Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
What’s the harm?
In running higher octane than needed? More profits to oil execs and maybe a bit more carbon on the intake valves since octane rating is a resistance to burn. That said; with boost and our compression ratio I doubt it doesn't burn everything it gets... but that would be interesting to see the difference in a stock truck's intake valve carbon issues at 150k miles after one ran low and one ran high.
Sponsored

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
am I blind or are the curves the same on the "daily tow" from 93 and 87? It doesn't give a specific peak number but those seem really close together.
No, you are good. These charts leave out some important variables like ambient air temperature,, relative humidity, elevation above sea level, level of heat soak, etc. They really don't show what I'd call a significant difference between 87 and 93 on horsepower other that some slight variations. Torque was basically the same if I read it correctly for a stock tune.

The only thing these charts really allude to is more torque output at lower rpm range is possible with a tune, whether an 87 or 93 octane tune. How long a tune can deliver that output is determined by fuel octane and the ability to keep compressed intake air below an unknown temperature.

Jackpot Tremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor 4x4
Occupation
Self Employed
ok, I have to admit that I can't tell that my tremor lariat is any faster with the Ford Performance tune but "it feels faster" in the drivers seat and that's all that matters......I run strictly 91 octane and NEVER see 93 octane here in So CA......but, I did see 101 octane racing fuel for $9.99 a gallon at a regular 76 gas station here in SO CA.....I asked the guy inside if it would improve performance in my tuned Ranger and he said "I dunno"....."might harm it if it's not tuned for it".......I have no idea but what are your thoughts?.......should I fill my tank with 1/2 91 octane and the other 1/2 with 101 octane and see what happens?.....will it hurt my engine/cat?....or is it just a waste of $$$??

I just thought it was cool seeing 101 octane at a regular76 gas station especially here in So CA.....

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
ok, I have to admit that I can't tell that my tremor lariat is any faster with the Ford Performance tune but "it feels faster" in the drivers seat and that's all that matters......I run strictly 91 octane and NEVER see 93 octane here in So CA......but, I did see 101 octane racing fuel for $9.99 a gallon at a regular 76 gas station here in SO CA.....I asked the guy inside if it would improve performance in my tuned Ranger and he said "I dunno"....."might harm it if it's not tuned for it".......I have no idea but what are your thoughts?.......should I fill my tank with 1/2 91 octane and the other 1/2 with 101 octane and see what happens?.....will it hurt my engine/cat?....or is it just a waste of $$$??

I just thought it was cool seeing 101 octane at a regular76 gas station especially here in So CA.....
Waste of money. You probably only need 3-4 gallons of 101 to make 93. Anything past this and the ECU can't take advantage of the higher rating

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
In running higher octane than needed? More profits to oil execs and maybe a bit more carbon on the intake valves since octane rating is a resistance to burn. That said; with boost and our compression ratio I doubt it doesn't burn everything it gets... but that would be interesting to see the difference in a stock truck's intake valve carbon issues at 150k miles after one ran low and one ran high.
My comment was about this being a repeat thread. I myself enjoy rerun questions, I usually learn something new or updated info.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
From the Ford website, the 270/310 is with premium fuel.

8D76CF61-F045-4A7C-9CE3-024DD401F540.png
I would say that is a mistake by the marketing folks that put the web page together. There are a lot of inconsistencies and contradictions on the Ford web site.

The evidence is pretty overwhelming that the power rating of the Ranger Ecoboost is based on 87 octane.
1. Based on all the tech articles I have read, they all say the power is rated on 87 Octane.
2. All the dyno tests I have seen support 270 on 87 and 300 on 93 octane, including the 5-Star Dyno article linked in this thread.l
3. The Bronco web page lists the power on 87 octane at 275 and 315 on 93 octane which supports the tech articles and Dyno tests.
4. This topic has been discussed many times on this forum with the concensus being the 270 HP is on 87.
5. If the 270 was on 93 the Ranger would not be able to run away from a Tacoma like it does on 87.

Screenshot_20220711-101857.png

Spence's bumper sticker

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Edge Sport
Occupation
Security Analyst + USN
My wife's last car was an Escape with the 1.6. I hated that engine, thought it was underpowered and overrevved. But, we ran 87 the whole time.
So, I decided in my Ranger I'd run 91. I also have the Livernois tuner. I've never had it dyno'd, but I can say it was a incredible difference in power with the tune, and I'm getting a consistent 23.5 mpg average (prob. 60/40 hwy/street).

Reactions: EJH

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
I live in IL about 20 miles from IA where I go about twice a month. 93 is at least $.20/gal less than 87 in my town. Its a no-brainer, I have FP Tune and Borla exhaust.....29 mpg at 65mph, 24 mpg at 80 mph.

Jackpot Tremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor 4x4
Occupation
Self Employed
Waste of money. You probably only need 3-4 gallons of 101 to make 93. Anything past this and the ECU can't take advantage of the higher rating

I don't and wont run 101 but I just that it was cool seeing that kinda gas.....my truck performs just fine with the Ford Performance Tune and 91 octane.......I never take "race" my Tremor or (I'm ashamed to say) take it off road......it's never seen a dirt road let alone a real off road trail......it's my daily driver and it's fun just the way it is!

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Saw post where a 2.3 ecoboost mustang run on 87 octane vs 91 lost 35 hp, if 2022 ranger ran 91 vs 87 octane would the power increase by 35 hp?
In AZ all we get is the weak Californication version of premium gas, 91 Octane. I can sort of tell the difference in my Ranger. Kind of. When I get 93 Octane gas in Tx, the truck is unleashed. Obvious performance +. I ran a tank of 110 Octane no lead no alcohol racing fuel in it once. Mistake. Sarted getting a Catalytic Convertor warning. Ran a couple tanks 87 Octane fuel with Catalytic Convertor Treatment and the light went off. Probly to run the race fuel would need Tuning.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
Our trucks have octane sensing capabilities and will adjust power.

The Bronco actually publishes power figures with 87 vs 93, I'd expect our engines to be similar.

1657632000893.png

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
Here is my experiences using both 87 octane and a mix of 91 -93 octane. No it isn't scientific nor did I use a dyno. My XLT FX4 is stock.

I have been running 91 or 93 since I bought my truck. A few months back I switched to 87 octane due to the price difference. I ran at least 4 tanks of 87 octane.

Here are my results running 87 octane:

Engine ran rougher
Noticeably less power
A loss of 4-5 miles per gallon.

It took 2 full tans of 91-93 octane to get back to where I was before running 87 octane. Even with full prices being what they are, I will stick with 91-93 octane.

And for those wondering why I use 91 and 93 , it is because not all stations have 93 octane fuel. Some only have 91 octane.

Again this is what I noticed on a stock 2020 XLT FX4. Other than very short trips around my small town, it is al least 20 miles to the nearest big town for shopping or doctor appointments.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Keep in mind that the 270 HP rating Ford advertises for the Ranger is using 87 Octane. The 310/330 Ford advertises for the Mustang is with 93 Octane. Also, Ford advertises the HP rating on the 2.3 Ecoboost in the Bronco as 275 HP on 87 Octane and 315 HP on 93 Octane. It would be nice if they did the same for the Ranger.

So if you run your Ranger on 93 octane you will get around 300 HP. There are a number of threads on this forum that discuss this topic.
Here is my experiences using both 87 octane and a mix of 91 -93 octane. No it isn't scientific nor did I use a dyno. My XLT FX4 is stock.

I have been running 91 or 93 since I bought my truck. A few months back I switched to 87 octane due to the price difference. I ran at least 4 tanks of 87 octane.

Here are my results running 87 octane:

Engine ran rougher
Noticeably less power
A loss of 4-5 miles per gallon.

It took 2 full tans of 91-93 octane to get back to where I was before running 87 octane. Even with full prices being what they are, I will stick with 91-93 octane.

And for those wondering why I use 91 and 93 , it is because not all stations have 93 octane fuel. Some only have 91 octane.

Again this is what I noticed on a stock 2020 XLT FX4. Other than very short trips around my small town, it is al least 20 miles to the nearest big town for shopping or doctor appointments.
This more/less matches my experience. I use 92 (premium in OR/WA) and the MPG increase over 87 is more than the cost difference (most of the time).

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
All I can say about my Livernois 91 tune...it goes!!! (and even better in Sport Mode).:tumbleweed:
Sponsored