Pedal Commander or similar throttle controller for offroad use?

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
Does anybody know if a Pedal Commander or other throttle controller (Banks Pedal Monster, for example) will help with offroading in slippery surfaces? Maybe my truck is still new and I'm getting used to the throttle tip-in, but it's really easy to spin tires even when going at slow speed in 4LO. The traction control does take care of this, and the rear locker is great on the Tremor; however, I'm looking to reduce the initial "surge" of throttle when getting on the first 10% of the pedal.

Compared to other vehicles (Jeeps, Tacomas, etc.) this truck feels like 5-10% on the pedal gives the first 30% of power and then the rest is more linear. My friend's Tacoma (manual trans) you really need to get on the throttle and this truck is the opposite. I'm thinking of using a Pedal Commander in the (-) modes for off road driving, will that help or is it just a gimmick?

They claim up to 20% fuel economy increase too, but I am doubtful... all this thing can do is modify the pedal position the car "sees" correct?
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Wisertyou

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger XLT 4x4
Eco mode would probably work for this. Plus i think they're adjustable. It's definitely not a 1 to 1 adjustment. City mode seems to spool up faster then even out. I bought mine used for half retail and think it's worth that, full retail costs half if what a tune does, I'd probably just do that.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Not to sure why you are having said issue. Something to try is have your right foot rub against the lower center console area while running the throttle. This will help you with a sense of control. Also if not already using it turn your terrain modes on while OffRoad. They retune the throttle a little bit.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
In my experience, using the snow/gravel mode in terrain management reduces the initial throttle response to reduce spinning in slippery situations. So give that a try.

Last edited:

sal33n

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio, 2016 Mustang GT
To answer your specific question: Yes

Eco Mode: Allows you to maximize fuel economy by up to 20% over the stock ratings. Its significantly slower response also allows for better traction over various terrains (rain, snow, mud, dirt, etc.) and doubles as a valet mode to keep others from accelerating over a certain rate.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
I'd rather be easier with my foot than spend hundreds of dollars on a little electric box that isn't actually WORTH nearly what they sell for tbh.

That being said... this must be a problem specific to you. I've never had that problem.. and I've been off road a bunch and drive through snow 6 months of the year.

OP
OP

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
Thank you. Coming from a GMC 6.2L and a very linear throttle, this one seems like the throttle on Hyundais/Subarus where they are "marketed" to give more initial tip-in than actual position to sell more cars on the lot.

I briefly tried the Terrain Modes last night and Grass/Gravel/Snow gives approximately the same tip-in, if not less than what I am used to (Jeep, GM, or Toyota trucks). Mud/Ruts seems to put the truck in the power band and downshifts early, and I'm not sure what the last mode did as it wasn't as noticeable.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
As others said, eco mode (drive) will help, as well as the snow/gravel TM mode.

Also, if you're spinning tires in 4 low, maybe you don't need to be in 4 low. Try 4 high.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Thank you. Coming from a GMC 6.2L and a very linear throttle, this one seems like the throttle on Hyundais/Subarus where they are "marketed" to give more initial tip-in than actual position to sell more cars on the lot.

I briefly tried the Terrain Modes last night and Grass/Gravel/Snow gives approximately the same tip-in, if not less than what I am used to (Jeep, GM, or Toyota trucks). Mud/Ruts seems to put the truck in the power band and downshifts early, and I'm not sure what the last mode did as it wasn't as noticeable.
The "last one?"

Serious?

It's the best one. Sand Mode turns RSC off so with a push and hold of the AdvanceTrak button all the nannies will be off. Couple those with your locker and it's "time to make the donuts."

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician

Again you need to learn self throttle control. I suspect younare hitting it more than 10% and causing the Turbo to spool quicker than others. Remember its slow and steady.

Reactions: EJH

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
In my experience, using the snow/gravel mode in terrain management reduces the initial throttle response to reduce spinning in slippery situations. So give that a try.
Exactly. I think the OP can get most of what is asked for using one of the terrain modes. The Snow/Grass/Gravel mode does make it hard to over accelerate the wheels. I find is useful especially on snow/ice.

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
Exactly. I think the OP can get most of what is asked for using one of the terrain modes. The Snow/Grass/Gravel mode does make it hard to over accelerate the wheels. I find is useful especially on snow/ice.
Agreed. I was in what felt like a rather precarious position on a shelf road in the mountains a few years back (on the stock hankooks no less), lots of packed snow and ice. It was actually when I took my profile picture. Anyways, i dropped it into 4 low in grass/gravel/snow, and crept along. Never once did it spin, and i didn't have to focus especially hard on my right foot so it does work very nicely.

OP
OP

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
Appreciate it. Snow/Grass/Gravel is exactly what I was looking for, and has the right amount of throttle tip-in to be similar to other trucks.

For those who are saying I need to learn throttle control, go and test drive anything from Ford back to back with another manufacturer. The day I test drove a C6Z06 back to back with a 2.3L EcoBoost Mustang, the Z06 was taking off smoothly at the same amount of throttle input as the Mustang was spinning the rear tires. I still remember commenting to the salesman the Mustang clutch seemed very "twitchy" but now realize it was the sensitive throttle, couldn't seem to figure out why I had to feather the clutch that much but I remember it revving to 2-3K with a gentle touch on the Mustang.

FWIW over 250K of driving in other manufacturer vehicles is what's leading me to believe the Ford throttle is sensitive. My sales gal at the dealership said the same thing, those "Ford gas pedlas are super touchy"
Sponsored