Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Straight from the SAE Doc.

3.2.1 Tow-vehicles Under 8500 lb GVWR
TVTW is the weight of the tow-vehicle used for EPA emissions and fuel economy certification including all options inx Ecess of 33% sales penetration plus one 68.0 kg (150 lb) driver and one 68.0 kg (150 lb) front seat passenger, plus thet Tow-vehicle manufacturer’s available trailering package and/or any required trailering content (if not included in the 33% option penetration weight) plus representative aftermarket trailering equipment as specified in 5.2. In the case where a trailering package is not available from the tow-vehicle manufacturer or it does not include a trailer hitch component, the representative aftermarket trailering equipment as specified in 5.2 shall include a trailer hitch component.

3.2.2 Tow-vehicles at 8500 lb or Greater GVWR
TVTW is base vehicle curb weight plus one 68.0 kg (150 lb) driver and one 68.0 kg (150 lb) front seat passenger plus 45.4 kg (100 lb) of optional equipment split evenly between front and rear axles plus the tow-vehicle manufacturer’s available trailering package and/or any required trailering content and representative aftermarket trailering equipment as specified in 5.2. In the case where a trailering package is not available from the tow-vehicle manufacturer or it does not include a trailer hitch component, the representative aftermarket trailering equipment as specified in 5.2 shall include a trailer hitch component.
Typical legal mumbo jumbo. Not sure what the legal definition of TVTW is. Cannot be tow rating or you couldn't tow greater than the GVWR of the truck. Assume it is Tow Vehicle Towing Weigh and is used in some other calculations.
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
But GCVW is 12,500. So you can come close. I have added some accessories, but also removed a little. The adds are greater than the removes. I typically head out at GCVW around 11,700.
Be careful with that. The GCVWR for you 2WD Super Cab is actuslly 12,150 not 12,500 it varies with cab and drive configuration. Your still good at 11,700 though.

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Payload sticker includes a 150lbs driver, passenger, a full tank of gas and all fluids require to drive.

Unless you weight more than 300lbs or that all of your passenger weight more than 300lbs, you do not have to count yourself or them in the payload calculation. If you are above that weight, just substract 300lbs from the total passenger weight. IE me and my buddy, when we go hunting, are about 500lbs total, thus we are actually using 200lbs of the payload of my truck just to carry our two fat asses around.

But you still need to account for anything else beyond that as it sill goes against your payload. So your tools, all the mods on the truck, the trailer tongue weight, gear in the cab and bed, etc.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Payload sticker includes a 150lbs driver, passenger, a full tank of gas and all fluids require to drive.
Where is this written down? The payload sticker says occupents, it does not mention exceptions for driver and front seat passenger.

SAE J2807 sets performance standards for setting trail tow ratings. Nothing to do with vehicle payload limits.

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Where is this written down? The payload sticker says occupents, it does not mention exceptions for driver and front seat passenger.

SAE J2807 sets performance standards for setting trail tow ratings. Nothing to do with vehicle payload limits.
I cannot find it in my owners manual, but my 4runner would explicitly state that was how they calculated payload. If you needed to account for every single pounds of passenger, most cars would not be able to hit the road with 4 adults...

stufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 302a, Technology Pack, FX4
I was also unable to find anything useful in the owner's manual regarding payload (other than some oddly specific word problems about how to calculate the weight of cargo).

Screenshot_20220824-074527.png
However, per the 2019 Ranger Brochure...footnote 4 "weights shown are for properly equipped vehicle with required equipment and 150 lb driver."

Last edited:

Johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Retail
1681 payload … 2022 XL Supercab with 101a package and 4x4
No tow package. But did add hitch and brake control.

63AE4C92-2953-43AD-B633-66F9BCA40D5C.png

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Are you worried about tire payload? Best is to use the tire manufacters recommendations for your tire. Then get a chart that tells you how much air pressure for the weight on the tire. Then go to a weight station and weigh your truck front and back and if you have a trailer then weight it hooked up. Make a chart for every scenario that you have. Put it in the glove box with a good tire pressure gauge. Check tires early and often. After dropping your mother in law off you may want to adjust your tire pressure. LOL

OP
OP
ctechbob

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
Are you worried about tire payload? Best is to use the tire manufacters recommendations for your tire. Then get a chart that tells you how much air pressure for the weight on the tire. Then go to a weight station and weigh your truck front and back and if you have a trailer then weight it hooked up. Make a chart for every scenario that you have. Put it in the glove box with a good tire pressure gauge. Check tires early and often. After dropping your mother in law off you may want to adjust your tire pressure. LOL

Not worried about anything, this is merely an information thread.

stufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1681 payload … 2022 XL Supercab with 101a package and 4x4
No tow package. But did add hitch and brake control.

63AE4C92-2953-43AD-B633-66F9BCA40D5C.png
Interesting that your payload rating is higher than the official maximum of 1650 for a 4x4.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
On the GM I just got rid of; the company that installed the running boards put a warning sticker near the official weight plate thing that showed "this truck was modified and its payload was X and is now X"..... pretty much the same. Running boards didn't weigh that much. I guess just something they did to cover themselves since they screwed around with a one ton - got the 3500 because of the camera more than anything on the van. Didn't need the towing at the time.

I've never seen that before or since... (6 years ago or so). The sticker with a modification warning.

Makes more sense if someone adds a 600 lbs light rack/roll bar... but people like to sue? maybe?

Note: I never knew that weight accounted for a 150pd driver. Learned something in this thread. I am a bit more than that - but good to know. Edit... it seems the freaking manual says it... so ... read the thing I guess.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Interesting that your payload rating is higher than the official maximum of 1650 for a 4x4.
That's because he has a base XL with no options, as built from the factory. Every trucks sticker will be somewhat different based on as built weight from factory. Everything you or the dealer adds after that counts against that payload number. He added a hitch that added weight, counts against the payload. That payload number on the yellow sticker only applies with the truck as it comes off the assembly line

The number that really counts is on the white sticker. Actually there are three numbers on there. They are the GVWR and the two Axle Weight Ratings. If you are towing then there is also the GCVWR. Which is not the same for every Ranger. It varies depending if your truck is a SCAB or SCREW and if it is 4x4 or 4x2. You should not to over any one of them. And, contrary to some people, suspension changes do not change any one of these ratings.

stufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's because he has a base XL with no options, as built from the factory. Every trucks sticker will be somewhat different based on as built weight from factory. Everything you or the dealer adds after that counts against that payload number. He added a hitch that added weight, counts against the payload. That payload number on the yellow sticker only applies with the truck as it comes off the assembly line

The number that really counts is on the white sticker. Actually there are three numbers on there. They are the GVWR and the two Axle Weight Ratings. If you are towing then there is also the GCVWR. Which is not the same for every Ranger. It varies depending if your truck is a SCAB or SCREW and if it is 4x4 or 4x2. You should not to over any one of them. And, contrary to some people, suspension changes do not change any one of these ratings.

I have always heard that the "max" payloads listed in Ford literature only apply to a given body style without any options. I was referring to the following info:

2020 Ranger Payload Ratings.PNG

I would have assumed the absolute maximum payload for a 4x4 Ranger would be 1,650 lbs...as stated by Ford. I'm surprised that an XL with a 101a pack (not completely base) is > 30 lbs. above that. I'm impressed.

I'm also curious what a completely base supercab XL 100A 4x4 is actually rated at.

Last edited:

reidmefirst

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Computer stuff
2021 supercab, lariat, 501a, fx4, chrome package (not sure if normal bumper covers are metal?, whether this affects the total vehicle weight) meaning 18" wheels. Tires are normal tires, not LT rated.

Payload according to the sticker is 1518 pounds.

I guess this means 6050 (GVWR) - 1518 (max payload) = 4532 as the base truck weight.

I weighed my vehicle at the CAT scale and subtracted my weight out, and got 4600 pounds. I had a bunch of tools in the cab, plus my truck has an aftermarket tow hitch, so this seems about right.

Fun to see all the numbers work out. And also fun that you can easily calculate your truck's weight (at least with the factory options) based on GVWR (always 6050) minus doorjamb payload.

One thing is for sure: 5th gen rangers are *heavy* compared to the previous ones. About 1000 pounds heavier when comparably equipped (fully decked out 4th gen to fully decked out 5th gen).
Sponsored