Offroad Comparison & Review

Dagzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Last week I took my family on a camping trip up in Northern California. We went with a large group and rode with a few different vehicle setups. There was a modified Jeep Wrangler, Gladiator, Tacoma TRD Pro and 4 Runner TRD hitting the OHV trails alongside my Ranger FX4.

The trails up here varied from easy to pretty rugged and technical. We went through it all. Now I've been off roading a few times in my Ranger, mostly on my own near home. But since I've only had the truck for a little over two months, I didn't previously have the opportunity to off road alongside all these other off road capable brands and vehicles.

Jeep and the Toyota TRD setups have gotten a lot of press over the years regarding how off road capable they are and I'm not disputing that. I've owned a Jeep myself. But overall, at least long term, I feel like the Ranger hasn't gotten that kind of press and attention for its "off road chops." After off roading on some very steep mountainous hills, full of deep ruts, rocks and all kinds of different surfaces and terrains, requiring the lowest crawl gearing our trucks could muster; I was really happy with the way my truck performed and how it stacked up with these other vehicles.

I'm looking forward to more trips like this. I gotta say.. man this truck is fun!

imagejpeg_0(3).jpg

imagejpeg_0(4).jpg
Sponsored

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
I have to agree with you! Rarely is it reported how capable our Rangers are offroad. I have driven Jeeps and Toyotas off road and the Ranger is just as, and in some cases, better than, the other rigs.

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
100% agreed. I have done some decent trails in the Ozarks with mine over the last two years. It has done everything I have asked of it with ease. Even a 4L rock trail I didn't intend to do, haha.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Jeep, we don't need no stinkin' Jeep...........:thumbsup:

bentroia

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Logistics
Jeep, we don't need no stinkin' Jeep...........:thumbsup:

Unless we plan to drive on black diamond level trails in California, because the Rangers size, wheelbase, wheel travel and ground clearance will make the venture very challenging to mind, body, sheetmetal, under carriage, and wallet.

daniel3507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
100% agreed. I have done some decent trails in the Ozarks with mine over the last two years. It has done everything I have asked of it with ease. Even a 4L rock trail I didn't intend to do, haha.
Easy to get yourself onto trails you didn't mean to do in the Ozarks.

OP
OP
Dagzz

Dagzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Unless we plan to drive on black diamond level trails in California, because the Rangers size, wheelbase, wheel travel and ground clearance will make the venture very challenging to mind, body, sheetmetal, under carriage, and wallet.
Where in NorCal is that?
Mt. Shasta and Shasta Lake area
Sponsored