Open diff vs. rear e locker - did I make a mistake?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I won't argue that with my 2019 Ranger that I had I did not have a locker in the rear. When I got it I can tell you it wasn't on my mind either for good reasons. What did I do to it? I did the Old Man EMU lift with 33 inch tires and I added the terrain control. With all that I was able to do quite a bit. Lowering tire pressure helped quite a bit too. That said there were still situations where a rear locker would have come in handy.

As for my current rig(1993 Nissan Pathfinder) it has a factory LSD that works very well(about a 270 FT LB breaking force to break loose). Thanks to that I can tell you that a locker makes a difference. As for the Pathfinder I can say the rear will stay as is and the front may get a locker in the futures. It's just not a concern at this time
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You probably already know this. Eaton makes a ELocker for the M190 (29 Spline -Non FX4 vehicles only) . I believe it also requires the purchase of a new RING gear because the factory one is welded on. ARB makes an Air Locker... but the downside is that requires a air compression.
The M190 is the front axle on the Ranger regardless if it's FX4 or not. The rear axle does have a spline count change depending if it has the factory E-Locker or not. That would be the M220

Big Bri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XL Supercab 4x4
Lots of opinions expressed here on this (and that is good) and here is mine... The OP is in California where there are few areas that would really need a locker. If trips are made over to the Rubicon or Moab or Colorado, then yes. I went through the Bronco Off-Rodeo class in Moab recently and the instructors were teaching that if your vehicle is long wheelbase (i.e. ranger) than only a rear locker would be needed to get unstuck in severe conditions, and likewise if you have a short wheelbase Bronco (two door) then they recommend front and rear lockers. I previously owned a 1977 Dodge W100 short box with full time all wheel drive and front and rear lockers from the factory. It was superior offroad in my local area of Ouray Colorado compared to my Ranger. It's also worthwhile to state that the rear locker option on the Ranger was only a couple hundred dollars if I remember correctly, when I had ordered my Ranger. Worth it if you are into off roading.

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lots of opinions expressed here on this (and that is good) and here is mine... The OP is in California where there are few areas that would really need a locker. If trips are made over to the Rubicon or Moab or Colorado, then yes. I went through the Bronco Off-Rodeo class in Moab recently and the instructors were teaching that if your vehicle is long wheelbase (i.e. ranger) than only a rear locker would be needed to get unstuck in severe conditions, and likewise if you have a short wheelbase Bronco (two door) then they recommend front and rear lockers. I previously owned a 1977 Dodge W100 short box with full time all wheel drive and front and rear lockers from the factory. It was superior offroad in my local area of Ouray Colorado compared to my Ranger.
Generally speaking a shorter wheelbase is better for Off-road anyways. As for where you go to what you need? I agree to an extent. Did a good bit of wheeling in Colorado with my Ranger and didn't have a locker where I would have benefited with one. Does that mean no locker is ok? Like you said it really depends on what you are doing. Probably one of those better to have and not need than need and not have.

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
The M190 is the front axle on the Ranger regardless if it's FX4 or not. The rear axle does have a spline count change depending if it has the factory E-Locker or not. That would be the M220

Thank You, Edited. I thought that didn't sound right. Good news it looks like Eaton makes a elocker for the front too.

Burnt Money

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
All I can speak for is mud. I live in the low country of SC. It’s super flat and on the coast so rock climbing isn’t a thing. I have an FX4 and never needed the locker. Going from the stock Dynapro tires to the Cooper Rugged Treks was a game changer. I had to get some firewood last weekend at my buddies property for a lake party. It was a muddy mess getting to it. The same trail with stock tires in the same conditions was 4wd on the stock tires before. With the Rugged Treks I didn’t need 4wd. Not scientific by any means but I’ve been down that trail a lot of times in the past couple of years. If you don’t have aggressive tires that might be a worthwhile upgrade.

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
Wheelbase has nothing to do with need for a locker. Articulation might in that less of it tends to lift wheels. Traction is traction. Good, big, aired down tires are crucial, but you gotta get mechanical a lot of the time too.

OP
OP
Gibs45

Gibs45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Sport 4x4 Cactus Grey
Occupation
Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of opinions expressed here on this (and that is good) and here is mine... The OP is in California where there are few areas that would really need a locker. If trips are made over to the Rubicon or Moab or Colorado, then yes. I went through the Bronco Off-Rodeo class in Moab recently and the instructors were teaching that if your vehicle is long wheelbase (i.e. ranger) than only a rear locker would be needed to get unstuck in severe conditions, and likewise if you have a short wheelbase Bronco (two door) then they recommend front and rear lockers. I previously owned a 1977 Dodge W100 short box with full time all wheel drive and front and rear lockers from the factory. It was superior offroad in my local area of Ouray Colorado compared to my Ranger. It's also worthwhile to state that the rear locker option on the Ranger was only a couple hundred dollars if I remember correctly, when I had ordered my Ranger. Worth it if you are into off roading.
Yeah agreed - I would have totally looked for/ordered the locker if I didn’t buy it straight off the lot! Truthfully had no idea what it was at the time

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger Ë‹19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2
I'm not entirely sure how the Ranger handles it, but in 4low you'd normally not have the normal TC active. It tends to get in the way when doing proper offroading. You should be in 4low when doing any low speed offroading, especially in spots where you might get stuck.

If you're in 4high it is likely still active but that mode is really meant for dirt tracks and similar, not actual offroading.

If you have terrain modes, those are a form of traction control that works in 4L and 4H.
Right. No driving aid @ 4L

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger Ë‹19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2
…
I do believe in leaving as little of a footprint as I can while enjoying my motorized crap in the woods.
…
Very reasonable attitude. Appropriate for a thinking creature.

If only more of the so-called human race would be so smart... and less greedy about it.
🖖🏻

Reactions: Daz

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Very reasonable attitude. Appropriate for a thinking creature.

If only more of the so-called human race would be so smart... and less greedy about it.
🖖🏻
This.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
love it. Watched your YT videos earlier with the Ranger. Enjoy the bronco man

Thanks! I'll make some YT stuff with the Bronco hopefully within the month.. have an appointment to install a 2" lift and fit 35"s on the 16th 🙂 then it's getting rust proofed on the 18th... then it's ready to wheel 🤠 super excited.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
What is "proper offroading"?
Very subjective and divisive topic, but I'd say proper off roading refers to driving on dedicated 4x4 trails or otherwise where there isn't a road. What many people refer to as off roading is really just driving on a bumpy forest road that might have some ruts from water erosion. If a subaru outback can go down the same trail, then it's not proper off roading and you're actually on a road.

Nothing wrong with that - it's an ideal road for our trucks tbh. It's fun, gets you access to cool stuff, and there's very little risk of fucking anything up. Especially if you have a 4x4 pickup!

Lockers are nice, but I wouldn't add one if the truck didn't come with it already.
Sponsored