Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
I dropped my truck off at the dealer to get a couple minor things checked out:
  1. Rough shifting transmission when cold (https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...-runs-rough-rough-shifting-transmission.2135/)
  2. Inconsistent Brake Pedal Feel (https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/brakes-feel-mushy.2124/)
As far as the transmission was concerned, I experienced rough shifts between gears 1 and 3 when cold. Gears 4 - 10 were great with no issues, but gears 1 - 3 definitely felt harsh at times. I notified my dealer of the TSB, and they got it taken care of. It's been two days since I got it back and I can definitely say that I already feel a difference and MUCH more consistent at those low speeds. If your truck qualifies for the TSB, I would highly recommend it.

For the brakes, there seems to be quite a bit of agreement that they engage pretty far into the brake pedal travel - even Car and Driver mentioned the odd brake engagement. Furthermore, when they do engage, it's pretty aggressive and I found it pretty difficult to modulate. I also felt that at low speeds, braking feels pretty inconsistent. The dealer called me back and told me that they confirmed that there is no air in the brakes and that everything is in spec. They also drove two other Rangers in their lot and confirmed that they all had the same feel. As far as the inconsistency at low speeds goes, the dealer and I both agreed that its probably the transmission (before the TSB) was downshifting that gave the impression that the vehicle was inconsistently braking. Not surprised that there isn't anything wrong, but it's probably just not the best designed brake system in terms of ergonomics.

Hope someone finds this info helpful. Cheers!
Sponsored

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
That's exactly why I didn't bother taking it in. It's either the master is too big or how the system works with the components combination. I'll be ordering a big brake kit with braided lines soon. That should help the issue out. There's still a possibility that the pushrod is a bit short for the master cylinder but there's too much crap in the way to easily pull it off and measure. I'll just go with the big brake kit.

OP
OP
doug910

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
That's exactly why I didn't bother taking it in. It's either the master is too big or how the system works with the components combination. I'll be ordering a big brake kit with braided lines soon. That should help the issue out. There's still a possibility that the pushrod is a bit short for the master cylinder but there's too much crap in the way to easily pull it off and measure. I'll just go with the big brake kit.
If the big brake kit helps out, let me know. That'll be interesting.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger

HighFivenWhiteGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Thank you for the update. I was debating whether or not taking the time to drop off my truck for the TSB was worth it but it sounds like the answer is a resounding yes.

OP
OP
doug910

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
Thank you for the update. I was debating whether or not taking the time to drop off my truck for the TSB was worth it but it sounds like the answer is a resounding yes.
About a week later and the trans has its chance to "re-learn" my driving style. Definitely recommend! If you make an afternoon appointment, you can probably have it done the same day as well.

OP
OP
doug910

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
please stop saying the transmission is learning. this is flat out untrue and misunderstood.
this is right from a Ford site...

"Ford’s 10-speed transmission has highly sophisticated software that is constantly evaluating road conditions to ensure the perfect shift. There is a false idea that there is a learning curve for the driver, or for the transmission to know the driver’s tendencies."
Lol, I didn't realize that this topic would irk someone so much. I'm sorry that I was just paraphrasing straight from the TSB:
upload_2019-6-3_13-31-39.png

Either way, shifts felt off the day of the update. They feel much smoother now so there definitely is some re-learning/re-calibration process after the flash.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Lol, I didn't realize that this topic would irk someone so much. I'm sorry that I was just paraphrasing straight from the TSB:
upload_2019-6-3_13-31-39.png

Either way, shifts felt off the day of the update. They feel much smoother now so there definitely is some re-learning/re-calibration process after the flash.
Tru Dat !

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
please stop saying the transmission is learning. this is flat out untrue and misunderstood.

"Ford’s 10-speed transmission has highly sophisticated software that is constantly evaluating road conditions to ensure the perfect shift. There is a false idea that there is a learning curve for the driver, or for the transmission to know the driver’s tendencies."
It doesn't learn how you drive, but it does adjust for the particulars of the transmission and accumulated wear. Mine shifted terribly when it was fresh out of the factory but quickly settled down.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired

From page 154 of the owners manual:
upload_2019-6-3_12-40-14.png

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
it's not learning you. it's not learning me. Its not learning a driving style. Thats the point that so many people are getting wrong.
The people irked by this are the ones who think this is some smart phone based transmission or something. Its nothing special or crazy unique, you can't ask alexa to change your shift patterns. It does it's thing quietly with the electrons and neutrons pulsing thru the computer.
Yes its adaptive, that is not up for debate, but it's not changing because I drive it, or my kids drive it. its changing parameters for it's needs based on the quote I posted.
I was pretty polite in my post.
Polite?

OP
OP
doug910

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
it's not learning you. it's not learning me. Its not learning a driving style. Thats the point that so many people are getting wrong.
The people irked by this are the ones who think this is some smart phone based transmission or something. Its nothing special or crazy unique, you can't ask alexa to change your shift patterns. It does it's thing quietly with the electrons and neutrons pulsing thru the computer.
Yes its adaptive, that is not up for debate, but it's not changing because I drive it, or my kids drive it. its changing parameters for it's needs based on the quote I posted.
I was pretty polite in my post.
I don't think anyone was expecting it to be a smart phone transmission and I don't think anyone thought that this trans would change to whoever was driving it. Pretty sure that it's understood that the transmission is just adaptive.

And honest feedback man, no you weren't. You were being condescending and pedantic - there are much better ways to phrase a correction.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
My understanding of the "adaptive" part that it had nothing to do with driving style. It was adapting to the specific transmission. It is monitoring shifting pressures and making adjustments based on the machining of that specific transmission - each transmission is manufactured slightly differently (manufacturing tolerances) and this adaptive piece was to dial in each transmission to its specific tolerances, etc.

It just shows how high tech the 10 speed transmission is. It is an absolutely amazing piece of engineering.
Sponsored