Pedal Commander installed....Whoa!

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
So I installed a Petal Commander today. If you're not sure what it is, it's basically a little module that plugs in above the gas pedal and alters the electronic signal. Actual installation takes seconds. Complete plug and play. This model works with 2011+ Ford vehicles, so I will be trying it on my 2016 Explorer too.

20191006_182415.jpg

Once installed I tried it out a run to grab some food. It has a few modes. Eco, City, Sport, and Sport+...(AKA Ludicrous Speed :shock:)

Eco: This mode on the street, is worthless, it feels very anemic, however, I'm very curious to try this off road. In 4lo this would be awesome to use to crawl through stuff with.

City.: This is a step above what it is stock. (which you can just scroll through to turn it back to stock.) However it much more responsive. This they was it should be from the factory. This is my favorite setting, so far

Sport: Truck comes alive here. I would almost say touchy. I almost thought it was a poinless mode, because of the next level, but I think it's a happy medium in between more fun and bat out of hell.

Sport+: Whoa! If you added any other performance mods on top of this, it would be insane. You hit the gas and then it's somebody hit the NOS button from Fast and Furious films. It doesn't change the horsepower, just the throttle response. But itsi pretty nutty.

20191006_183551.jpg

I'll be testing it more over my comutco over the next few weeks, to see the effects on mpg, and overall drivability. Again I'll also trying it in my 2016 Explorer.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Oh, I got mine from here in case anyone is interested.

https://www.svcoffroad.com/ranger-engine-performance
Sponsored

Last edited:

jhndeergrn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
So I installed a Petal Commander today. If you're not sure what it is, it's basically a little module that plugs in above the gas pedal and alters the electronic signal. Actual installation takes seconds. Complete plug and play. Once installed I tried it out a run to grab some food. It has a few modes. Eco, City, Sport, and Sport+...(AKA Ludicrous Speed :shock:)
What does this plug into? TIA

OP
OP
Stic-o

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What does this plug into? TIA
You unplug the gas pedal, and thid plugs in between.

How is it different from S mode?
It only enhances. I would say the city mode is similar to shifting to "S", only city is much smoother. Now think about the fact that there could be more then just "s" with this.:captain:

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
From what I understand about the Pedal Commander is that it alters the voltage sensitivity of the "Drive-by-Wire" signal between the accelerator pedal and the ECU. By altering the voltage signal, the throttle position curve can be steepened of lessened according to the mode selected.
ECO Mode would require more pedal travel for the same throttle body opening and SPORT Mode would require less pedal travel to get to get to open throttle. There are a number of in-between modes using the (+) and (-) selections. You simply unplug the connector at the throttle assembly and plug this unit into the two open (male & female) connectors.
There is a similar unit sold on eBay that uses the same teqnique, but allows the module to be removed after making your selection.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Stic-o

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There is a similar unit sold on eBay that uses the same teqnique, but allows the module to be removed after making your selection.
The petal comander is shift on the fly if you will. I have changed the setting while driving.

jhndeergrn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I have a Sprint Booster from my ‘18 Mustang 5.0, I wonder if it will plug into the Ranger. I emailed them numerous times but never received a reply. It made the stang really fun to drive.

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The petal comander is shift on the fly if you will. I have changed the setting while driving.
Yes, I do realize that the Pedal Commander can be used while driving but one version needs to be stashed somewhere while still connected by the wire harness. I forgot to mention that the newest version connects by b!uetooth, but I for one am not too crazy about my accelerator pedal possibly subject to wireless interference. They say that they are safe, but I am still a bit hesitant.
With the eBay version, after setting the throttle how you want, you can unplug the module and stash it in the glovebox, etc. This makes the wiring connection virtually invisible to anyone not specifically looking for it.

I spoke too soon...I checked and the unit that I have been referring to is not available for the Ranger yet.

Regarding the Sprint Booster, it might need to be sent back I to be reprogrammed. They are usually pretty vehicle specific.

Last edited:

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stic-o, I would like to apologize for derailing your initial posting a bit. I had no intention of taking away from your positive impression of these units. The principal of the Pedal Commander is good and suitable for however you want your accelerator pedal to feel. I personally just don't like the fact that the control module is permanently attached to the wiring harness. The removable module type is more stealthy and actually a bit cheaper at a bit less than $170. I first looked into these while researching the Chevy Colorado. There, the Pedal Commander signal alteration was helping relieve a dead throttle feel as well as helping with transmission shifting anomalies.
As far as this vs. an ECU tune, this is very easily reversible with no trace of its presence if the truck is brought in for service.

VolRanger24

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Stic-o, I would like to apologize for derailing your initial posting a bit. I had no intention of taking away from your positive impression of these units. The principal of the Pedal Commander is good and suitable for however you want your accelerator pedal to feel. I personally just don't like the fact that the control module is permanently attached to the wiring harness. The removable module type is more stealthy and actually a bit cheaper at a bit less than $170. I first looked into these while researching the Chevy Colorado. There, the Pedal Commander signal alteration was helping relieve a dead throttle feel as well as helping with transmission shifting anomalies.
As far as this vs. an ECU tune, this is very easily reversible with no trace of its presence if the truck is brought in for service.
How is this not traceable when ford services the vehicle even if removed before bringing in? Would the ECU still show some type of indication? Not suggesting your wrong just really curious and if really untraceable I may be will you give it a go.

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VolRanger24,

Once the ECU gets the voltage signal from the accelerator pedal (whether directly or via a throttle controller) it activates the throttle body servo to open as it is programmed to. The ECU cannot make a determination that the signal does not actually come from the pedal, it only knows what signal it is expecting. For a dealer visit, it can be unplugged and removed very easily.

As I have been looking into the various throttle controllers, I found one that I am preferring. It is the one that jhndeergrn spoke of, the Sprint Booster.
It is compact and Stealthy, the Control Module can be unplugged once a setting is selected, and I really don't have any need for a Slower pedal response (AKA ECO Mode).

The part number for the Ranger version is: SBFO1023s

Last edited:

OffroadAlliance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadalliance.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2021 Raptor, 2022 F250, 2023 Bronco
How Does Pedal Commander Work and Why Do You Need One?

You must have noticed that when you step on the gas pedal with the intention to overtake a slow-moving car or just beat the guy next you, there is some lag between your foot mashing the skinny pedal and your engine reacting. This is because the digital signal from the pedal first goes to the engine control unit, which eventually transmits it to the motor for action.

The Pedal Commander is designed to reduce the delay in the signal between throttle and engine. It basically speeds up the signal thus eliminating the delay. Not only that, but the Pedal Commander offers 30+ individual settings allowing you to fine tune the the sensitivity of your gas pedal to your exact desire. There's even an Eco mode designed to help slow the pedal to save increase fuel economy. Or turn it up to the Sport or Sport+ modes and get near instant response!

Install takes minutes and can easily be removed. It does not reprogram the vehicles ECU so there aren’t any footprints for the dealer to see. It does not add any horsepower or torque. While it feels like you’re gaining power, it’s actually just removing the throttle delay and causing the vehicle to react faster. These are now Bluetooth enabled allowing you to adjust settings on your phone in addition to the unit itself.

As always, use discount code PC5 for 5% and free shipping. These are in stock and ship out right away.

Link --->>> OFFROADALLIANCE.COM

QLPf6fR.jpg

OP
OP
Stic-o

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No worries Harry. Great thing about this country, is we're all welcome to have our own opinion. If this helps someones decide what's best for there truck, then my job is done.
Sponsored