First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2015 Ford Edge, 1966 Mustang GT
Occupation
GE Healthcare FSE, Retired
I am interested in knowing if anyone has tried UNL88 in their Ranger. Here in NC the price is around 15 cents cheaper than UNL87. I am averaging 22 mpg with UNL87, don't tow a utility trailer very often, no off road, just normal city/highway driving. 2020 Ranger XLT 4X4, 15k miles. Not interested in higher performance for the truck, will hop in the 66 Mustang GT if I wanna go fast.... Pros and cons welcomed
Sponsored

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Unleaded 87 is 10% ethanol. Unleaded 88 is 15% ethanol. For a one point higher octane rating your getting an extra 5% ethanol added.
10% was/is bad enough...why would you want more. And, a 1% higher octane rating is so insignificant you and your vehicle will not notice it.
Owners manual indicates if under heavy load/use, like towing, you can use 89 or even 92 octane, both of which still have only 10% ethanol.
These are general guidelines as different parts of the country may rate their fuel differently.
When we were traveling with our motorhome in Canada, fuel available sometimes only had ratings of 84/85 octane, and our E-450 V-10 motorhome did just fine.

Last edited:

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I use E15 88 about two out of three tanks. It’s 10 to 20 cents cheaper than 87 here. I see no difference in performance or mpg. It’s okay as long as you run a good fuel system cleaner every oil change. I use Chevron Techron.

Reactions: EJH

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
I am curious what the benefits of using 91 vs 87 are? I know the manual says I can use 87, but suggests I use 91 during summer months, which right now in Vegas it's been triple digits. I've been using 91 since day one, but man those 91 prices have been killing me lol

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
I am curious what the benefits of using 91 vs 87 are? I know the manual says I can use 87, but suggests I use 91 during summer months, which right now in Vegas it's been triple digits. I've been using 91 since day one, but man those 91 prices have been killing me lol
91 will resist detonation (knock) and the computer will advance the timing a bit for better performance. In very hot weather the engine will be more likely to knock so higher octane is better. If it runs okay on 87, and it probably will, then go ahead and save a few bucks. Where I live 91-93 is 60 cents more a gallon and I put on 400 or so miles a week, so that ain't happening here.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Unleaded 87 is 10% ethanol. Unleaded 88 is 15% ethanol. For a one point higher octane rating your getting an extra 5% ethanol added.
10% was/is bad enough...why would you want more. And, a 1% higher octane rating is so insignificant you and your vehicle will not notice it.
Owners manual indicates if under heavy load/use, like towing, you can use 89 or even 92 octane, both of which still have only 10% ethanol.
These are general guidelines as different parts of the country may rate their fuel differently.
When we were traveling with our motorhome in Canada, fuel available sometimes only had ratings of 84/85 octane, and our E-450 V-10 motorhome did just fine.
Steve, Gassed up on the 4th of July...the 3 grades here are all up to 10% ethanol according to the posting on the dispenser. Maybe it varies from state to state.... I use the 88 as it works well at this altitude :)

Gas price (top).jpg

Gas price (bottom).jpg

Last edited:

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
Absolutely nothing wrong with running E15. It's a tad higher octane. The BTU difference between E10 and E15 is tiny. Most of the information floating around about ethanol being harmful to fuel systems is beyond outdated.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Just for the fact that 88 is a higher octane in theory you should get better power and mileage in the truck. Enough to feel a difference? Probably not. 91 and higher? Absolutely but not the difference you would get from a tune

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Steve, Gassed up on the 4th of July...the 3 grades here are all up to 10% ethanol according to the posting on the dispenser. Maybe it varies from state to state.... I use the 88 as it works well at this altitude :)

Gas price (top).jpg

Gas price (bottom).jpg
Just different areas of the country I guess.
Here in Virginia 88 is 15% ethanol, and ethanol really isn't good for an engine. 10% I gotta live with cause its mandatory, but I'll pass on 15%.
Luckily there are several independent gas stations that still have 87/89/92 octane non-ethanol REAL gas. Use it in my older mowers, lawn tractor.

Last edited:

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Absolutely nothing wrong with running E15. It's a tad higher octane. The BTU difference between E10 and E15 is tiny. Most of the information floating around about ethanol being harmful to fuel systems is beyond outdated.
Ethanol can be harmful to the fuel lines and carbs in older cars but if those parts have been replaced recently the replacements will be okay. Couple years ago I had to get a new carb on my mower and the shop told me that the ethanol evaporates faster than the gas and leaves a gummy residue in carbs that are run infrequently. They told me to use Sta-Bil in the gas all the time, not just for winter storage. Since I did that I've not had a problem.

Last edited:

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Just different areas of the country I guess.
Here in Virginia 88 is 15% ethanol, and ethanol really isn't good for an engine. 10% I gotta live with cause its mandatory, but I'll pass on 15%.
Luckily there are several independent gas stations that still have 87/89/92 octane leaded REAL gas. Use it in my older mowers, lawn tractor.
My opinion too is that its best to use gas without it. Before it was required for every county here, I used to drive out of town about 13 miles to gas up without ethanol. I did a lot of research about the pros and cons of using ethanol back then and it was not recommended. The idea that modern vehicles have to be modified to make them acceptable for ethanol use is concerning.

Even though the manual calls for 87, I could probably get away with 86 (87 is not available in my area as it is in other places) at this altitude but would rather be on the upper edge and use 88. I have thought about comparing the mpg's between 88 and 91...then if 91 came out at the same cost or less than 88 would consider using it instead. But that is unlikely considering the price differences between the two grades at the pump.

Last edited:

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
How exactly is ethanol not good for an engine?
Sorry...I should have been more specific...
Older engines ethanol is a bitch on rubber fuel lines and gaskets. Try soaking a piece of rubber in alcohol for awhile and see how long it lasts. Yeah, concentrated, but 10-15% over a period of time will crap out the lines.
Smaller engines, mowers are still better run with leaded gas, or "full octane non ethanol gas"
The newer, modern engines have different compounds in their lines and gaskets to avoid deterioration like the older stuff. Their computers and sensors are geared to it.
Sponsored