gkostolny

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 2022 Ducati DesertX
Hey Folks,

I recently took a road trip that involved significant time off road, both on slow 4x4 tracks crawling along, and on high speed unpaved roads doing 45-55mph. On my return home I found that after the period of high speed dirt running on the return trip there was a *lot* of dust intrusion into the bed of the truck (see pic). On other threads I've seen folks putting carpet and other dust-sensitive items in the bed of the truck, and I have a Backflip MX4 that is pretty good about keeping things in from the top, but if I'm going to get this much dust from just driving dirt roads I am going to need to rethink how I seal up some things like my Ecoflow power station.

IMG_2796.jpg

Has anyone come up with solutions to prevent dust intrusion in dusty areas like the desert? The only place it seems like it could be coming from is the crack at the hinge of the tailgate.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Folks,

I recently took a road trip that involved significant time off road, both on slow 4x4 tracks crawling along, and on high speed unpaved roads doing 45-55mph. On my return home I found that after the period of high speed dirt running on the return trip there was a *lot* of dust intrusion into the bed of the truck (see pic). On other threads I've seen folks putting carpet and other dust-sensitive items in the bed of the truck, and I have a Backflip MX4 that is pretty good about keeping things in from the top, but if I'm going to get this much dust from just driving dirt roads I am going to need to rethink how I seal up some things like my Ecoflow power station.

IMG_2796.jpg

Has anyone come up with solutions to prevent dust intrusion in dusty areas like the desert? The only place it seems like it could be coming from is the crack at the hinge of the tailgate.

Thanks!
so back when i had my tacoma and i had a camper shell i used a thicker gasket for the portion that touches the bed rail and used the same style thing on the tailgate to keep it sealed better. i cant remember what i used but it was similar to stuff those use with gfc campers and such

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
Funny Jacob I did that same thing but can't remember what brand it was. When I get home I will fined out as there is still some left. I put it on the horizontal tailgate bottom and on the vertical sides too. It seems to work much better.

tailgate seal.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
gkostolny

gkostolny

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Funny Jacob I did that same thing but can't remember what brand it was. When I get home I will fine out as there is still some left. I put it on the horizontal tailgate edges and on the vertical bottom too. It seems to work much better.
Thanks, I'd really appreciate the info.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
I put a moving blanket down, it helps significantly and keeps your stuff from rubbing/rattling

Most comes in from the crack at the front bottom, so overlap I overlap the blanket there

Also the Extang tailgate seal

OP
OP
gkostolny

gkostolny

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put a moving blanket down, it helps significantly and keeps your stuff from rubbing/rattling

Most comes in from the crack at the front bottom, so overlap I overlap the blanket there

Also the Extang tailgate seal
there’s a Ranger owner that left a review for the extang on Amazon saying it doesn’t seal well. Sounds like you have had a different experience?

David Schuster

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4; 1969 Torino GT
How about something like this that you can cut to fit as needed? You could put it in when on the dirt and remove when not needed so it wouldn't trap water. I have used it to seal up gaps on other projects.

foam.jpg

OP
OP
gkostolny

gkostolny

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How about something like this that you can cut to fit as needed? You could put it in when on the dirt and remove when not needed so it wouldn't trap water. I have used it to seal up gaps on other projects.

foam.jpg
That's an interesting idea, actually. I do like that if water does get in it can drain out right now.

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
1) I just put masking tape over the entire inside front crack. Water can still leak out if needed but it basically seals dust from getting in.
2) I also seal all the bed's side holes.
3) For the tailgate cracks, there are products that are flexible rubber strips, like those from ESI; I use these are they work well.

I do not have dust issues after the above.

BTW there's a canopy company that includes a vent to create positive pressure inside the canopy when moving, so that air blows OUT of any cracks/openings. Very cool concept that seems to work well.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
The pickup bed is so full of holes...it's not just the tailgate...there're gaps elsewhere and tonoue cover...probably only positive atmosphere system would keep everything out...maybe an external air pump to raise internal air pressure and keep dust out...

17%2F09%2F20180000%2Fgettyimages-170050300-800x533.jpg

underwhelmed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SC XLT FX4, 1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Occupation
Retired Military
Vehicle Showcase

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

underwhelmed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Vehicle Showcase

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

underwhelmed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered a similar kit from amazon.ca this morning…there might be some challenges with my drop-in bed liner but I’ll see how it goes. I’ll post results.

IMG_5081.jpeg
I saw a few specifically made for drop in liner during my searches.
Sponsored