Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Can those of you that have some type of boot between the cab and your topper give me some advice? There are several different types out there. I had a type of sleeve boot back when I had my 84. It had a flexible steel hoop on each end of the sleeve (or tube?). You could flex the steel hoop similar to that on a hunting blind to pass it through the two windows. Then, it would return to the hoop shape and keep the sleeve in place through the two window openings. Not super weather tight but reasonable for use on trips where I wanted access to the cargo without having to go outside.

TIA

Steve
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Not going to access much cargo through that little window. Kind of useless, I think I've opened it once in three years.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Not going to access much cargo through that little window. Kind of useless, I think I've opened it once in three years.
I wouldn't call it useless.

It works well for ventilation and letting the dogs say hi when they're back there.

That being said, I agree that it's probably not usefull as a pass through.

MustangMike2021

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FX4 1966 Mustang GT Fastback
Occupation
Tech
I have a 2019 crew cab with a ARE shell. I purchased a Ranger with the 302A package especially for the rear sliding window. I agree with DFresh, the best use is for air flow through the cab. When the rear window is open and the driver's window is open, the air flow is greatly increased without the noise and wind hitting you in the face. During normal use, not using A/C, I usually have the truck rear window open, and the shell's front window closed. I usually keep the shell's window closed because it seems the allow a lot of creaking noises from the shell's flex from being heard in the cab. About the only time I have both open is when I am hauling 8 foot 2x4 lumber. I also usually have both open while camping so my terrier pup can move between the cab and shell easily. I also agree with DFresh the the small size the window, prevents using it as a cargo pass through. The biggest drawback of the rear window is it is not remote controlled. In a crew cab, it is impossible to open/close without getting out and accessing it from the rear doors. Hope this helps. Mike

OP
OP
k_teven

k_teven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks folks. As I have a small dog myself (Schnauzer/Yorkie), my plan was to utilize it for her to access to and from the back if and when we bring her along. Back when I had my first ranger in 84, we had a beagle and I had it set up the same way. He could go to and from the cab when he wanted to that way.

Have gotten the opinion of a couple folk on the window itself, but, I'd like to know if anyone has a boot that they particularly like or dislike. Thanks. Steven
Sponsored