Pedal Commander installed....Whoa!

DriverA

First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
The only thing keeping me from buying one of these is if a tune can do the same thing. I wouldnt want to buy it then get the tuner and find out the tune does the same thing. Keep it posted and let us know your findings :like:
My mechanic recommended one when we were talking about a tune and I could not be happier. Without a tune, this thing by itself takes the truck to a whole new level of fun to drive! I run mine on the same Sport -2 setting as Oradank.

It can be controlled by an app on your phone and mounts nicely right under the steering wheel with the supplied adhesive velcro.

pc1.jpg

643x0w.jpg
Sponsored

Mmmmmnachos

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up trying the idrive instead of the pedal commander this time. It does the same thing and it is definitely worth the buy. No it doesn't give you more horsepower but it makes the engine feel more alive for sure. It just gets rid of that lag between your foot and the engine. I mean who wants lag?

MinuteMan

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Fart Can collector
I ended up trying the idrive instead of the pedal commander this time. It does the same thing and it is definitely worth the buy. No it doesn't give you more horsepower but it makes the engine feel more alive for sure. It just gets rid of that lag between your foot and the engine. I mean who wants lag?
Why did you go with the iDrive? I’ve been looking at it today. Not sure I want a tune or throttle control module. Any info would be appreciated.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase

Mmmmmnachos

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Why did you go with the iDrive? I’ve been looking at it today. Not sure I want a tune or throttle control module. Any info would be appreciated.
TBH, I just wanted to try a different one and I watched video reviews and just gave it a try. I think they all really do the same thing.

Throttle controllers and tunes really do different things. I didn't do a tune because I just didn't feel like I needed it, I'm not really racing my truck, and it has plenty of get up and go for what I need. I do though like to improve the response from when I hit the pedal to go. I could live without it but it really does make this truck more fun to drive IMO.

MinuteMan

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Fart Can collector
TBH, I just wanted to try a different one and I watched video reviews and just gave it a try. I think they all really do the same thing.

Throttle controllers and tunes really do different things. I didn't do a tune because I just didn't feel like I needed it, I'm not really racing my truck, and it has plenty of get up and go for what I need. I do though like to improve the response from when I hit the pedal to go. I could live without it but it really does make this truck more fun to drive IMO.
Thank you for the info.

seanjohns

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Database admin
Does this have any effects on the shift points too? Just curious, I don’t need a tune but would like it to drive without lugging. S mode holds the rpms too high and tow/trailer isn’t a whole lot better...although I mostly drive in trailer mode to get rid of the lugging.

Thanks

FInoob

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
??
Does this have any effects on the shift points too? Just curious, I don’t need a tune but would like it to drive without lugging. S mode holds the rpms too high and tow/trailer isn’t a whole lot better...although I mostly drive in trailer mode to get rid of the lugging.

Thanks
No, it doesn't change the shift points.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4

Thanks
Try locking out the top 2 gears and driving it as an 8 speed.

For local driving I almost always lock out 9 and 10 and just run it as an 8 speed. I only use 9 and 10 when on the highway.

This seems to eliminate the lugging for me since it's not jumping to such a high gear so quickly.

My area has a lot of hills and I do mostly short trips, rarely any highway. My usual speeds are below 55mph (the dash indicates my average speed from new is 28 mph :facepalm:).

Last edited:

John Jenkins

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Larait 4x4 Super Cab
Vehicle Showcase
So I installed a Petal Commander today. If you're not sure what it is, it's basically a little module that plugs in above the gas pedal and alters the electronic signal. Actual installation takes seconds. Complete plug and play. This model works with 2011+ Ford vehicles, so I will be trying it on my 2016 Explorer too.

20191006_182415.jpg

Once installed I tried it out a run to grab some food. It has a few modes. Eco, City, Sport, and Sport+...(AKA Ludicrous Speed :shock:)

Eco: This mode on the street, is worthless, it feels very anemic, however, I'm very curious to try this off road. In 4lo this would be awesome to use to crawl through stuff with.

City.: This is a step above what it is stock. (which you can just scroll through to turn it back to stock.) However it much more responsive. This they was it should be from the factory. This is my favorite setting, so far

Sport: Truck comes alive here. I would almost say touchy. I almost thought it was a poinless mode, because of the next level, but I think it's a happy medium in between more fun and bat out of hell.

Sport+: Whoa! If you added any other performance mods on top of this, it would be insane. You hit the gas and then it's somebody hit the NOS button from Fast and Furious films. It doesn't change the horsepower, just the throttle response. But itsi pretty nutty.

20191006_183551.jpg

I'll be testing it more over my comutco over the next few weeks, to see the effects on mpg, and overall drivability. Again I'll also trying it in my 2016 Explorer.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Oh, I got mine from here in case anyone is interested.

https://www.svcoffroad.com/ranger-engine-performance
Thank you for your post, I’ve thought about this one for awhile. After your post I’m definitely going to give it a shot

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I think as someone else is probably already pointed out by now for about $200 more than a pedal Commander you get the same electronic throttle body fix in addition to more horsepower and torque in addition to better transmission mapping in addition to tire size readjustment in addition to etc etc with a tune

I believe the only two benefits that pedal Commander has is it cost less and it is a plug-and-play interception device that probably is far more undetectable than a tune.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I think I may try one of these throttle controllers. I don’t need or want more power and have no issues with the transmission shifts. But, I would like a little better throttle response in D mode. Sport mode Is fine, but as others have commented, Sport holds the shift points longer than i would like for daily driving. So this may be worth an experiment.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
All "I" have to do, is use the Sports mode, and stomp the go pedal. And what do I get? Squeeling rubber. Why would I want anything more?

Last edited:

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
When my truck was new I had a hard time adjusting to its throttle response. Coming out of a 97Ranger 3.0v6 I was accustomed to “slow throttling” trying to squeeze at least 18-19 mpg out of it with no success, constant 17 no matter how I drove it, except pulling a trailer on the interstate where it dropped to 12mpg.

Anyway attempting the same with my new Ranger was practically impossible. I noticed every little flat spot and stumble and complained to the dealership without any luck.

This throttle controller may have been just what I needed. I might still try one even though I’ve been re-trained on how to drive the new Ranger….. but a tune sure did make a difference…..but not in mpg’s.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
The other day I put my iDrive in the -- mode which is basically back to factory setting, and it was like I was driving up an incline.
Then I switched to AC mode which I think is too aggressive. Talk about shift points, just the slightest throttle kicks it down until it learns your driving style.
The setting U2 or U3 seems to be perfect for the Ranger for daily, and Eco modes for the trails.
I like having it IMO. Had it about a year.
Sponsored