Premium fuel?

Mustangman02232

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 ranger
Anything turbo or supercharged I always run 93. Better performance and gas mileage . And helps keep the engine cleaner.

20200714_065625.jpg

20200707_091639.jpg
Does your power steering pump on that one make noise like my 03 does?

Bluebeastsrt

First Name
Big D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger 4X4
I’ll muddy things up even more. And will surely piss off the follow the owner manual Nazi’s. But I run 87 and add a few gallons of e85 to the mix. The E has a chemical cooling effect. Which will drop your Intake air temperature. Reducing knock. And e85 is ruffly 100 octane. The truck runs fantastic. Even in 95 degree heat.

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
I’ll muddy things up even more. And will surely piss off the follow the owner manual Nazi’s. But I run 87 and add a few gallons of e85 to the mix. The E has a chemical cooling effect. Which will drop your Intake air temperature. Reducing knock. And e85 is ruffly 100 octane. The truck runs fantastic. Even in 95 degree heat.
Duck?

Reactions: FoD

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Even if that were true, the fuel doesn't mix with the air in the intake in a direct injected engine.
If that idea worked at all it would require TBI or a Carburetor .
Alcohol only cools when evaporating anyway, not when being compressed.

RAS100

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 4WD Lariat
Occupation
Retired
What's the consensus on non-ethanal fuel. I use a 91 octane non-ethanal though it comes at a premium price. My truck seems to run great - good acceleration, no ping, no turbo lag, decent gas mileage. I'm in CO but I spend winters in CA and it's harder to find non fuel.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I'm pretty sure randomly making your own potions of gasoline and E85 without a tune or a flex fuel sensor(which isnt yet possible to integrate as far as i know), is not going to work at all.

Bluebeastsrt

First Name
Big D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger 4X4
Even if that were true, the fuel doesn't mix with the air in the intake in a direct injected engine.
If that idea worked at all it would require TBI or a Carburetor .
Alcohol only cools when evaporating anyway, not when being compressed.
What are you talking about??? The fuel doesn’t mix with the air in the intake???? How does flex fuel vehicles work? Magic? Of course the fuel will mix with the air in the intake. It’s called atomization. That’s what the fuel injectors do. They atomize fuel so that you get a proper fuel/air mixture. The o2 sensors along with other various sensors tell the pcm how much fuel is needed and the injectors adjust their duty cycle. The pcm will also controls the throttle body intake blade pitch to satisfy engine air/fuel demand. Gasoline/ethanol fuel blends (e15 to e85)have significant synergies with Spark Ignited Direct Injected engines. The higher latent heat of vaporization of ethanol increases charge cooling due to fuel evaporation and thus improves knock onset limits and efficiency. This is your first turbo vehicle huh? Your soooo wrong it’s amazing! CARBURETOR?????? Please for the love of god do a little research on boosted/forced induction applications and e85. Adding a gallon or two of E85 Is basically the same principle as methanol injection. Your just using ethanol instead of methanol. But they are both alcohol. Turbo vehicles have been using methanol injection for over 50 years. As a matter of fact. Methanol injection was used in fighter planes back in World war 2. You don’t need to be tuned for meth/ethanol to reap the benefits of the chemical cooling and increased octane. However if you are specifically tuned for e85. (Upgraded fuel components) You can max out the engines performance potential. By maximizing timing and fuel tables. And of course, retarding knock.

Last edited:

Bluebeastsrt

First Name
Big D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger 4X4
I'm pretty sure randomly making your own potions of gasoline and E85 without a tune or a flex fuel sensor(which isnt yet possible to integrate as far as i know), is not going to work at all.
Here’s how you mix your own potions. You buy a 5 dollar methnol test kit. Here’s a link. I doubt you’ve ever seen one before in real life. I used this all the time on my 800whp Mustang!

https://www.revxoil.com/REV-X_Super_Tester.aspx

YouTube will explain how the Ethanol test kit works. And These trucks have adaptive timing maps based on octane. Right? They are perfectly happy on either 87 octane or 93. Correct? How does that work? Well I’ll tell ya. Timing is reduced if knock is detected by the knock sensors. So your truck will pull timing on a hot day quicker. if your running 87 as a posed to 93 octane fuel. More timing equal more performance! Up until you've reached the max timing the pcm will allow. By mixing a little e85 you effectively raising the octane of any pump gasoline you decide to use. Since e85 is roughly 100-105 octane. But you also have the added benefit of lower intake air temperature due to the chemical cooling Of the ethanol. Where is the down side? The cooler the intake charge. The more timing the pcm will allow. More timing equals more performance. Your not going to overwelm the stock fuel system by adding a gallon or two of e85. The tune you mention is only necessary if your looking to run straight e85. You say it won’t work at all. Explain? The concept of adding alcohol to gasoline engines has been working for a very long time.

Last edited:
OP
OP

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
What are you talking about??? The fuel doesn’t mix with the air in the intake???? How does flex fuel vehicles work? Magic? Of course the fuel will mix with the air in the intake. It’s called atomization. That’s what the fuel injectors do. They atomize fuel so that you get a proper fuel/air mixture. The o2 sensors along with other various sensors tell the pcm how much fuel is needed and the injectors adjust their duty cycle. The pcm will also controls the throttle body intake blade pitch to satisfy engine air/fuel demand. Gasoline/ethanol fuel blends (e15 to e85)have significant synergies with Spark Ignited Direct Injected engines. The higher latent heat of vaporization of ethanol increases charge cooling due to fuel evaporation and thus improves knock onset limits and efficiency. This is your first turbo vehicle huh? Your soooo wrong it’s amazing! CARBURETOR?????? Please for the love of god do a little research on boosted/forced induction applications and e85. Adding a gallon or two of E85 Is basically the same principle as methanol injection. Your just using ethanol instead of methanol. But they are both alcohol. Turbo vehicles have been using methanol injection for over 50 years. As a matter of fact. Methanol injection was used in fighter planes back in World war 2. You don’t need to be tuned for meth/ethanol to reap the benefits of the chemical cooling and increased octane. However if you are specifically tuned for e85. (Upgraded fuel components) You can max out the engines performance potential. By maximizing timing and fuel tables. And of course, retarding knock.
Ford, and some other manufacturers, have transitioned some GDI engines to dual injection, having fuel injectors in the combustion chamber and the intake port for the sole purpose of reducing the buildup of PCV contaminant buildup on the back side of the intake valves. Our 2.3 is not one of them. Look at the manifold. Fuel is never injected into the intake ports, only directly into the combustion chamber. There are aftermarket solutions that add port injectors, but they are focused primarily on increasing performance instead of simply cleaning PCV deposits from the intake valves. This does not mean, however, that alcohol cannot decrease combustion temperatures, and potential pre-ignition (knocking) when mixed with gasoline and injected directly into the cylinder.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
you are just rambling.. the truck has no way to adjust fueling and timing for any E85 addition Making any perceived value null.

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
As @slowmachine has said on the 2.3 fuel is fired directly into the combustion chamber and not the intake what so ever. Using e85 without a tune(even with the mixing you are doing) is most likely going to cause problems as Ford does state to not use more than E10 or E15(can't remember right off) or problems will happen.... But thier just engineers who make way more money than I do and spend way more money than they make it I make combined, so what would they know?

Bluebeastsrt

First Name
Big D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger 4X4
As @slowmachine has said on the 2.3 fuel is fired directly into the combustion chamber and not the intake what so ever. Using e85 without a tune(even with the mixing you are doing) is most likely going to cause problems as Ford does state to not use more than E10 or E15(can't remember right off) or problems will happen.... But thier just engineers who make way more money than I do and spend way more money than they make it I make combined, so what would they know?
LOL ok explain the problem its going to cause? Like I said in my first post this will piss off the owner manual nazis! I dont care where the fuel is injected the science is the same. Port injection, dirrect injection. I mean you have guys talking about needing a carburetor for christ sakes! The science is the same! All you have to do is a quick google search on the subject. To enlighten yourself on the benefits of alchol injection.Those same engineers that you speak of will write in the owners manual. That any modifications will void your warranty. I don't care if its a simple as a cold air intake. But ford will be happy to sell you a conservative tune for a 1000 dollars. And then force you to have it installed by them. For another few hundred bucks more. The sheep will continue to follow the owners manual to a tee. And then there are those that will educate themselves. Your the second guys to say it'll "cause problems". You just can't name what those peoblems will be? Google is your friend.