Ranger Mileage Overstated?

HighFivenWhiteGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
The EPA needs to beat it. I wish trump would just abolish them along with the IRS. EPA in most cases is its own worse enemy. Without all these rediculous CAFE Standards and Emissions Requirements vehicles would be getting 30-40% better fuel mileage and still be fairly clean. EPA would rather increase fuel consumption by 40% to reduce emissions 15-20% which is a complete offset if your burning an absorbant amount of fuel to reduce emissions. Some of the cleanest burning vehicles on this earth are race cars at wide open throttle. EPA is slowly ruining gasoline vehicles as they have already destroyed the diesel pickup market with ridiculous emissions requirements, horrendous fuel economy, and their best accomplishment to date is making the Diesel engine completely unreliable.
I don't think you fully understand the chemistry behind emissions, or the effects of those emissions on both the environment and human health. And before you start denying climate change take a look at what the military is doing, particularly the Coast Guard and Navy. Climate change is officially acknowledged and studied by the military because failure to do so will severely impair U.S. coastal defense facilities and infrastructure. Look up PM 2.5 while you're at it, then ask yourself why burning diesel without any filters or scrubbers might be a bad idea. Also, the EPA is attempting to enforce higher fuel economy and the Trump administration is trying to BLOCK it, so what you are saying is flat out wrong. Higher fuel economy means less diesel and gasoline being purchased, which means less profit for companies who produce those products. Notice anything about who supports most fights against the EPA? A good rule of thumb is to follow the money, and in this case the trail is very clear.

Another good example are the miners who swear the EPA is the worst thing ever and that government regulation is bad. Then they act shocked when they are dying of black lung disease and silicosis and find out the mining company has known about about the dangers for a hundred years and fought regulation to save money. Again, follow the money.

Back on topic I am getting roughly 21 MPG. That's not too bad considering the EPA combined is 22 and over half of my driving is stop and go.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Focus ST 2018 F150 Lariat
And before you start denying climate change take a look at what the military is doing, particularly the Coast Guard and Navy.
I, for one, welcome global warming, climate change, or whatever people are calling "the weather" nowadays. Otherwise, living in Michigan, I'd be under 2 miles of an ice glacier. Now I get lakes! Thank goodness the dinosaurs started driving gas guzzlers!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I, for one, welcome global warming, climate change, or whatever people are calling "the weather" nowadays. Otherwise, living in Michigan, I'd be under 2 miles of an ice glacier. Now I get lakes! Thank goodness the dinosaurs started driving gas guzzlers!

Day of #OceanFrontDetroit when? Can't wait!

OP
OP
uthunter

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
Has anybody heard any news on this?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
There was a lot of speculation that the milage would be restated but no actual facts. People have noticed that the smog rating on the stickers changed, and that might be it.

SRAces

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GLA, 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Special Edition
Occupation
USAF (retired)
Vehicle Showcase
My last several new Fords have all met or exceeded EPA mileage.
This one will too when driven responsibly.
Trouble is we don't always drive responsibly, now do we?:giggle:
Agree 100% I have almost 1,500 miles on my FX4 and am consistantly beating the 20 city/24 Hwy EPA numbers. Love my fuel economy burning 87 octane. :wink:

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
MPG Emissions thoughts
Catch-22
Having the best gas mileage on a gas engine produces the worst emissions and the opposite is true - having the best emissions on a gas engine reduces the MPG. So if everyone, on this forum, is getting near the specs on MPG - the vehicle could fail emissions! To fix it, a drop in MPG is needed to meet emissions for the EPA. I hope this will not be the case.
One tiny glance at the AMAZING fuel management technology used today would prove beyond any doubt that your statement above is simply false.
I have owned 2.3L Ford engines of every iteration since the 1970's
With and without a distributor,, with a Carburetor, throttle body, mutipoint fuel injected ,turbocharged, pushrod , SOHC, DOHC 4plug, 8plug etc.
NONE of them came close to matching the emission standards now met by this Ecoboost 2.3L engine. None could match the power output or fuel efficiency (power/fuel ratio) either.
This is the cleanest most powerful and most efficient of the lot.... and each was the best in its time.

Last edited:

Lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe/Tundra/Fusion
Since it doesn't distinguish between NA and global rangers (with entirely different--diesel--engines) the comparison in fuelly is pretty useless.
Fuelly allows you to filter for engine. The global rangers are diesel.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I’m lucky if I can get a consistent MPG ?
Wow reviving a 2 and a half year old thread. Nearing a record. :clap:

RedlyrsRevenge

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Carbonized Gray SuperCab STX FX4
Occupation
MH/FE Parts Salesman

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I never get the advertised mpg but it’s very hilly where I live.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc