year-to-date sales of 6.9 percent and 6.6 percent respectively.

Ford continues to lead Canadian truck sales, with 117,042 F-Series trucks sold year-to-date. Ford does not publish its percentage of change for individual vehicles, though the brand does say that year-to-date it is up by a small margin of 0.18%.

At Toyota, the Tundra is down by 12.1 percent, moving 7777 units so far this year. Nissan is also seeing its half-ton slump, with 2,280 Titans sold this year, a drop of 40 percent compared to 2018.

Looking at midsize pickups, the Ranger has moved 4,750 units so far this year, marking the strongest quarter of sales since the truck hit Canadian markets.

Things at GM are down as well, though the Colorado still outsold the Ranger, moving 6,795 units so far this year, a drop of 9.6 percent compared to this time last year. The GMC Canyon took a 24.8 percent hit compared to this time last year, with sales sitting at 3,902 units in 2019.

Over at Jeep, the Gladiator has managed to sell 1,180 times.

The Toyota Tacoma still owns the segment with 9452 sales thus far in 2019, though that is a drop of 11.7 percent compared to 2018.

Finally, the Nissan Frontier remains pretty steady, selling 3,024 units so far in 2019, representing a modest 1.5 percent drop.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang

Deleted member 1634

The Ranger has a lot further to go down here in the States, so I'm not sure it'll surpass the Taco, at least not the 5g. But I'm thinking it'll definitely take a huge chunk out and maybe get to a statistical equal footing. I mean, just look at the amount of people on here who either traded in their Taco, or directly chose a Ranger instead of one. Then the 6g can come in and "finish him", if the Taco doesn't make any major changes until then. Which to be honest, I don't know if they will. They certainly should, but I get the feeling that Toyota is still confident they have the better vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:

RCNGunnr

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Fx4 Sport Appearance, Hot Pepper Red
Occupation
Naval Warfare Officer
I mean, it doesnt suprise me much. When I looked at mid size trucks, the tacoma had less headroom then my old ranger. When the saleslady at the dealership tells you that the solution to no headroom is to upgrade to the moon roof and open it... Saying that, the ranger continues to be increasingly common on the mean streets of Halifax.

OP
OP
DavidR

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I mean, it doesnt suprise me much. When I looked at mid size trucks, the tacoma had less headroom then my old ranger. When the saleslady at the dealership tells you that the solution to no headroom is to upgrade to the moon roof and open it... Saying that, the ranger continues to be increasingly common on the mean streets of Halifax.
:LOL: That's a good one about the sunroof! Funny thing is that it's been that way for a while. When we bought our '93 Ranger back at the end of '92, one of the selling points was that an average size person could comfortably wear a cowboy hat inside ;)

OP
OP
DavidR

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
The Ranger has a lot further to go down here in the States, so I'm not sure it'll surpass the Taco, at least not the 5g. But I'm thinking it'll definitely take a huge chunk out and maybe get to a statistical equal footing. I mean, just look at the amount of people on here who either traded in their Taco, or directly chose a Ranger instead of one. Then the 6g can come in and "finish him", if the Taco doesn't make any major changes until then. Which to be honest, I don't know if they will. They certainly should, but I get the feeling that Toyota is still confident they have the better vehicle.
Yeah, Toyota is not going to stand still (hopefully). The competition will be good for everyone, especially the buyers. The talk seems to be that the Tacoma might have a major update in two or three years time, so that should give Ford the ability to stay ahead of the curve if they want to fully catch up in sales

It will be interesting to see what Toyota does with engine choices to match the higher degree of driveline refinement in the Ranger. There are some rumors in other threads about 4-cyl. turbos and such ;)

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4

I do not think Ford has the manufacturing capacity to do that yet.
Also Toyota is opening a new Taco manufacturing plant in Mexico and expanding their Texas plant.
Market is going to flooded with them.

I think one reason you see less Tacos north and know it is around here is winter is hard on the frames. Taco has frame rot and does not do well with salt. I had a friend warn me about it when I said It was one of my options.does Canada use salt on the roads in winter?

To those ripping on the Taco.
Again I do not get why people have to rip on the tacos just because you own something else. Who cares what someone else owns let them enjoy their truck.

Last edited:

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Toyota now will go all out in their new gen Tacoma in 2 years or so. Love competition because that makes it great for the consumer.

Deleted member 1634

I do not think Ford has the manufacturing capacity to do that yet.
Also Toyota is opening a new Taco manufacturing plant in Mexico and expanding their Texas plant.
Market is going to flooded with them.

I think one reason you see less Tacos north and know it is around here is winter is hard on the frames. Taco has frame rot and does not do well with salt. I had a friend warn me about it when I said It was one of my options.does Canada use salt on the roads in winter?

To those ripping on the Taco.
Again I do not get why people have to rip on the tacos just because you own something else. Who cares what someone else owns let them enjoy their truck.
True, Ford certainly doesn't have the manufacturing capability to beat Toyota. But you can produce 30x more of a product, doesn't mean people are going to buy it or want it. Not saying that's the case in this instance, the Taco is still a very desirable vehicle and does beat the Ranger (and all other competition) is some regards, but that doesn't necessarily translate into sales numbers at a 1:1 ratio all the time.

I don't know if you're directing the "ripping on the Taco" comment to me, or to the thread/forum in general, but I am definitely still a fan of the Taco. It's got that certain thing going on that I can't explain, but enjoy. I'll be excited if my brother ever pulls the trigger and gets one, then we can swap every once in a while and I can get the best of both worlds. haha

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
True, Ford certainly doesn't have the manufacturing capability to beat Toyota. But you can produce 30x more of a product, doesn't mean people are going to buy it or want it. Not saying that's the case in this instance, the Taco is still a very desirable vehicle and does beat the Ranger (and all other competition) is some regards, but that doesn't necessarily translate into sales numbers at a 1:1 ratio all the time.

I don't know if you're directing the "ripping on the Taco" comment to me, or to the thread/forum in general, but I am definitely still a fan of the Taco. It's got that certain thing going on that I can't explain, but enjoy. I'll be excited if my brother ever pulls the trigger and gets one, then we can swap every once in a while and I can get the best of both worlds. haha
True you can produce as many as you want it does not mean someone is going to buy them.
I just see the retail value on the Tacos and the fact dealer do not negotiate much on them even around here.
To me that means demand is higher than supply.
Now they increase supply there may be they have to drop the price to get those sold.
Toyota will not take this sitting down and I predict a price war.
Also in the US Taco sales fell in Sept hard even though they were up for the quarter.
I have no idea why.
https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/10/ba...gladiator-are-gaining-ground-q3-sales-report/

Walkeraviator

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Crew
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll be honest, if Toyota would just update the drivetrain in the current Taco, it would regain its sales dominance. That engine/tranny is just dated.

Deleted member 1634

True you can produce as many as you want it does not mean someone is going to buy them.
I just see the retail value on the Tacos and the fact dealer do not negotiate much on them even around here.
To me that means demand is higher than supply.
Now they increase supply there may be they have to drop the price to get those sold.
Toyota will not take this sitting down and I predict a price war.
Also in the US Taco sales fell in Sept hard even though they were up for the quarter.
I have no idea why.
https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/10/ba...gladiator-are-gaining-ground-q3-sales-report/
You're right. There's obviously a demand for more Taco's. Not sure if it's still as high was it was before. When my brother and I went in about a year ago to look at them, they were definitely hand-to-mouth with Taco's (no pun intended). I don't know if it's quite as high still with the Ranger and Gladiator out.

I was more making a comment on the mix-up of cause and effect. They won't necessarily sell more if they make more, but they are making more because they're selling more.

I agree on an impending price war. Not sure if that's necessarily a good thing. Vehicles cost what they cost and I don't know how much of a profit margin there is on mid-size trucks.

I think the drop might be because the Ranger is taking away some sales for comfort and powertrain reasons, and Gladiator is taking some for off-road capability reasons, which the Taco was always the leader in. We'll see how next year goes when nobody has anything new (really).

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
You're right. There's obviously a demand for more Taco's. Not sure if it's still as high was it was before. When my brother and I went in about a year ago to look at them, they were definitely hand-to-mouth with Taco's (no pun intended). I don't know if it's quite as high still with the Ranger and Gladiator out.

I was more making a comment on the mix-up of cause and effect. They won't necessarily sell more if they make more, but they are making more because they're selling more.

I agree on an impending price war. Not sure if that's necessarily a good thing. Vehicles cost what they cost and I don't know how much of a profit margin there is on mid-size trucks.

I think the drop might be because the Ranger is taking away some sales for comfort and powertrain reasons, and Gladiator is taking some for off-road capability reasons, which the Taco was always the leader in. We'll see how next year goes when nobody has anything new (really).

I cant argue with that but the Ranger has been out a while and Taco sales were still growing and to just plunge 17 percent from the same time last year. That is not even quarter to quarter drop. I mean the Gladiator and Ranger are selling so that would be sales that could have been Taco or Colorado sales but the segment has been growing so they were all still selling more.. The twins sales were terrible too. Ranger had no where to go but up really..
Was there a big drop in the mid-sized market sales in Sept. I know the quarter total sales are out there somewhere and it would be interesting to see if mid-sized sales dropped for the quarter or at least Sept.

If there is a drop why? Is it pricing? I know when I went to test drive the Ranger he said they were not selling many and he tried to steer me too a F150. He said for less money I can get you into a F150 with about the same gas mileage and more options. If dealers are starting to do that stuff.
I really do not know what happened it is pure speculation.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Actually right here:
Q2 sales 154,371
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/09/gmc-canyon-sales-numbers-figures-results-second-quarter-q2-2019/

Q3 sales 162,557
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/10...umbers-figures-results-third-quarter-q3-2019/

So basically there was a rise in Mid-sized truck sales this quarter.
But I wonder if the quarter was up and sept was bad. Because the Taco was still up for the quarter because that sales decline was just stated for the month of Sept. Not all truck manufactures report monthly.
That was just to much of a drop.. I wonder if that was because of the 2020 Taco. Next quarter will be interesting.
Sponsored