Ranger Q2 2020 Sales Grabs Firm Hold of 2nd Place in Midsize Segment

Deleted member 1634

I do not understand how the Colorado has been doing so well.
I rented one for a cross country drive and it was inferior to my Ranger in every way. I'm glad that the sales numbers are matching up to my impressions.
And it doesn't bother me that the taco is listed in first place without final numbers, it's a good truck too.
I have a feeling the GM twins are surviving on lifetime/repeat GM owners at this point. Especially with so many better options out there now. Short of the Bison, there's nothing special about them at all. They don't stand out in any way, they're bland and boring, and not "best" at anything.
If you want an off-road forward truck you go with the Glad or Taco.
If you want something simple and basic you go with the Frontier.
If you want a more car feeling truck you go with the Ridgeline.
And if you want a good all around truck that does all of those pretty well, you go with the Ranger.
Sponsored

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I just did a 1200 mile trip in the Ranger I purchased in May and totally impressed with the vehicle's performance on and off road, fuel economy was very good and took it on a very demanding 4wd route in S Colorado - Elwood Pass, not for those afraid of heights, steep, rutted, rocky and tilted road and the Ranger did well, wife didn't as she was pleading with me to turn around.

https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/6715-elwood-pass.html

Saw maybe 6 gladiators but a whole lot of Tacomas as they have been the mid size truck of choice for many many yrs.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I'd be interested to see how many of those came from a Wrangler. Are they just taking their own sales for the most part in the end?
Anecdotally, every one in my neighborhood replaced an older Wrangler.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
8,794 people in Q2 made a BIG MISTAKE

?
I couldn't disagree more. I had a 2009 Frontier and it was an amazing truck. Not sure how the new engine/transmission combo are doing, but other than being 100 years old, they are a solid truck!!

runner69

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Transit bus mechanic, former Ford master tech
Vehicle Showcase
I have a feeling the GM twins are surviving on lifetime/repeat GM owners at this point. Especially with so many better options out there now. Short of the Bison, there's nothing special about them at all. They don't stand out in any way, they're bland and boring, and not "best" at anything.
And if you want a good all around truck that does all of those pretty well, you go with the Ranger.
truth is it doesn't take much, Fox upgrade and better tires, the Ranger will be every bit as good off road as the Taco

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
I couldn't disagree more. I had a 2009 Frontier and it was an amazing truck. Not sure how the new engine/transmission combo are doing, but other than being 100 years old, they are a solid truck!!
Fair enough - but it ain't 2009 anymore, chief.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
This is about where I expected this generation of the ranger to settle out--I think the ranger and the GM twins combined will fight it out for 2nd place until the update, then it'll be Ford's chance to either run away with the segment or screw the pooch like they did on the explorer update. :D

I think not acknowledging that the tacoma will stay the segment leader at least until the next gen ranger is as silly as saying the ranger was a failure because of its Q1 numbers last year (before they ramped up production).

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
The Colorado was my runner-up when I bought my Ranger. The V6 seemed plenty capable, and I was impressed with the transmission given some of the stories I'd heard about it (although the 4-cyl engine with its 6-speed tranny sucked). Ride was more "solid" feeling than the Ranger. I'm not someone who worries too much about style. And I could have paired a crew cab with a 6-ft box. Honestly, while the Ranger edged out the Colorado in almost every category, I probably would have been perfectly happy with the Colorado.

I don't think it's just the lifetime GM owners buying it. It's a solid little truck, and I could easily see someone with different preferences than myself subjectively preferring it. Add in the anxiety that some people have over buying a 1st year model (yes, I know that the various components of the Ranger are tried and true, but that's not enough for everyone to be comfortable with it), and I think there's a compelling argument for some people to choose it over the Ranger beyond just a pro-GM bias.

Ranger Roger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Fit, 2004 Honda ST1300abs, 2018 Honda HR-V
I'm not a Jeep guy either, but I am not that surprised to see the Gladiator put up such good and rising numbers. It is hardly a scientific survey, but driving around northern Delaware, I see several Gladiators every time I take my Ranger out, but we hardly ever meet another Ranger--and when we do, it's usually the same guy, who must live around here!
Lots of Rangers down in Sussex county. 1 Gladiator so far.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of Rangers down in Sussex county. 1 Gladiator so far.
Hi Roger,

I saw my first Gladiator today in Green Valley! :puke::puke::puke:
For those that like the WWII Jeep look...good luck! Guy tried to turn the Gladiator in the turn lane in front of me and could make the turn within the lane stripes. Must have a terrible turn radius or this guy was distracted... Anyway....Yuk on looks IMO....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Add in the anxiety that some people have over buying a 1st year model
The Ranger is almost 2 model years old now, so the "first model year" argument is pretty much gone at this point. I'm not sure when the 2021 is going to start production, but I'm guessing 2020 MY production will cease soon.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
traded my POS frontier for a ranger this year 2Q. proud and happy to say I'm part of these statistics.... and if you want an anti-nissan rant... never again will i ever think about buying a nissan. check engine light was on all the time, rust ate it quicker than any car i've ever owned- that incluides hondas, toyotas and american- bed fell off, replaced gas tank once, fuel sender unit 3 times in 8 months, never got anywhere close to EPA estimated MPG- 16mpg is the best it ever did. 16!!!! with a 6 cylinder in a truck that weighed 3400 pounds before the rust ate up half of it. the truck was the slowest car i have ever driven. worse than tacomas.... never buying another nissan horrible cars. pfffft solid truck with only 1100 pounds payload. the only reason i bought was to save up money to put down on a nicer truck and ended up costing me. sorry for the rant but the frontier deserves to be lower on the list
Sponsored