Power rear sliding window

Zanardi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Saber 4x4 Sport
Just curious why a sliding rear window is a desirable feature. It seems to be a feature a lot of folks like. I've never owned a truck before my Ranger. My truck happens to not have a sliding rear window. I never gave it any thought one way or the other when I picked out the truck. Beyond maybe improving air flow through the cab do they have other handy uses?

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Just curious why a sliding rear window is a desirable feature. It seems to be a feature a lot of folks like. I've never owned a truck before my Ranger. My truck happens to not have a sliding rear window. I never gave it any thought one way or the other when I picked out the truck. Beyond maybe improving air flow through the cab do they have other handy uses?
Years ago my boss driving near Philly area had the road collapse under him (sink hole) and the trucked dropped about 6 foot into hole. The only way out was through back slider but you would need to be pretty small to get out that hole! LOL

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
IMO: Having had '95, '05, and a '19 Rangers, all with sliding rear windows, they are very handy when the 2x4s don't quite fit in the box OR when it's not warm enough for A/C and you want a nice breeze in the cabin, open the windows, and the rear slider, perfect.

Always wanted a power-slider as on the extended cab and especially on the crew cab, it's a pain to have to stop to open or close it.

Last edited:

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
The Sport Trac window with the vent/up/down switch was the best. I was very disappointed that the Ranger didn't keep that feature.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Years ago my boss driving near Philly area had the road collapse under him (sink hole) and the trucked dropped about 6 foot into hole. The only way out was through back slider but you would need to be pretty small to get out that hole! LOL

My older F 150's at least had a larger rear window,not like these little port holes. I don't think I could even get my head out of this one. lol Without being powered these are useless,I'd rather just have a sold rear window. My Tacoma was the same way and in the 3.5 years I owned it I never used it once.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
My older F 150's at least had a larger rear window,not like these little port holes. I don't think I could even get my head out of this one. lol Without being powered these are useless,I'd rather just have a sold rear window. My Tacoma was the same way and in the 3.5 years I owned it I never used it once.
My 17 Taco has electric slider,one of the few things that are better on the Taco.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2020 Escape AWD Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Hi Gregg,

Appointment was a partial disaster. Got the Script I needed for a couple pair of glasses with various strategies, but the followup refraction was such a bust the tech gave up as I could not see squat I was only able to see the Big E and every "which is better...1 or 2?" it got worst. So then placed in a chair for the ophthalmologist. Got the lenses checked, retina verified intact...the the discussion of what went wrong with the refraction. She was totally baffled...she has done thousands of cataract surgeries and she had never seen anything close to what I experienced. She said that the things that would cause this inability to refract all proved negative in my case...:confused::confused::confused::confused: Her only good news is I am now seeing 20/25 for distance for the first time in my life! I check back in 8 months or if something goes south...call and she will see me immediately. :cool:

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Yes there are

B7C4CEBF-D92C-4ABB-AA6C-7E79B91800CF.jpeg

8E8C2205-6B90-4528-9D43-F35091F6C1BE.jpeg

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2020 Escape AWD Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Sorry for the double quotes.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
My 17 Taco has electric slider,one of the few things that are better on the Taco.
They must have added that in '17 as my '16 didn't have it. I'm really surprised that Ford didn't have this for the Ranger seeing it's in the F 150's and they could use a similar design. Then again they didn't have the tailgate damper on the Ranger and the F 150 has that too. :crazy:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
They must have added that in '17 as my '16 didn't have it. I'm really surprised that Ford didn't have this for the Ranger seeing it's in the F 150's and they could use a similar design. Then again they didn't have the tailgate damper on the Ranger and the F 150 has that too. :crazy:
Remember the Ranger is a product of Ford Australia.... So there were likely some product features that were not incorporated. Cannot say for sure, but having experiences with bringing in ROW vehicles and assessing what it would take to make it salable in the North American Market, these decision have to be made if the retooling and packaging is way too much expense and time. I think the power slider was on the block, and did not survive.

There is a set of Affordable Targets for any program, and if you do not meet these targets (most are bean counter smoke) then, no bonus for you and maybe a dead end career too. So things like a power slider probably bought the farm thanks to the bean counters.

JMO...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Power sliding mod for an aperture too small to squeeze a child through? Why? I'd rather have a powered glove box :crazy: :crackup:

I thought about ordering this slide option when I was configuring my build thinking that I may want a bed cap for camping just so I can slip into the cab for a fast get away during a midnight grizzly attack...then I realized that even my skinny 160lb frame wouldn't get far through that tiny pitiful hole...

Last edited:

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Power sliding mod for an aperture too small to squeeze a child through? Why? I'd rather have a powered glove box :crazy: :crackup:

I thought about ordering this slide option when I was configuring my build thinking that I may want a bed cap for camping just so I can slip into the cab for a fast get away during a midnight grizzly attack...then I realized that even my skinny 160lb frame wouldn't get far through that tiny pitiful hole...
I was told the window is that small because people were squeezing through and stealing stuff.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I’d definitely be interested in buying if someone came up with a power slider. I used the rear sliding window in my old Ranger almost daily in the summer but it was easy to reach.
Sponsored